• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CJL getting around

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  406
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry about the stupid heading, but I was just curious about something and wanted to get everyones attention.  I heard an interveiw with Urban Meyer and he was saying that when he was at Bowling Green and Utah he would get out and talk with the students. That he would goand speak with the fraternities, sororities, organizations, etc. He said he likes to do it all the time and it gets them excited about the season, the spring game, and it helps attendance (not that that will make a difference at UF).  He also says that he is going to do it at UF as well.  I don't think CJL does this I have been involved around USF for four years and haven't seen it done.  I would like to. Does anyone know if he actually does this.  It would be great around campus.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

I really don't think Jim is into doing this kind of stuff.  I'm sure it would help to gain interest from students, but I don't see coach doing a whole lot of this.  You really have to be more of a Bullsh!tter and coach leavitt is more into giving his time to into practice and recruiting.  i'm sure Sheriff can give us some info on this also.  

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Sorry about the stupid heading

With that heading and the name "starspangledpimp" it was anybody's guess what this thread was going to be about...

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  406

funny

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,773
  • Days Won:  3

Hmmmm....it's pretty interesting that he was able to correlate his "walking and talking" with increased attendance. My guess would be that perhaps winning generates more turnstile activity than glad-handing by the head coach.  I can see where that may be an issue at Bowling Green & Utah, but - as you pointed out - it's pretty much a non issue at UF.

Guest burban meyer

Having a coach that is seen on campus and approachable is a great thing for any University, it was one of the many things that made spurrier so beloved at UF.  I think CJL making his rounds on campus would pump up this University especially during football season, one thing we are in need of is an an image.  The university is trying to give us one name, one brand identity, but it takes time and money.  They are beginning on campus, and taking it from there.  The biggest question when you ask people that haven't attended or are not closely related to USF is who are we?  Are we USF or South Florida.  Around Tampa we are USF, but if you watch any televised games we are South Florida.  Having more recognizable faces for this University would do nothing but help.  Don't give me that crap that he spends all his time recruting, etc.  because we all know that the assistant coached do a majority of recruiting and the head coach is the closer.  He is busy at game planning, studying, and practice, but he could take an hour out of each week to be on campus getting people excited about football and this university, in fact all coaches should it would make their lives easier as well.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Having a coach that is seen on campus and approachable is a great thing for any University, it was one of the many things that made spurrier so beloved at UF.  I think CJL making his rounds on campus would pump up this University especially during football season, one thing we are in need of is an an image.  The university is trying to give us one name, one brand identity, but it takes time and money.  They are beginning on campus, and taking it from there.  The biggest question when you ask people that haven't attended or are not closely related to USF is who are we?  Are we USF or South Florida.  Around Tampa we are USF, but if you watch any televised games we are South Florida.  Having more recognizable faces for this University would do nothing but help.  Don't give me that crap that he spends all his time recruting, etc.  because we all know that the assistant coached do a majority of recruiting and the head coach is the closer.  He is busy at game planning, studying, and practice, but he could take an hour out of each week to be on campus getting people excited about football and this university, in fact all coaches should it would make their lives easier as well.

All great points.  CJL should be doing all he can to get people out to these games.  Dorm visits, administrative office visits can only help.  Shoot go to the gym and intramural courts and get those athletic minded people to take notice of USF football.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  433

Yo Pimp,

Call Tanya West. She's his assistant. If you talk to her about it, she can schedule you in. I'm sure he never got calls from student organizations to make appearences.

974-7171 twest@admin.usf.edu

Holler at ya boy pimp!