• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mark Joyce on Syracuse's 2-pt conversion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  1,290
  • Days Won:  0

Since I did not have a chance to see the replay, did Mark Joyce get rid of the ball intentionally in the end zone? Did anyone forget that we can win from that play? We can from a fumble or PAT.

I wonder why they played for 2-pt conversion? How can we kick a FG with 3 seconds and a kickoff? If I were Syracuse coach, I would call a knee down.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  1

Since I did not have a chance to see the replay, did Mark Joyce get rid of the ball intentionally in the end zone? Did anyone forget that we can win from that play? We can from a fumble or PAT.

I wonder why they played for 2-pt conversion? How can we kick a FG with 3 seconds and a kickoff? If I were Syracuse coach, I would call a knee down.

I disagree. You have to go up 3 at that point. 2 does you know different than where you are. Sure it is unlikely but a great return combined with a late hit out of bounds, face mask, etc puts you in field goal range and the game can't end on a penalty by the kicking team. Highly unlikely - yes, impossible - No. The odds of a 2pt conversion being run back they other way - Even less likely. Cuse made the correct call - IMHO

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I was wondering the same thing. Very unlikely he could return it or lateral to someone who could, but it's a free play when you only have three seconds left. Our chances would have been better to return that than the score off the kickoff return.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  397
  • Days Won:  0

jjlovecub has it correct...The game cannot end on a defensive penalty, so it could be possible to kick a field goal after time has expired. Yes, it would be a highly unlikely and very wild finish, but entirely possible.

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

About ten years ago, a lower division playoff game ended with an interception return on a PAT (turning a 1-point win into a 1-point loss) with about 3 seconds left. If I was Syracuse, I take a knee or run a "safe" play on the PAT. Our INT was in the back of the endzone and it looked like our player had already stepped out the back before he could set up a return. True, though, that on a kickoff, a penalty on the kicking team could be enforced and set up a FG with no time left.