• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Crazy questionAbout ocs

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Then the 2020 or 2024 ;)

2020 - Zero the finalist cities are: Tokyo, Madrid, and Istanbul

2024 - Who knows, but slim

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

Just watched VT's opening; just makes me sad to think of ours saturday

Best College football entrance in the nation, I was there for the 04 beat down.

I miss this series and the black diamond trophy. I loved this series better mote than the backyard brawl.

Edited by jvwvu

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

This whole thread, lol, just hilarious.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

bucs are not going anywhere. although they hardly sell out they are one of the most profitable franchises in the nfl

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Burn the ship!!!

Concrete doesn't burn!

While you are corret in the "burn" statement, concrete will break down, as it is not fireproof. So, fire can destroy concrete, which is the goal in this scenario.

Can Concrete Burn?

Answer.gif

Concrete Does NOT burn.

More Info: When considering a house fire, concrete structures do not burn like wood and other similar building materials. In fact, concrete walls have been known to block a fire from spreading into adjacent rooms.

When considering skin contact, concrete CAN burn.

Concrete Structures Are Highly Fire Resistant

Concrete does not immediately disintegrate under the stress from the heat of a normal house fire. Under most conditions, it does not begin to become affected by a heat source until it has reached thousands of degrees Fahrenheit, much higher than a typical house fire. Insulate concrete forms (ICF) also impede the spread of fire by slowing the spread of the flame as well as hindering the transfer of the heat of the fire through the wall.

Concrete Structures Are Not Fireproof

That does not mean that a concrete structure is indestructible to fire. Concrete that has been heated and placed under stress will begin to spall due to the uneven expansion of the various materials that were used in the concrete mixing process. This breakdown of the concrete is dependent upon many variables including water content, aggregate used in the mix, and rapid changes in temperature can break down the bonds that hold concrete together, causing it to crumble.

Concrete Spalling Is Highly Variable

The interaction between concrete and heat is highly variable. For example, newly poured concrete is more susceptible to spalling due to its higher water content. The aggregate material used in the concrete mixture is another variable that will affect its interaction with heat. As an example, lightweight concrete, that is concrete that is mixed with a more porous aggregate such as pumice or slag in place of rock, does not conduct heat as efficiently. The addition of reinforcing materials such as wire mesh and rebar can also affect how the concrete interacts with heat.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

So apparently there's an NFL team going to LA.... In the outside outside outside chance that it's the bucs....what would happen to the stadium??? Would they just demolish it or could usf somehow pay to use it or I dunno buy it out slowly,,. Shot in the dark here, but does anyone know of protocol in such instances

Well the only time that something like this occurred was when LA lost the Rams and the Raiders and the Colosseum was then "given" to USC... and when the Miami Dolphins built Joe Robbie and "gave" the Hurricanes the Orange Bowl. In both instances the LA and Miami versions of the TSA either ceased to exist (LA) or moved with the NFL team to the new stadium (Miami) so ownership of the Stadium reverted back to the County (LA) and the City (Miami) who then gave it to the local University as long as the University agreed to keep up the hand me down stadium.

In the case of USC they kept up their end of the deal and the "U" did not and let the Orange Bowl rot.

IF the Buc's are sold and are moved out to La-La land then I'm sure that the TSA will be disbanded since their mandate will be dissolved without an NFL team to serve. Since Raymond James stadium was built by the Hillsborough County Commission then the ownership of the stadium will revert back to them and one would think that they would then see if USF would like it.

I doubt that the Buc's are the team moving and think that its most likely gonna be Jacksonville, Houston, or Arizona.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Raymond James would still not be an "on-campus stadium" in this circumstance. In reality, little to nothing would change in this hypothetical arrangement.

if somehow the Bucs were out of the picture, many things would change. Basically that won't happen but if it does, USF would become the primary tenant (or moreso than now) and have better negotiation leverage.

The ship would be removed or replaced with something more Bull-related. Signage and other items would slowly be converted to USF. We might even be able to dictate how the TSA staff handles our fans instead of treating us like some step child.

and now for MikeG's annual OCS rant.....

But as I've said before-- we're talking about something that impacts USF 6 or 7 days a year. It is my main case for holding off on the need for an on campus stadium and it's associated maintenance/debt service/land use costs.

We've got a nice facility we can rent for those handful of days we need a stadium-- it is saving us a ton of money and giving us a leg up some people scoff at without realizing how much less the program would be if we only had the soccer stadium as our starting point.

I think this general whining about wanting an OCS comes from folks who are tired of USF being perceived by outsider morons as small time or a commuter school. Sure-- I'd love it if we had one too. But we can't afford it. We are barely out of trailers and people are expecting a mansion. That's not how it works in the real world. If we had 100 years of history and lived in the middle of nowhere-- we would have an OCS because we had no other option. We would have had the time to build it from humble beginnings into a monster size like they did at Florida.

It's all about having a proper perspective.

Sure game-day is only one day, but the lead up to game day would impact the USF area and main campus 6-7 weeks out of the year... that is nearly two months of good financial revenue upticks depending of course on who we play, and how rabid our fans are.

If you build a stadium on campus then you can bet that the area around campus will begin to transform into a more traditional college town with bars, restaurants, nice shops, and hotels vs. slums, used car lots, thrift stores, and ghettos.

My main reason for wanting an OCS is for financial revitalization of the overly depressed USF area.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

I think LA will always be the 'threat'. USC & UCLA seem to satisfy the area's football appetite, but 'Movin' to LA' can always be trotted out in the event an owner, in these dire economic times, thinks that the threat will loosen the local purse strings for some taxpayer funded deposits. Although it may be the #2 media market, the NFL revenue streams have changed since the days of pining for packed stadiums. And lets face it, with those 96" Hi-Def tee-vees tacked to wall, and from the air-conditioned comfort of that overstuffed recliner, teams/stadiums are working hard on 'the experience' that can compete with that. I don't think anyone's going to El A anytime soon.

And if, if the Bucs were to move to El A...you'd be hard pressed to argue in favor of an OCS anytime down the road. RayJ would be the bulls home for decades to come. It's one thing to build a stadium when you're the only game in town, quite different when you have an NFL caliber stadium down the street.