• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Heath: South Florida will push ball this season, still focus on defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

South Florida coach Stan Heath had no issues admitting his Bulls were far from a thing of beauty last season, even as they shocked the Big East -- and even the country -- by winning 22 games and making the NCAA tournament.

It was like watching a great pitcher's duel, or a 10-7 NFL game on a Sunday afternoon. It'll be different this season, though.

Heath is now shouting at his point guard, Anthony Collins, to push the ball virtually every time he gets it -- after last season it was a grind-out offense in which South Florida at times made Notre Dame look like one of those old Loyola Marymount teams. The Bulls hung their hat on defense a year ago, and that's why they finished fourth in the Big East and made the NCAA tournament. But now Heath is hopeful that the stingy defense will stick around -- and blend with a new offense that should put up more than the 59.3 points it averaged in 2011-12.

"Our team was really unselfish last year," Collins said. "Guys weren't looking for their shots and were playing the right way. It was rare."

"This year we're going to get up and down," he added. "We don't have a true big man. It's going to be exciting."

It'll be Toarlyn Fitzpatrick, who is more of a four-man, who should receive the bulk of the minutes at the center spot. Florida Atlantic one-year transfer Kore White should help -- as will 6-foot-7, 235-pound freshman Zach LeDay. Victor Rudd returns after averaging 9.3 points per game and will play both forward spots this season. The mild-mannered Collins is the face of this program and will run the show again.

"He's pushing the ball," Heath smiled. "And everyone else is trying to catch up to him."

Heath said that his team will have to remain unselfish, but will need to cut down on turnovers in order to be more effective on the offensive end. South Florida finished 22-14 last season and, more importantly, was 12-6 in Big East play. The conference mark, after a couple of huge league wins against Cincinnati and on the road against Louisville, were ultimately what got the Bulls into the NCAA tourney.

Gus Gilchrist, who led a team with no double-digit scorers last season at 9.5 points per game, is gone. However, South Florida was picked eighth in the preseason poll, one spot ahead of UConn. I never thought I'd see the day that the Bulls would have higher expectations than the Huskies, but with Collins and the defense in check, there are expectations in Tampa.

But Heath understands what matters in achieving those expectations.

"We still have to defend," he said. "We can't compromise on that end of the floor. We have to remain committed."

http://www.cbssports...ocus-on-defense

Edited by Vega

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Hellz yeah!! There is nothing like uptempo basketball. AC will be fun to watch!

I do find it interesting that Heath wants it to be known nationally that his team is preparing to play some up tempo. He really didn't need to tell the national guys something like that. When thinking about it, I believe this has a whole lot to do with recruiting and getting the attention of fans to attend more USF home games.

Anyways the whole team benefits from it and Stan has even said that he wants his team to shoot more three-pointers in games as well. Fitzpatrick, Noriega, Hawkins, and Aleem will enjoy that. Rudd has said that he wants to cut down on his long jumpers, so we'll just have to see how that works. On the other hand Collins wants to increase his attempts and makes to force the defense play him honest.

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  3,084

I do find it interesting that Heath wants it to be known nationally that his team is preparing to play some up tempo. He really didn't need to tell the national guys something like that. When thinking about it, I believe this has a whole lot to do with recruiting and getting the attention of fans to attend more USF home games.

Anyways the whole team benefits from it and Stan has even said that he wants his team to shoot more three-pointers in games as well. Fitzpatrick, Noriega, Hawkins, and Aleem will enjoy that. Rudd has said that he wants to cut down on his long jumpers, so we'll just have to see how that works. On the other hand Collins wants to increase his attempts and makes to force the defense play him honest.

Personally I don't care if he talks about it nationally, I don't care for what reasons he's saying it. Just do it.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Winning is nice. Maybe football can learn to adjust to personnel

• Topic Count:  102
  • Content Count:  1,679
  • Days Won:  1

Basketball can't start soon enough.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  1,055

• I agree it for Recruiting and I really hope Henry and Morgan are reading along with Allen

• 4 weeks later...

Well before the season I stated that if Heath is to stubborn to play an uptempo game of basketball with this roster then USF would not fair well. So far it has been status quo with Stan and that's the biggest reason why his team lost to WMU. Make no mistake this loss was all on him. I was talking about real uptempo ball with Austin, never mind without him. Heath has to realize that Anderson and Gilchrist are gone and that team he had last season will never be at USF again.

As long as Stan Heath continues to make his small team play Punch Out with the other teams then this is going to be yet another losing season for him. Very little chance of having success with this conservative mentality.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

Well before the season I stated that if Heath is to stubborn to play an uptempo game of basketball with this roster then USF would not fair well. So far it has been status quo with Stan and that's the biggest reason why his team lost to WMU. Make no mistake this loss was all on him. I was talking about real uptempo ball with Austin, never mind without him. Heath has to realize that Anderson and Gilchrist are gone and that team he had last season will never be at USF again.

As long as Stan Heath continues to make his small team play Punch Out with the other teams then this is going to be yet another losing season for him. Very little chance of having success with this conservative mentality.

Thanks for adding a little levity to all the gloom and doom surrounding the football season ....

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Can't push the ball if you can't rebound.