• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hotz talks about OCS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

SWCTTULPCTHHDTT.20080816204214.jpg

If RJS looked like this for EVERY game, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Unfortunately this happens only once a year, and only when we play a high quality opponent.

If only every game was like Kansas in 08(still my fav game), Cincy in 09, Miami last year, and WVU last year.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  0

My mom recently did a helicopter tour in Ft. Lauderdale, here is the pic she took in Boca:

WBvHl.jpg

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

FAU is another erector set stadium.

Yes it's Steel on 3 sides... but the home side has elevated concrete concourses and a nice club area... they also feature individual seating on both sidelines and bleachers in the endzones. There are full club areas as well as suites... it's way more than an erector set.

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

SWCTTULPCTHHDTT.20080816204214.jpg

If RJS looked like this for EVERY game, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Unfortunately this happens only once a year, and only when we play a high quality opponent.

If only every game was like Kansas in 08(still my fav game), Cincy in 09, Miami last year, and WVU last year.

Agreed. RJS is too big for us.

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

Seems like it has its own runway as well.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

It borders the airport.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  0

It borders the airport.

USF, FAU, and FIU are all located on former military bases/airstrip. You can still see the former runways on all 3 campuses (USF's is south of Fowler near brewery)

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

OMG, the OCS discussion again. We cannot go 3 months without it. It is like a crack fix for some..... lol

I will summarize my conversation in the past 9 months with someone in athletics. USF still owes a lot for the most recent projects. Also current projects taking us further in debt. If they were going to do an OCS, they would not want one like the one in Orlando (not my words, from the individual I spoke with). Said our fans would not tolerate a stadium which lacked amenities. They talked with some of the big donors, and that is the concensus, as well as many of the others. The estimate a couple years ago was well over $150M to build a 50k stadium (which could be expanded later) which would be their target size. I suspect that number is a bit higher now. Minnesota is the stadium they mentioned as a model. 50k people, cost $300M to build and opened in 2009.

BTW for comparison here is a High school stadium which cost $60M. http://www.foxsports...559&feedID=3742 Colorado is about to spend over $250M to build a new stadium. UCF's was build over 6 years ago for 45k fans at a price of about $65M. Univ of North Texas has a 30k facility which opened in 2011 for a cost of $80M. UNLV is proposing one at as much as $450M.

I say we build our program first. Put a winning product on the field. Hopefully jump from the BE, then we can have grandiose plans. But for now, lets wait and fix the on field product and get more butts in seats. If you think more people (other than non-paying students) are going to go to a "sub par" stadium because it is on campus, you are mistaken.

Edited by IncrediBULL

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

An OCS won't increase attendance, need commitment from fans first.

Build an OCS for 55k ? Probably.

The good thing is we'll be making money on concessions. Probably won't be parking ... Which we'll hear some complain about and want RayJay ...

No way possible to build a stadium OCS for us for $55M. Won't happen.