• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New Article From Greg on Off-Season BBall Workouts

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/hoops-notes-collins-limited-abdul-aleem-strong

Caught up with USF men's basketball coach Stan Heath on the phone, and there's a bunch of notes as the team now has all of its newcomers enrolled for Summer B classes.

-- Point guard Anthony Collins won't be participating in full-contact work for the next four weeks or so due to an injury to his right hand. He has what Heath called a "stress reaction" -- basically a minor stress fracture. "It won't impact him at all," Heath said. "He'll be cleared and ready to go by August. In terms of him getting up maybe 500-1,000 shots a day, he's not getting that with his right hand, but he's shooting with his left hand, so his left hand is getting pretty good."

-- Sophomore guard Musa Abdul-Aleem, who will make a strong case to be a starter, is already the strongest player on the team, and strongest since Heath has been at USF. He can bench-press 340 pounds, which Heath said is his best total at USF -- Jarrid Famous got up to 330, he said "He can shoot the ball from range, he handles it well, he can create off the dribble and he has a strong body," Heath said. "He's well-developed. He's physically fit. My opinion of him has not changed, but we have a lot of options."

-- Also impressing early on is freshman JaVontae Hawkins of Michigan, who will compete for minutes as well: "The guy that has surprised me a little bit is JaVontae Hawkins. As a freshman, I kind of thought he'd take a little bit of time. He's going to be a little more ready than I thought. .. Everybody has come in and is working hard."

-- USF's depth at the 2-3 spots (shooting guard/small forward) is good enough the six players there will spill over to other positions for minutes. Victor Rudd will get some work at power forward, while Martino Brock and Abdul-Aleem will be Collins' backups at point guard.

-- Redshirt freshman center Jordan Omogbehin has been medically cleared to work out, but he isn't doing contact yet, working on running and additional rehab work.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Overall, pretty good news.

Also, he tweeted to me that he hasn't heard from Augustus yet about his post-college career. I know most of you were glad he left and didn't/don't expect him to do much in the NBA, but I know he had multiple pre-draft workouts with various NBA teams even considering his senior season.

Not sure how the UDFA process goes with the NBA compared to the NFL, but would love for him to make it to a summer league.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

July 2nd and we're still talking USF basketball. The Mayans were right.

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Heath is really building something here. Couple more years of good recruiting, and who knows what this program can do.

• Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  3,616

I'm really excited/nervous to see what Jordan does

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Jordan isn't going to be pushed around out there. He should be a force defensively.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Days Won:  0

Honestly, if Jordan can go out there, alter some shots, grab a handful of rebounds, and use his fouls wisely, all while just not screwing **** up on the offensive end...I'll be happy.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

USF basketball, Can U Feel it?

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  924

I am stoked about the new season, the team looks good, the facilities look good! go Bulls