• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Question About Playing In Reno

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Reno's altitude is almost as high as Denver. Is this going to pose any problems regarding conditioning for our guys?

I imagine Kloss would be helped in kicking off so hopefully we will see more of the same results as last week.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Yes

Last time we traveled to play in altitude was the Sun Bowl where our team played like they'd spent the previous night in Juarez drinking tequila and taking in a donkey show.

Running game to slow the game down and D-Line rotation will be key.

The good news is Nevada is not half as good as the Oregon team that embarrassed us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

let it go already-- it's been five years

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

it wasn't the altitude that doomed them in the sun bowl, it was that the game plan was exactly the same as it had been all year, and oregon used their time off to prepare for it.

a well conditioned team shouldn't be affected too much. ucf did okay against byu (minus the turnovers which lost them the game), and fsu did pretty well against byu in 2009 (the week before we played them).

nevada will be a good game - but i watched that video that was in the other nevada thread....they don't look that great. they beat a cal team who has a swiss cheese defense, and still didn't beat them that handily. this game is winnable.

Edited by Danm1983

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  48
  • Days Won:  0

Reno's altitude is almost as high as Denver. Is this going to pose any problems regarding conditioning for our guys?

I imagine Kloss would be helped in kicking off so hopefully we will see more of the same results as last week.

We're at 4,500 feet. The biggest difference between Denver and Reno (besides population, an NFL team and a bunch of other things) is the humidity. It will be about 15% humidity at game time.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I'm sure we'll get there early enough to have some solid practices and acclimate to the oxygen levels at higher elevation.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

15% is basically no humidity to people from Florida

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

OH NO, the dreaded humidity. Hopefully Skip and BJ have a plan in place. ;)

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

Not just the altitude, but we have gone West 3 times and been blown out 3 times..... El Paso, Utah and San Diego State. But those were different players playing for a different coach.

I think we will be ok, I really believe that there is a talent gap from the Mountain West to the Big East and even if they are one of the best in the Mountain West, if we are really one of the best in the Big East, then we should have more talent on the field, and that will overcome altitude and jet lag.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  0

Living in Denver that last 6 years I can say it will play both physical and psychological. Usually you see the effects in the second half when dehydration and fatigue set in; the key is keeping guys fresh. We'll also need to run the ball to keep the D getting too tired.

The Broncos were at their best when they were running the ball and than dropping the hammer in the second half...plus they have two large signs in the stadium (visitor's locker room and tunnel to the field) that says "Welcome to Denver you are 5280 feet above sea level"