• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Not all bad, but....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

First I have to give the defense props. They played aggressive and hard for the first time all year. They finally got pressure on the quarterback, they were decent against the run. they did better than I expected.

On offense, I was embarrassed that this team played not to lose. no creativity, nothing tricky whatsoever. And our wide receivers had a terrible game. They do not try to attack the football in the air. They make a mediocre passer look much worse than he is. If BJ had the effort from the receivers,that the other team put out on getting the ball this game might have been different.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I certainly do not think we were out classed talent wise this game. we have some talent. Much more than our win and loss record shows.

Edited by FatDaddyBull

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

If it wasnt for that Floyd fumble, we would have only been down by 6. That drained the life of the team for a while. Our receivers were crap on the long ball. At least three balls that would have been touchdowns if they were caught.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Our patented "throw the ball 40 yards down field and hope our guy out jumps theirs" approach to throwing the long ball is (shockingly) far less effective against good defenses. We tried to throw a long ball to end the first half, BJ starred at one receiver for 3 seconds then threw it to him despite a defender immediately in front and behind him. Cost us three points.

The offensive game plan really seemed good to me. It was a solid mix of run option, short passes, and the occasional stretch the field play. BJ also seemed to have good touch on the ball today, much better than in previous starts.

I don't believe in moral victories. Obviously USF has a long way to go before we can legitimately compete w/ a top 5 team. But what we saw out there today could easily compete in the Big East. The question is was it a fluke, do we go back to the same level of effort and execution we showed in our previous 4 games, or did we actually wake up. Either way, the fact that we have the talent to hang in there for most of the game today further cements my feeling that Skip is in way over his head. It is his job to get USF to play to their full potential, and clearly we haven't done that earlier this season.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565

If it wasnt for that Floyd fumble, we would have only been down by 6. That drained the life of the team for a while. Our receivers were crap on the long ball. At least three balls that would have been touchdowns if they were caught.

I agree.

I was very upset by the play call. Just run and settle for the punt there.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369

I agree.

I really hate to continue to harp on BJs decision making, but I recall when Matt went down a few years back (might have even been the injury that resulted in BJ taking over)... he later commented that he stayed on the ground much longer than needed because he realized the backup QB could a few minutes to get his arm warm. BJ on the other hand sneaks over to the sideline and doesn't even let the officials know he is hurt! That entire play was just a complete cluster.

Not to defend the coaches - it was a dumb decision - but I think there was a lot of unnecessary confusion. Also it seemed at that point we were down 13, but FSU was scoring pretty much every possession. To turn around and 3 and out them again was almost giving the game away. It was a tough call.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  924
  • Days Won:  1

I agree.

I really hate to continue to harp on BJs decision making, but I recall when Matt went down a few years back (might have even been the injury that resulted in BJ taking over)... he later commented that he stayed on the ground much longer than needed because he realized the backup QB could a few minutes to get his arm warm. BJ on the other hand sneaks over to the sideline and doesn't even let the officials know he is hurt! That entire play was just a complete cluster.

Not to defend the coaches - it was a dumb decision - but I think there was a lot of unnecessary confusion. Also it seemed at that point we were down 13, but FSU was scoring pretty much every possession. To turn around and 3 and out them again was almost giving the game away. It was a tough call.

I don't think BJ could even think after the play, he finished the game concussed probably. He took a big one to the head

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565

I agree.

Regardless of the confusion, you still don't run a pass play with the backup in 3rd and long and that deep in your own territory.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

I agree.

I don't think BJ could even think after the play, he finished the game concussed probably. He took a big one to the head

Exactly ... Dogging BJ about that is total ********. When he came off, I think he was saying "I can't see"... I was surprised he came right back out for the next series .. and the only reason I can see calling a pass play there is maybe trying to surprise FSU ... not a smart move.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

He could have put me in there and even I know TO HOLD ON TO THE BALL, NO EXCUSES.