• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New Commit?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I can't wait. I've said it before, this is the most "out of the box" signing in Div 1 FB in a while. This guy will either be off the charts , crazy good, or a total bust. But then again, I guess that's why you have all those schollies. We seriously need a nickname contest. First off, he is an instant enrollee in the All Name, HOF. I mean, the guy has a Russian and Japanese Sumo name, just to start with. Secondly, both are decidedly unpronounceable to 99% of the Tampa Bay demographic. Thirdly I suspect, he has enough character traits, flaws or qualities to demand that we begin immediate contemplation on what he should be called. Let the games begin.

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

I can't wait. I've said it before, this is the most "out of the box" signing in Div 1 FB in a while. This guy will either be off the charts , crazy good, or a total bust. But then again, I guess that's why you have all those schollies. We seriously need a nickname contest. First off, he is an instant enrollee in the All Name, HOF. I mean, the guy has a Russian and Japanese Sumo name, just to start with. Secondly, both are decidedly unpronounceable to 99% of the Tampa Bay demographic. Thirdly I suspect, he has enough character traits, flaws or qualities to demand that immediate contemplation on what he should be called. Let the games begin.

Although his football-related skills may be relatively 'raw,' I look forward to his contributions, and feel optimisitc about his potential. The decision to include him is bold, characteristic of bulls who know what they want. USF does not back down from from any challenges. :iconic_u_black:

Edited by Florida Bull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Still no confirmation that he will be playing for USF.

Greg Auman is a facebook friend of his, so he should know his current status. Perhaps, GA can provide an update.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  1

He's enrolled, unless there's another Soslan Gagloev at USF lol.

The pic comes from the USF directory.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761

Family Name Given Name Affiliation College Campus Email Campus Phone Campus Mailstop Gagloev Soslan Undeclared Tampa

My picture didn't show up in my previous post.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

Would not he be better suited to play on the offensive line if indeed he is a tad slow ? A 330 lb OT monster opening the way for Lamar , Shaw etc WOW !

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

He's enrolled, unless there's another Soslan Gagloev at USF lol.

The pic comes from the USF directory.

Thanks, then he should at least be a walkon at USF this year.

GA has been updating the walkons the past few days, so I expect that he will have a story up on him shortly.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957

Let me put it this way. I evaluate NFL Draft prospects for various media outlets and newspapers, and I would sign this guy to an NFL contract to come to training camp pretty much based on the extremely limited information at our disposal, sight-unseen.

I think Bullwinkle has it right, he is either going to be totally awesome, or never see the field. I like that his goal is to get into the NFL.

People talking about him being slow and everything...I think you're missing the mark. He gets off the snap really, really well. Very explosive. That's what sumo wrestling is all about, explosiveness off the blocks. The initial clash (tachi-ai) in sumo wrestling is extremely, extremely important. Many believe you win or lose the match based on that alone. That's the key in all this, and that's I think why Soslan was drawn to playing defensive line for an American football team. He had to be thinking ****, I've already been training to do this for a decade. The other thing is his hand strikes. Not just hand placement, leverage, all that. I'm talking about actual hand strikes. Very important in sumo, and again usually a part of the tachi-ai.

The only thing that really concerns me is conditioning. Not speed. Speed doesn't even enter my mind as a flaw, especially seeing how he played on those Webber highlights. Highly, highly explosive player. But is he well conditioned? Sumo conditioning isn't anything like football conditioning. But then, as has been pointed out, he was a freestyle wrestler before he was a sumo wrestler, and I think he's done some more of that after his sumo career ended. I think wrestling conditioning is generally better than football conditioning, to be one hundred percent honest. So you kind of have the best of both worlds here with Soslav which is why I initially expressed confusion as to why the bigger programs aren't on to him. I would be all over him as a football recruiter. I'd be learning Russian just to impress him.

HIs sumo name was Wakanoho. Maybe he could have a nick name that goes along the lines of "Whack a ____". Either way I just find the whole thing pretty entertaining.

Edited by ckparrothead

Let me put it this way. I evaluate NFL Draft prospects for various media outlets and newspapers, and I would sign this guy to an NFL contract to come to training camp pretty much based on the extremely limited information at our disposal, sight-unseen.

I think Bullwinkle has it right, he is either going to be totally awesome, or never see the field. I like that his goal is to get into the NFL.

People talking about him being slow and everything...I think you're missing the mark. He gets off the snap really, really well. Very explosive. That's what sumo wrestling is all about, explosiveness off the blocks. The initial clash (tachi-ai) in sumo wrestling is extremely, extremely important. Many believe you win or lose the match based on that alone. That's the key in all this, and that's I think why Soslan was drawn to playing defensive line for an American football team. He had to be thinking ****, I've already been training to do this for a decade. The other thing is his hand strikes. Not just hand placement, leverage, all that. I'm talking about actual hand strikes. Very important in sumo, and again usually a part of the tachi-ai.

The only thing that really concerns me is conditioning. Not speed. Speed doesn't even enter my mind as a flaw, especially seeing how he played on those Webber highlights. Highly, highly explosive player. But is he well conditioned? Sumo conditioning isn't anything like football conditioning. But then, as has been pointed out, he was a freestyle wrestler before he was a sumo wrestler, and I think he's done some more of that after his sumo career ended. I think wrestling conditioning is generally better than football conditioning, to be one hundred percent honest. So you kind of have the best of both worlds here with Soslav which is why I initially expressed confusion as to why the bigger programs aren't on to him. I would be all over him as a football recruiter. I'd be learning Russian just to impress him.

HIs sumo name was Wakanoho. Maybe he could have a nick name that goes along the lines of "Whack a ____". Either way I just find the whole thing pretty entertaining.

Nice insight.

All the freshman are in from what I've read. Does anybody know when they will update the roster?