• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Here's McMurphy. Re: Big East Media deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Could the future Big East television deal be a marriage between NBC and ESPN?

The ideal scenario, according Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson, would be for the league to be showcased on the national NBC network while still maintaining a presence on ESPN. Johnson said he saw a lot of "enthusiasm" from the NBC, Fox and ESPN representatives who attended the meetings.

He was asked if the Big East would receive 'ACC money:'

"I don't think we'll get that close, but I do think there will be a marriage between NBC and ESPN," Johnson said. "NBC came in. The ESPN people did not make a proposal, but they were there and they reiterated how much they wanted to maintain the Big East. NBC actually made a proposal and they had a magnificent presentation put together. Obviously they have a pretty good audio/visual department at NBC."

Current rights-holder ESPN and the Big East will enter an exclusive 60-day negotiating window beginning Sept. 1. Outside parties, such as NBC, can't issue any sort of monetary offer or proposal until November at the earliest, but they can illustrate how they would plan to showcase the league.

"(NBC's) purpose (at the meeting) was to show they had an interest in the Big East and they had it tied in with Notre Dame football," Johnson said. "They talked about doubleheaders and tripleheaders on the NBC station. Not on the Versus or whatever they all have, NBC (Sports Network), because they've got several cable outlets.

"They talked about how they liked the time zones and they talked about tying in doubleheaders and tripleheaders on Saturday with football."

Johnson said they'd love to find a way for coverage to continue on ESPN even if the bulk of their content moves to NBC.

"I think in the ideal world and financially as well, if we could get a combination of ESPN and NBC, it would just be magnificent," Johnson said. "ESPN is talking about continuing 'Thursday Night Football' which is a big draw and continuing 'Big Monday' in basketball which is huge."

TV contract money has become a bragging point - or a point of contention - to college athletics power brokers and fans. Recently, there was an outcry from Florida State faithful when it was announced the new ACC TV deal would only yield an annual average of $17 million per school over the 15-year length of the contract, which is millions less than Big 12, Big Ten, SEC and PAC-12 school are slated to receive in their respective contracts.

A month ago, Johnson said people in the Big East were "hopeful" of a per-school payout in the "teens" of millions for all-sports members. Now he's shooting for at least $10 million.

"I'm hopeful of double digits to be honest with you," Johnson said. "I think that would be a great way to move on."

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

So the gap continues to widen and grow...

I'm not holding my breath - I think we will be LUCKY if we make more than 10 mil. per school. We won't make anything close to what the ACC will.

I still think we should take our ball and go home.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I'm not holding my breath - I think we will be LUCKY if we make more than 10 mil. per school. We won't make anything close to what the ACC will.

We'll get 10-12 which is what I've been saying since the raid.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Well that's rank speculation at it's finest, Unless, of course, you have an "unamed industry source" to support it. BAhHAHA. :lmao:

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

It wouldn't shock me either if we got no more than 10-12 million. We don't have the star power or appeal that the ACC does in regards to FSU, Clemson etc. as a name brand. Regardless even if we get that much it will be a plus for USF in that we will get more money.

Well that's rank speculation at it's finest, Unless, of course, you have an "unamed industry source" to support it. BAhHAHA. :lmao:

I never passed it as the truth...

It wouldn't shock me either if we got no more than 10-12 million. We don't have the star power or appeal that the ACC does in regards to FSU, Clemson etc. as a name brand. Regardless even if we get that much it will be a plus for USF in that we will get more money.

The jump in money will be tremendous.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

I wonder how aggressive ESPN will be with their first bid. Obviously it would be very beneficial for the BE to test the open market but at what point do we give in before testing that market. ESPN might come in with a take it or leave it bid. I don't see ESPN getting involved in an auction type bidding war.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

My idea of a good time:

i. Play just the tip with ESPN

ii. Reach around from Fox

iii. Ballz deep with NBC

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

I can't see ESPN making a high bid but who knows, maybe they will pay a little extra to keep NBC out of the picture