• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hofstra has quite the pitcher

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Reminds me of the Russian weightlifters of the 70's.

hofstra-softball_0.png

Looks like she is trying to say "I LIKE BISCUITS!!!"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

USF%20Sara%20Nevins.jpg

cute

and very determined

bulls should handle hofstra

• Content Count:  6
  • Days Won:  0

smazza -

what planet are you on????

That young lady from USF is a very talented pitcher and should be applauded for her athletic ability

• Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Nice having you back, 3r20!

• Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

If you all want to talk some softball, that's great, but let's not attack a kid on her looks based on an action shot when she's contorting her face on her release and exerting herself. Enough said on that topic, I hope.

Now, back to softball. There's no question that Nevins has compiled her numbers against a tougher schedule this year, since the competition is weaker in Hofstra's neck of the woods (and their conference), and they play all their tough games in the first month. But I will say this - in her career, Galati has faced Arizona at Arizona and UCLA at UCLA in the NCAA Tournament, probably the two most intimidating venues (and offensive line-ups) in the country, and shut them both down (her line score against Arizona as a freshman is deceiving - it was 7 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 6 K's before the 12th inning blew up on her). No question USF is the favorite - especially since they can match her in the circle - but she's the real deal. If you do beat her, it's because your kids came up big against one of the best pitchers in the country, not because she's out of her element.

Just admit it - You are afraid she would kick your butt if you said something negative or worse yet fire one of those fastballs right in your strike zone. :)

Now, THAT's funny!

• Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

TAMPA --

It's all there for the No. 19-ranked University of South Florida softball team.

USF (48-11) has the NCAA Super Regionals at its on-campus stadium for the first time and can make the program's first trip to the Women's College World Series by winning the best-of-3 series against the unranked Hofstra Pride (41-13).

The Bulls have advantages. But it won't be easy.

Friday night, Hofstra is expected to start junior right-hander Olivia Galati (33-5), who leads the nation in ERA (0.91) and shutouts (17). Galati has won 31 straight starts – two off an NCAA record established in 1982 – and hasn't lost since March 4. She has 363 strikeouts and just 24 walks.

"That gets your attention,'' USF coach Ken Eriksen said.

So does this: Galati said her historic streak doesn't compare to team success.

"I guess it's pretty cool, but it's just a number,'' Galati said. "We just care about winning. If the other team scores eight and we score nine, we still win. That's good enough for me. I don't think about that (31-game winning streak) because it distracts. I don't want it to be a problem or issue during a game.''

Hofstra coach Bill Edwards, a long-time friend of Eriksen, said Galati has the perfect approach for the Pride's old-school program.

"Obviously, Olivia is the engine and she's the one who's moving this whole train,'' Edwards said. "But she knows she has a team behind her that last year led the nation in defense. She's not afraid to throw a pitch she knows is going to be hit – as long as it's in the park – because she knows her team gives maximum defensive effort. At the same time, she thrives on making the big pitch to the big hitter at the big moment.''

Oklahoma City might be on the horizon, but the Bulls can't see that far, not yet at least. Not with Galati standing in their path. The opportunity is great. So, too, is the competition.

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/usf-bulls/2012/may/23/3/usf-softball-two-wins-away-from-college-world-seri-ar-407090/

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

Hopefully Mouse will roar!

• Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

RTB -

Who would have thought that Women's softball would mark the return of the favorite son, 3r20!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has been 12 long years and I have returned from exile. Even from the outpost of the NFL (No Football Land). I have kept my eye on the young upstart Bulls and admire your success from afar. I still rank my trip down to Bull Land as one of my favoirite road trips and still revel in the victory. Dreaming of Gio Carmazzi shredding the vaunted bull defense (or lack there-of) with his legs and arm bring smiles to a forlorn Hofstra fan. You realize that the HU football is still undefeated against the bulls and it looks like it might remain like that forever!!!!!!

This, however, is a softball thread. I will tell you that unlike the USF team our girls do not get to practice outdoors much in the winter. Our Florida early games are pre-season for us and we usually do not do well early on. After beating UCLA, I do not think we will be in awe of a Big East team and I look forward to a pitcher's dual.

It is tough to talk smack when you are talking Women's softball without getting to the lowest common denominator (see above OG pic comments) so I will try to stay above the fray for a few days.

I hope that not too many of you have had your house foreclosed on, but if need be I do have a consortium of investors who are looking to purchase distressed realty in the Tampa area.

The King has returned

3r20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super! Missed you and thought of you often worried that the time on the bucket brigade might have affected your health. Sorry about the football team. Not fair. Softball was a great series but even better to hear from a respected rival.

Archived