• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Here's McMurphy. Re: Big East Media deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

It wouldn't shock me either if we got no more than 10-12 million. We don't have the star power or appeal that the ACC does in regards to FSU, Clemson etc. as a name brand. Regardless even if we get that much it will be a plus for USF in that we will get more money.

The jump in money will be tremendous.

I don't think the jump in money will be as advantageous as some people seem to think - sure, we will be making more money, but everyone else 'above' us will be making proportionally more than we do; the ACC is about to get a modest raise, the BIG XII is getting a raise and the B10 and the PAC make way more than we do.

Let's not forget about the revenue the 'power conferences' will be raking in due to their new bowl arrangements money that correct me if I'm wrong, we won't get a sniff of.

I suppose the extra money will be nice to help us finish our facilities, but I don't see how the increase in our revenue, no matter how great it is will help us keep up with the Joneses as they are speeding away from the ACC on down. We are not going to be hiring 'better' coaches or assistants than we were before - the other conferences will have more to spend (in their case, MUCH more) just as we will.

Everything will be the way it is now and in some ways much worse for the NBE - just everything will be 'inflated' more than it is now, IMO.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

It wouldn't shock me either if we got no more than 10-12 million. We don't have the star power or appeal that the ACC does in regards to FSU, Clemson etc. as a name brand. Regardless even if we get that much it will be a plus for USF in that we will get more money.

I don't think the jump in money will be as advantageous as some people seem to think - sure, we will be making more money, but everyone else 'above' us will be making proportionally more than we do; the ACC is about to get a modest raise, the BIG XII is getting a raise and the B10 and the PAC make way more than we do.

Let's not forget about the revenue the 'power conferences' will be raking in due to their new bowl arrangements money that correct me if I'm wrong, we won't get a sniff of.

I suppose the extra money will be nice to help us finish our facilities, but I don't see how the increase in our revenue, no matter how great it is will help us keep up with the Joneses as they are speeding away from the ACC on down. We are not going to be hiring 'better' coaches or assistants than we were before - the other conferences will have more to spend (in their case, MUCH more) just as we will.

Everything will be the way it is now and in some ways much worse for the NBE - just everything will be 'inflated' more than it is now, IMO.

Can't really count the bowls. Unless the school sells out their ticket allotments and then some, schools usually lose money on bowls.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

So the gap continues to widen and grow...

I'm not holding my breath - I think we will be LUCKY if we make more than 10 mil. per school. We won't make anything close to what the ACC will.

I still think we should take our ball and go home.

We'll get 10-12 which is what I've been saying since the raid.

This is true. Kudos to you if it ends up that way and a mea culpa from me. I think we might end up with a bit more than $12M at this point, but I do think you're right in the range. I was wrong on the bid inflation, though if we do end up with some prime time NBC programming I think that can be a big win for building the conference brand and recruiting. A conference that can tell recruits they'll be in primetime on broadcast TV, even in this day and age, is an advantage. I think that would possibly make us more viable long term than the ACC because I don't think they'll get too much primetime ABC space. I think other ESPN properties will be more likely to get on the network with FSU and Clemson being exceptions, but also possibly being gone.

As for the ACC money, I don't know how much the ACC will get in the end if FSU and Clemson bolt. It appears from reports that ESPN and other entities allow for renegotiation when teams shift, but that goes both ways. It means they could reduce payouts if strong assets are lost to a conference. I doubt the ACC is anywhere near as appealing without FSU and Clemson. In fact, I think we'd be the stronger conference competitively and on TV overall with those two out.

The money is important to build programs, but a national presence on TV helps too. The conference needs to build itself to compete against the others and grow the brand. If the BE makes itself more appealing, it may attract other schools down the line, and, in doing so, be able to get more money out of the TV contract just as the ACC has and others will.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

Can't really count the bowls. Unless the school sells out their ticket allotments and then some, schools usually lose money on bowls.

Thanks for the correction, Charsibb.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

So the gap continues to widen and grow...

I'm not holding my breath - I think we will be LUCKY if we make more than 10 mil. per school. We won't make anything close to what the ACC will.

I still think we should take our ball and go home.

We'll get 10-12 which is what I've been saying since the raid.

This is true. Kudos to you if it ends up that way and a mea culpa from me. I think we might end up with a bit more than $12M at this point, but I do think you're right in the range. I was wrong on the bid inflation, though if we do end up with some prime time NBC programming I think that can be a big win for building the conference brand and recruiting. A conference that can tell recruits they'll be in primetime on broadcast TV, even in this day and age, is an advantage. I think that would possibly make us more viable long term than the ACC because I don't think they'll get too much primetime ABC space. I think other ESPN properties will be more likely to get on the network with FSU and Clemson being exceptions, but also possibly being gone.

As for the ACC money, I don't know how much the ACC will get in the end if FSU and Clemson bolt. It appears from reports that ESPN and other entities allow for renegotiation when teams shift, but that goes both ways. It means they could reduce payouts if strong assets are lost to a conference. I doubt the ACC is anywhere near as appealing without FSU and Clemson. In fact, I think we'd be the stronger conference competitively and on TV overall with those two out.

The money is important to build programs, but a national presence on TV helps too. The conference needs to build itself to compete against the others and grow the brand. If the BE makes itself more appealing, it may attract other schools down the line, and, in doing so, be able to get more money out of the TV contract just as the ACC has and others will.

Wonder what Chuck Neinas is doing when he comes back off vacation?

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Chuck Norris does not go on vacation. Chuck allows vacations to have him.

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867

My idea of a good time:

i. Play just the tip with ESPN

ii. Reach around from Fox

iii. Ballz deep with NBC

now that's funny...

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

For what it is worth I am in charge of a 500k marketing program where about 70% is for TV buys. We budget on an overall cost per point(CPP) which is for our target market of males 25-55 years old. When we do our buys I can tell you for a fact that the CPP is much,much higher for live sporting events be they football,BB, Nascar or baseball. That being said, NBC would be a huge upgrade for the BE and I know this because I have paid to be on NBC and it costs an arm and a leg. ESPN not so much. You put the BE on NBC primetime or across the board on a Sat. for football and you have just gotten the golden goose. I would say(IMHO) that I would take a deal from them before ESPN even if it was a smaller amount(not much smaller but close) for the exposure and ratings we would get. BB I don't really know due to the quantity of games which seems more like an ESPN deal.

Edited by dabull80
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I still think that ND is in play for the BE, we let them keep all revenue from home games, split all other revenue. NOTHING is out of the real of possibility. I don't know squat about how TV deals work, but I do know how to negotiate with people. Time will tell.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

My idea of a good time:

i. Play just the tip with ESPN

ii. Reach around from Fox

iii. Ballz deep with NBC

wedding-crashers.jpg