• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WVU looks good in Orange Bowl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

win counts towards BE all-time BCS record as well as ACC's. New BE can still pass ACC as football conference if things play out well. ACC is a crippled football conference and playing in the shadow of SEC may always be.

The Big East has been ahead of the ACC since 2005. Been saying that for years. Really came to fruition last night.

Statistically in football the Big East is ahead. But the ACC is better because they are a stable, well-rounded conference.

If the ACC came knocking, we would jump ship in a heart beat.

I wouldn't disagree at all.

However, the Big East gets bashed to no end and I never see the same said about the ACC. The current Big East has proven it is the better league.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

win counts towards BE all-time BCS record as well as ACC's. New BE can still pass ACC as football conference if things play out well. ACC is a crippled football conference and playing in the shadow of SEC may always be.

The Big East has been ahead of the ACC since 2005. Been saying that for years. Really came to fruition last night.

Statistically in football the Big East is ahead. But the ACC is better because they are a stable, well-rounded conference.

However, the Big East gets bashed to no end and I never see the same said about the ACC. The current Big East has proven it is the better league.

There are only 8 of us saying we're better. The ACC has 12 schools saying otherwise and they have SEC allies in USC, Georgia, and Florida backing them up.

• Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

Geno and Tavon will be seniors and both are returning. Stedman will be a junior. Most of the OL will return except for LT Barclay but our LG comes back from injury.

Alot of this goes to the fact are Oline was healthy and rested. Throughout the season we only played ~8 lineman, and 3 starters played 95% of the downs, with the other 2 starters playing approximately 85%. At the USF game our RG/RT for the first half was the backups who where part of the 8 players. We were beat down throughout the season and this is due to the lack of depth we have due to Stewarts/Casteels recruiting.

Our defense got better throughout the year and for the bowl game we were missing probably our best DB in Terrance Garvin, a RSF from Bridgeport, WV started (good player but not an every down type of guy). Also our MLB is a true freshman who has played well and alot of potential but lacks size and experience. Again alot to do with Casteels (DC) lack of being a recruiter.

Our defense line play should improve next year, not because of talent level (because Irvin and J. Miller is both 3rd or 4th round NFL picks) but because we went after Juco's to fill in size at DLine because this year we had those guys playing out of their normal positions (playing 1 spot down) and being undersized by 30-40 pounds at those positions.

The question will remain will our DC be back next year and not go to Arizona, because as an X&O guy he is wonderful and given time especially a month to prepare he will have a solid defensive gameplan as seen in all 3 BCS wins.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

What is up with Geno Smith still in the game and still throwing touchdown passes in the 4th quarter? That school has no dignity.
They took Geno out in the early third. The back-up came in and tossed an INT. No reason to give Clemson a window back into the game, however unlikely. There was a still a lot of clock left. No reason to have your back-up turn the tides and cool down the hot hand. On top of that West Virginia and the Big East needed to make a statement. It's not WVU's fault Clemson couldn't stop them. I stole this, but, "There are 11 players in the Clemson defense, and they'll all be going pro in something other than sports."

They were up by 30 points. Clemson wasn't coming back. The backup QB could have handed the ball off 20 times and they win by a mile.

• Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

There are only 8 of us saying we're better. The ACC has 12 schools saying otherwise and they have SEC allies in USC, Georgia, and Florida backing them up.

the larger number of schools also helps them with ESPN pimping them out. they have more GAMES to choose from on a weekly basis. Being an 8 member confernce really hurts us. We need to continue our expansion to 12 and consider going for 16. 6-8 west teams and 10-8 eastern teams. On the field we kick the crap out of the ACC. Public perception we get slaughtered.

• Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

the larger number of schools also helps them with ESPN pimping them out. they have more GAMES to choose from on a weekly basis. Being an 8 member confernce really hurts us. We need to continue our expansion to 12 and consider going for 16. 6-8 west teams and 10-8 eastern teams. On the field we kick the crap out of the ACC. Public perception we get slaughtered.

100% agree with this. Think of a regular Saturday in the middle of the season. With the BE at 8 teams: 2 have already played (Thursday, Friday), 2 have a bye week, that leaves 4 teams playing each other (2 games) and they're probably both at noon. So we become kind of irrelevant. I think with the 12 team conferences, there is almost always a game to talk about at every time slot on Saturday.

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Sorry to have to agree....WVU looked very good against Clemson. I was hoping for a Clemson win, as most of us.

• Content Count:  260

We do need some credibility for the Big East. Glad we're getting some for once.
Whatever credibility they're building goes with them to the Big 12 ...
Not really. I mean it isn't like WVU rolled the Big East. There was a great deal of parody in our league. This means maybe the conference was stronger in general.. or so one may argue.
I think you meant parity. Or not.

lol - i was thinking the exact same thing. freudian slip?

• Content Count:  260

What is up with Geno Smith still in the game and still throwing touchdown passes in the 4th quarter? That school has no dignity.
They took Geno out in the early third. The back-up came in and tossed an INT. No reason to give Clemson a window back into the game, however unlikely. There was a still a lot of clock left. No reason to have your back-up turn the tides and cool down the hot hand. On top of that West Virginia and the Big East needed to make a statement. It's not WVU's fault Clemson couldn't stop them. I stole this, but, "There are 11 players in the Clemson defense, and they'll all be going pro in something other than sports."

They were up by 30 points. Clemson wasn't coming back. The backup QB could have handed the ball off 20 times and they win by a mile.

To quote the infamous Bobby Bowden, (not the exact quote) - It's not our job to stop our offense, it's the other team's job. (He said something to this effect to Lou Holtz when Bowden was still at WVU, after WVU had wupped up on Holtz's William and Mary team. Holtz was ******** at him after the game for "running up the score".)

Clemson still had starters in as well, why should WVU call off the dogs if the opponent is not yet conceding?

I understand the angst by some of you guys aimed at WVU, but it would have been worse for the BE if they had lost. The BE gets the credit for the win. And I liked Holgorsens comment after the game about the perception of the BE being weak - he mentioned WVU has won 3 BCS games in the last 6 years, and WVU was in the BE all of those 6 years. Enough said.

Archived