• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Chris Perry C/PF Bartow High

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Russ â€@RussHoops

‪#USFBullsEye‬ Chris Perry, 6-foot 8 class of 2013, of Bartow HS & @E1T1Elite will visit USF today.

Here's an article courtesy of Memphis recruiting about Perry.

This summer is Bartow High (Fla.) forward Chris Perry's first and last playing AAU basketball, so it's a good thing for him that the University of Memphis coaching staff loved him at first sight.

Perry's first high-major Division I scholarship offer came in April, his first time participating in the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League sessions, from coach Josh Pastner and the Tigers.

"I was in awe," Perry, a 6-8, 235-pounder, said this week. "I was like, 'THE Memphis?' I didn't know what to think."

For Perry, who plays with the Amare Stoudamire-sponsored Each 1 Teach 1 program, it was confirmation that AAU basketball can make a world of difference. In summers past, he had only played in local summer tournaments with his high school team, which yielded little to no exposure to college coaches.

Bartow coach Terrence McGriff said he didn't feel that Perry was physically ready for the rigors of AAU basketball — constant traveling for tournaments and matching up against the nation's top talent — until this summer.

"We didn't wanna throw him out there and him not be ready to play at a high level," McGriff said. "He didn't pick up basketball until late. We didn't feel that he was necessarily ready for that yet."

Since he's been with E1T1, Perry, who is nowhere to be found on the nation's most-known recruiting services, has picked up offers from Memphis, South Florida, and Cincinnati. His soft touch around the rim and polished footwork, E1T1 coach Boobie Francis said, has impressed college coaches.

Francis said the coaching staffs from Florida, Baylor and Miami have shown interest in Perry and plan to evaluate him more extensively in the July period.

"In the (Nike) Peach Jam, everybody's gonna see the kid excel because his upside is so great," Francis said. "He just started playing. He's raw to the AAU circuit, but the kid is just a worker."

With social media and the heavy scrutiny on college basketball recruiting, it's nearly impossible for a prospect as skilled as Perry to go unnoticed. That the Memphis coaches — assistant Damon Stoudamire, specifically — were the first to spot Perry as a highly talented prospect, McGriff said, shows their basketball savvy.

"Damon is just a terrific guy, and a good evaluator of talent," McGriff said. "He saw Chris first. Five other schools, they saw late. He saw first. He's got a good eye for talent. Damon saw that first. That means to me he's a good evaluator of talent."

Because Perry stands so much to gain from a good showing at the Peach Jam, an event overflowing with coaches from across the country, he's decided to hold off on making a college choice for the time being. But he said Memphis' early interest will weigh heavily into his decision.

"(Pastner) wants me right now to commit and be a Tiger," Perry said. "My high school coach told me to just take it slow though, because there's a lot to come in July and August. I told (Pastner) I'm gonna think about him and not commit just yet, but he's made it very clear that he wants me."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/jun/28/university-of-memphis-high-on-aau-basketball/

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Played against Bartow a few times in the summer prior to my senior season and I cannot quite remember their entire team. I assume he was on varsity. I'll have to get a picture to job my memory, but the did have a few bigs all standing about 6'4 6'5, I'm assuming he was that tall at that time.

All were athletic and really good rebounders with little perimeter game at all.

Edited by theman123

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Also, Vega, any SF's or SG's we're looking at for 2013? Seems like we're stacking up on 1's 4's an 5's.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Musa chose USF over Memphis. Hopefully, he will mention that to him.

Tennessee is now recruiting 2013 6-foot 8 forward Chris Perry of Bartow, Florida. Chris recently visited USF

https://twitter.com/RussHoops/status/219484056121905153

• 4 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

BB recruitniks, what do you think of Chris? sounds like a lot of upside.

Joey Natale â€@Coast2CoastHoop

Cincinnati & USF are working hardest for '13 E1T1 Elite (FL) big man Chris Perry. Both schools have offered. Memphis, Miami & more involved.

