• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF Prof accuses students of "Religious Arrogance And Bigotry" in letter posted on reddit

Gismo

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

Calling students bigots is not teaching. He may not have used names, but he specified which students he was referring to from the class. Regardless of what was said, I think the professor handled this horribly.

Go read his 2nd paragraph about what his class is about. The student(s) showing their ass about their religion was like taking a field trip and a great teaching tool in that regard ... Again, you do this in someone's class, The male student who stood up in class and directed the rest of the class to “not participate†by not responding to my challenge, and you've brought on any consequences yourself.

That's what the professor said the student did in his email, but did the professor say anything prior to this that caused that student to react in this manner. The only information we have is based on what the professor said in his email. For all we know, the professor could have been a smazza, saying all Catholics are pedophiles and the student had enough of it and spoke out.

I still stand by what I said, regardless of what the students said or did, the professor should not have sent a mass email to the class singling out those students further. If he had a problem with what they did or said, he should have talked to them privately and done a better job of controlling the conversation.

True, all we have to go on is one side of it ... and that side doesn't paint the student in a very favorable light. ;)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

This would have been an exciting class period to have sat in on.

This would have been an exciting class period to have sat in on.

I would have loved to have been in there ...

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  2

the TRUTH of the matter and we all know this but sometimes refuse to acknowledge it within ourselves is that atheism is born out of a resentment or bitterness toward events in our lives, just as theism is born out of a personal manifestation of a Greater love and grace that doesnt fit in our scope of life and therefore can only be attributed to a greater source.

Edited by Bullsfan11

the Your TRUTH of the matter and we all know this but sometimes refuse to acknowledge it within ourselves is that atheism is born out of a resentment or bitterness toward events in our lives, just as theism is born out of a personal manifestation of a Greater love and grace that doesnt fit in our scope of life and therefore can only be attributed to a greater source.

Edited that for accuracy ...

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

the TRUTH of the matter and we all know this but sometimes refuse to acknowledge it within ourselves is that atheism is born out of a resentment or bitterness toward events in our lives, just as theism is born out of a personal manifestation of a Greater love and grace that doesnt fit in our scope of life and therefore can only be attributed to a greater source.

What a crock.

Theism was born out of pre-conscious alpha chimp behavior manifesting itself as "do as I say or go to hell for eternity" while we were transitioning from instinctual behaviour to consciously directed behaviour over the last 200,000 years. It was a successful meme and became self-propagating since it was so useful in organizing the tribes to follow the desires of the leaders

Atheism is a conscious decision of a self-directed intelligence to evaluate the claims of theists and the consequences of the unconscious memes and reject them. Not out of resentment or bitterness, if anything it would be more of a counter argument to the resentment and bitterness of the theists as they remain stuck in their antiquated, fear-driven behaviour.

This I know, since the teapot "told me so".

That said, I would have LOVED to have been in that classroom. As a Business/ Econ prof I usually don't feel the freedom to go THAT far off-topic in intellectual discourse.

Yes, this should have been in the MC. Oh well, late is better than never :D