• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt on 98.7

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

His heart is still here at USF. You can hear it in his voice.

amen to that. The matter what, he is the godfather of USF football and we owe him gratitude for what he did for this program.

He still loves this school, because he knows without him, none of this would be possible.

I don't think that is Leavitt's take at all. He has repeatedly said how many people worked so hard to make it all happen. He led that building process no doubt-- but I think he sees it more as something he is proud to be associated with than something that would never have happened without him specifically.

I can see how that might our feelings on the matter though. I don't think anyone really expected the rise to happen quite as fast as it did-- but USF has some pretty determined people working hard in many facets. As much as they get beat down, there are some seriously dedicated people inside the athletic program.

You may be right on his thoughts. You're right about there being many who were responsible. Heck, one could argue Selmon was even more vital. For him to still love the program that much just shocked me a little. He even at the one time mentioned his eyes were tearing up.

That raw emotion he brought was fantastic. He may not feel fully responsible, but he's definitely a large part of why we're not on the fau, fiu level. That passion meant we were never not going to give any team we played a tough time.

Unfortunately I agreed he'd brought us as far as he could, and I think his ego got a little too big down the stretch. I think he might even have come to realize that now. Sometimes it takes something like that to show someone why they didn't get further. I always blamed his failure to go further on that and loyalty to awful offensive coordinators.

He brought out a lot of emotion and he still obviously does. As much as I wanted him fired when he was, I'd totally allow myself to fall head over heels for him all over again if Skip were fired. Jim is a special guy.

Very good and very fair assessment. Thanks.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  0

I want to tackle someone now.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I don't know anything about leavitts ego, but, its funny that its mentioned... I mean... he wasn't the one who thought you could just plug in s new coach and...poof... next level.

Seems to me that Judy and Dougie were the ones who let their ego make decisions in all of his mess. I'm sure if he did say that he was the most powerful man in the building, that rubbed them the wrong way... may have pushed them over the edge. Truth be told, he was probably correct (from an influential standpoint, obviously his job wasn't guaranteed).

• Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  742
  • Days Won:  0

Selmon was way more influential than Leavitt. Everyone (donors) opened their doors for Lee Roy. Without him there is no football.

Edited by jaym

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  245
  • Days Won:  1

That was the voice of USF football past.

At about 9:00pm on Saturday night, USF football now will truly hit all of us.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Selmon was way more influential than Leavitt. Everyone (donors) opened their doors for Lee Roy. Without him there is no football.

I loved Selmon and he was great for USF. I spent time with him, great man, very humble and approachable.

Having said that, you're wrong. It was a group effort no doubt, but, Leavitt got the wins on the field. Leavitt recruited the players. Leavitt developed quite a bit of NFL talent.

In 2007, I didn't spend every waking minute trying to find out what Selmon was doing, but, I sure as **** hung on every word that coach uttered. Do you remember Leavitt being interviewed during the UF - Auburn game after our win over WVU?

While he was here, Jim was USF football. Now, USF football is a combination of soft defense, lackluster effort, and losses piling up at an alarming rate.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

I loved Selmon and he was great for USF. I spent time with him, great man, very humble and approachable.

Having said that, you're wrong. It was a group effort no doubt, but, Leavitt got the wins on the field. Leavitt recruited the players. Leavitt developed quite a bit of NFL talent.

In 2007, I didn't spend every waking minute trying to find out what Selmon was doing, but, I sure as **** hung on every word that coach uttered. Do you remember Leavitt being interviewed during the UF - Auburn game after our win over WVU?

While he was here, Jim was USF football. Now, USF football is a combination of soft defense, lackluster effort, and losses piling up at an alarming rate.

+1 I miss Jim.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I don't know anything about leavitts ego, but, its funny that its mentioned... I mean... he wasn't the one who thought you could just plug in s new coach and...poof... next level.

Seems to me that Judy and Dougie were the ones who let their ego make decisions in all of his mess. I'm sure if he did say that he was the most powerful man in the building, that rubbed them the wrong way... may have pushed them over the edge. Truth be told, he was probably correct (from an influential standpoint, obviously his job wasn't guaranteed).

He was accused of hitting a player. It wasn't Judy and Doug's egos, in fact there has been mention that they tried to sweep it under the rug. I don't think either one wanted to fire him.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

If Jim came clean to Judy when she asked he'd still be here... Doug and Judy knew exactly what happened the entire time and it was like a flood for them.