• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Greg's Article I love...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  370
  • Days Won:  0

A couple of weeks ago on the "Gary and the Commish Show" Gary Shelton asked Justin and Greg Auman this question : Since Holtz has been here, which player has gotten better? I couldn't think of anyone

It was only a few years ago we had a kid on the Butkus Award watch list...when they interviewed his high school football coach, his coach said something to the effect of "They took a kid that was a backup for our high school and made him a Butkus Award candidate.

My my how times have changed...

Do you remember who the player was?

VASSAY MARC: Linebacker, 6-2, 230

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS: Named to the Butkus Award "watch list" in the preseason and was considered an NFL prospect until a season-ending neck injury. ... Was on his way to his best season, with 33 tackles (five for a loss), three forced fumbles and 1.5 sacks in five games. ... Had 79 tackles in 1998, including six for a loss (two sacks).

NOTABLE: His 2000 season was cut short because of a herniated disc in his neck. He has not played since Sept. 30 against Troy State. ... May still be able to participate in NFL combines this winter and spring. ... Earned a college scholarship despite playing only special teams at Miami Northwestern High.

QUOTABLE: "Me not playing, it hurts me so much because ... I helped start this. It brings tears to my eyes knowing I won't be able to (play). I'm going to come out with the team, but it's not going to be the same."

12 years > "only a few years ago" .... Apparently times changed a while back.

Ya, a bit confused here

• Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777

I have to admit under Leavitt the defense was USF's strength.

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

A couple of weeks ago on the "Gary and the Commish Show" Gary Shelton asked Justin and Greg Auman this question : Since Holtz has been here, which player has gotten better? I couldn't think of anyone

It was only a few years ago we had a kid on the Butkus Award watch list...when they interviewed his high school football coach, his coach said something to the effect of "They took a kid that was a backup for our high school and made him a Butkus Award candidate.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS: Named to the Butkus Award "watch list" in the preseason and was considered an NFL prospect until a season-ending neck injury. ... Was on his way to his best season, with 33 tackles (five for a loss), three forced fumbles and 1.5 sacks in five games. ... Had 79 tackles in 1998, including six for a loss (two sacks).

NOTABLE: His 2000 season was cut short because of a herniated disc in his neck. He has not played since Sept. 30 against Troy State. ... May still be able to participate in NFL combines this winter and spring. ... Earned a college scholarship despite playing only special teams at Miami Northwestern High.

QUOTABLE: "Me not playing, it hurts me so much because ... I helped start this. It brings tears to my eyes knowing I won't be able to (play). I'm going to come out with the team, but it's not going to be the same."

12 years > "only a few years ago" .... Apparently times changed a while back.

Ya, a bit confused here

Yeah but 12 years ago and a "few" years ago we had Leavitt. How many times do you expect a staff to take a 2nd stringer from high school and make him one of the top players in the country at his position.

But Leavitt recruited diamonds in the rough without benefits most coaches had...

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

GA is a great writer

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

You don't have to go that far back. Stephen Nicholas (3 time nominee) and Ben Moffitt were on the watch list:

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=1179703

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=563822

I think Kawika Mitchell made it pretty far in the process as well and went way past the pre season watch list.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

Coaching staff needs to go. They aren't learning from their mistakes. They can't manage a game. They haven't developed as coaches and the team has regressed. How can you lose in the same fashion week after week and not have learned anything by now? How close we've been in every game the last two years but lost every single time shows a lack of coaching ability.

Not even so much ability as just simple awareness...3min left, you have the lead and your opponet has 3 TO's play 'em tight! Not zone deep! All staff should go but no excuse to not fire Cosh at this point

Exactly. Soft zone every time the game is on the line. But hey, at least Cosh was rushing 4 this time instead of just 3.

Defense 101: when your opponent needs to go 75 yards in a hurry, don't give them the time to do it. We have some reallly good proven blitzers in the defensive backfield. Lejiste used to make big plays when he was brought in on blitzes. Jenkins, Joyce and Cliett are potential speedy pash rushers. Is it that our corner opposite Webster is just not good enough to leave in man coverage?

All you had to do was watch what Louisville did to us when we had the ball at the end of the game. Blitz, and play tight coverage. It is VERY obvious to anyone with two eyes how to stop our passing game.