• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

S BIEN

Guest Harvey Jones

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528
  • Days Won:  0

Bull94, that was one hell of an interesting link you posted on the coaches and their salaries. Particularly surprising that they would contribute som much of the research to our situation with Seth and CRM. It was VERY interesting to note that one of Coach Mac's bonuses is related to team GPA....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Beastie,

I wouldn't expect much more than that when rebuilding a program from the ground up.

Look at Providence. They were supposed to compete for the BE crown and they only have 1 win in conference. They should be disappointed. This was the year they were building towards.

I don't think CRM is looking for instant results but I know we would have more wins if our 2nd leading scorer from a year ago was playing.

Did you see the STL game? They looked like the walking dead. Half of them probably should have been in the infirmary. It happens. Get over it. It was an exception not the rule.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  827

It is not unrealistic to expect more than 4 conference wins in 2 seasons and better than 12 points in a HALF of D1 college basketball.  If that is good enough for you try raising your expectations.  

Dude are you kidding me? Last year doesn't count. CRM was left with crap!

This year the team has been very competitive and ejoyable to watch knowing the lack of depth and talent. Give him at least two more years to show what he can do with a team full of his own recruits!

Stop complaining and just support you team and school!!

Guest Turkey Shizzler

it's real simple. we are in the big east now. we should be able to recruit better in the big east than we did in conference usa. not micky d's all americans, but better. yet we are recruiting worse.

bb waldon, altron jackson, yusuf baker, jimmy baxter and a few others were either top 100 national recruits, or close to top 100 recruits. they were worth getting excited about.

i can't even find a recruiting service that has anything truly meaningful to say about chris howard and mchugh mattis. maybe mr. mccullum is unearthing hidden gems (like will mcdonald or terrence leather), but it is unlikely. very unlikely especially considering there are no hidden gems in this years class among mobley, waters, dennis, prekevicius and jones.

holmes and capko are flatliners too. mr. mccullum's recruiting, with the exception of mosley (god help him), has been a near disaster.

is it unreasonable to expect that we recruit better - not great, not all-americans, but better - now that we're in the big east? of course not. its essential that we do so, but instead we have regressed.

velcro, no one from syracuse or pitt area papers or web sites reported either school actually having any genuine interest in cann. no scholie offered, no visits requested.

you think cann would consider va tech and west va but turn down a visit to syracuse? get real. an assistant at each school probably said hello and introduced himself. that's it.

and regarding baxter, he didn't just stumble upon drowning people and try to help. he pulled over his car in the dark and pouring rain on an interstate and ran a quarter mile back to try to find a car he saw spin off the road, leaving behind his wife and newborn child. then he flagged down a trucker and got a crowbar or something and smashed open the windows and pulled the people out. no way 9 out of 10 people do that. try one out of 50, tops. those people are dead if not for baxter driving down the highway that night.

and he didn't just leave the team in midseason, there were very extenuating circumstances. he wanted to try to prepare for the olympic trials in the high jump. and mr. mccullum was gutting the team so they were not competitive. what would you choose at that point?

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Dude are you kidding me? Last year doesn't count. CRM was left with crap!

This year the team has been very competitive and ejoyable to watch knowing the lack of depth and talent. Give him at least two more years to show what he can do with a team full of his own recruits!

Stop complaining and just support you team and school!!

BHB,

unfortunately, Beastie and crew will never stop complaining... they have had it out for Mac from the moment he was announced.  The sheer lack of volume of their opinion speaks volumes as to what people really think of mac.  It is basically Beastie and a couple guests that have some type of personal vendetta against mac... then a couple that just aren't sure but are leaning towards their direction, then the rest that just want to sit back and enjoy our team improving, much to the dismay of the first group.

Turkey,

I doubt many if any of those names listed were considered a top 100 recruit in the country. Did you see where the bottom of the top 150 go? They go to places like Wake Forest, Alabama, and Gonzaga not USF. Besides top recruits don't always make for good team players. Just ask Billy D up in G-ville about that. Half of those guys chose USF because of the closeness to home.

What is wrong with CRM trying to build a "team"? It seems to work well in the NFL for the Pats. No real superstars just pieces of a puzzle that work well together. We never saw that with Seth's teams. CRM is a much better floor coach in my opinion. I am pretty excited about seeing CD progress. He looks like he could be real good with a little confidence. Teams are built with role players not superstars.

Jimmy B is a good guy. Never blamed him for leaving to concentrate on Track when he knew team would be rebuilding. Suprised he didn't do it before the season started.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

If Leavitt can recruit the top class in the Big East 2 years before we even start playing in the league, there's no reason why McCullum can't do the same thing.

Some people around here need to wake up - unless there is a serious influx of talent on Fowler avenue, it's going to be pretty grim.

Markey Mark,

You honestly believe that CRM should be able to recruit the top class in the BE??? Do you believe it is possible for any coach to do that at USF??? Put Calhoun or Boheim in this same situation and I would bet anything they wouldn't be able to recruit even a class in the top half of the BE. I want some of what you're smoking!!

We are lucky to be smack dab in the middle of the hotbed for college football recruiting. Location is everything as far as football is concerned. Let's see Leavitt recruit the same top class in Syracuse. It has nothing to do with his ability to recruit and everything to do with location. Florida is a football mecca.

The facilities alone give Leavitt a huge advantage over CRM!! All CJL has to say is come play for me in one of the nicest NFL stadiums in the country. CRM promises them that we will replace the bulbs in the scoreboards some time soon and not to worry about the 900 fans. They don't make much noise anyway.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Well I don't know that Houston is considered a power house school anymore(they used to be) but Tom Penders has won more conference games in his first year there then we will in two years of conference play.  Mac is a class act but lets be real and look at the future.  He has one - count em - one BE quality recruit coming in and he had a serious knee injury.  How do we possibly compete in the future(not now or next year) with this type of recruiting.  In the mean time I will make my two hour drive - one way - to watch the Bulls and cheer them on.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

Syracuse isn't exactly a hotbed of basketball, either. None of their players are from the Syracuse area, they come from a regional base.

Look - we are in the Big East now - USF should accept that challenge for what it represents in all sports, not just football. I don't see our current trajectory as real progress in becoming competitive. Leavitt is stepping up to the plate and doing the best he can for USF. Is McCullum doing the same?

Maybe this is the best we can do? Now I'm getting depressed.  :-/