Florida big man and Tigers target Chris Perry impressive in his first Peach Jam

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. — As Florida-based Each 1 Teach 1 coach Edward Francis looked over a Nike Peach Jam stat sheet Saturday, his mouth dropped when he found what he was looking for.

"You shot (77 percent) for the tournament. That's crazy. That's crazy!" said Francis, who was praising E1T1 big man Chris Perry, a senior forward from Bartow (Fla.) High playing AAU ball for the first time this summer.

Perry wasn't supposed to be this good. When The Commercial Appeal profiled him in June, he was nowhere to be found on the major recruiting services, yet the University of Memphis had offered the 6-8, 245-pounder.

The Tigers were Perry's first major offer, but, after this week's performance, they won't be his last.

Though Perry's E1T1 team was eliminated from Peach Jam title contention in Saturday evening's quarterfinals, he ranked second in the tournament in field-goal percentage (26-of-34) through six games and was tied for second in rebounding, averaging 11.5 points and 9.3 rebounds.

They were numbers even Perry hadn't envisioned when he began playing for E1T1 in April.

Before this summer, he had only played in local summer tournaments with his high school team.

Perry, who wears size 17 shoes, seemed almost embarrassed about his ascension when asked about it Saturday. Scout.com now ranks him a three-star prospect.

"Seriously, if I wouldn't have been on this team, I wouldn't even have been thinking about going to college," said Perry, who, besides Memphis, now has offers from Cincinnati and South Florida and interest from a host of other schools.

"I didn't expect it to go this well. This is my first year playing AAU, period.

"They told me right before I started, (the Peach Jam) is like a miniature NBA."

There are still areas in which Perry has to improve.

Since he hadn't played against elite competition until this summer, Perry is still adjusting to the speed and athleticism of high-level prospects.

But his natural skills are unquestionable, and given the right circumstances, he could develop into a productive force on the block and/or the high post.

"Once his confidence gets to where he just says, 'I'm one of those players,' then he's going to be off the charts," Francis said.

"He brings a lot to the table. I can use him outside because he's got a nice 12- to 15-foot jump shot and he's a good passer. He has good hands.

"But never did I expect this."

For now, Perry says he's "soaking it all in" when it comes to his recruitment. After all, until this summer, he hadn't been on the national radar, so his newfound popularity has been a bit overwhelming.

"There was a point where I wasn't even starting. I was the last person off the bench," said Perry, who didn't start for E1T1 until May.

"I love that my teammates have confidence in me. Now, I've just got to have confidence in myself."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/jul/22/florida-big-man-and-tigers-target-chris-perry-in/

Edited by Bullwinkle

BB recruitniks, what do you think of Chris? sounds like a lot of upside.

I was going to talk about him and before I do, I will say that I'm happy seeing an instate kid do well on the national scene.

Now I like Chris Perry IF he's coming to USF along with Demetrius Henry not so much if we get him because USF loses out on Demetrius..

I said before USF needed to land 2 of the 3 Team Breakdown forwards, Henry, Malik Price-Martin, and Antravious Simmons. Martin reclassified to 2014 leaving Simmons and Henry. I haven't seen Simmons mentioning USF in a quite a while. Frankly I will be pleased to have Perry over him. However Demetrius Henry is a must get and by far the most skilled forward in the state for 2013 not named Chris Walker.

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Did I actually start this thread? :wtf: Trip must have been up to his editing hijinks again. I guess the moderator button got stuck in the on position.

Edited by Bullwinkle

Watch Elite PG Joel Berry and PF Chris Perry live on ESPNU

DaveTelep Dave Telep

Plenty of star power but how about emerging bigs Damian Jones (TX Titans) vs Chris Perry (E1T1) on ESPNU 7pm Thursday. #bigstage

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,671
  • Days Won:  424

Did I actually start this thread? :wtf: Trip must have been up to his editing hijinks again. I guess the moderator button got stuck in the on position.

No, but you should have .... ;)

I split it out from the thread on Egbunu and Davis so it could have its' own.