• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

March 22nd - Spring Football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

I thought the spring games were held at RayJay?

Early ones were at the soccer stadium, I believe. Maybe we're going back ......

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

Doesn't this pretty much run contra to earlier posts saying that USF wanted to use the Spring Game as an "event" (merge with entertainment, etc.) to garner more interest?

Remember, USF uses this as an opportunity to sell season tickets (walking the potential buyers around the stadium...letting folks pick out their seats).

Could it be that we're confusing the "Spring Game" with FAD?

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Spring Football At Soccer Stadium? Embarrassing

BRETT MCMURPHY

Published: Feb 24, 2005

TAMPA - South Florida officials are considering moving the April 16 spring football game from Raymond James Stadium to the school's soccer stadium.

USF athletic director Doug Woolard and associate AD Tom Veit said no decision has been reached, but they are looking into the possibility.

If it happens, there's one word that pretty much sums up holding USF's spring football game at the school's soccer stadium: embarrassing.

In only eight seasons, the football program has ascended from Division I-AA into the Big East Conference. The Bulls finally hit the big time, or so we thought.

By keeping the game at RJS, the Bulls' marketing department - if there really is one - could hold a ``select-a-seat'' promotion. Individuals could chose their seats and lock in for five- or 10-year season- ticket plans with the allure of future games against Miami, other BCS powers, Big East rivals and, who knows, maybe even Notre Dame gets added sometime down the line.

Sure, maybe only a few thousand fans will attend the spring game, making the soccer stadium a more quaint setting. Remember how quaint those trailers were? But if USF prefers quaint settings for its athletic teams, the men's basketball team would hold all its games in the Corral.

A big reason USF officials want to move the game to the soccer stadium is to hold a ``Spring Festival,'' on campus, including home games for USF's baseball and softball teams.

Instead why not just call it ``Spring Festivus.'' George Costanza will do the coin flip. The Sidler can shadow Coach Jim Leavitt along the sideline. The Soup Nazi works the concession stand and USF can give away thousands of green and gold puffy shirts. Then yada, yada, yada ... USF is the only one of 119 I-A schools playing its spring football game at its soccer stadium.

A regulation football field will barely squeeze inside the surrounding track inside the soccer stadium and - we're not making this up - USF also would have to sod over the pole vault pit.

Promoting a weekend for fans to catch a baseball or softball game and tour the new athletic facility afterward isn't a bad idea. However, instead of moving the spring game - what will recruits think of the soccer stadium? - why not tie it all in with one of USF's spring football scrimmages?

There are another 20,000 reasons why USF officials are considering the move - the $20,000 it costs to use Raymond James Stadium.

Woolard said the football game would be moved from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. to give fans a break from the heat. However, both the baseball and softball teams' games start at - you guessed it - 1 p.m. So unless USF recently added retractable roofs at the baseball and softball fields, those fans are out of luck.

Did we also mention Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese will make his first appearance at USF the weekend of April 16?

USF officials added that Miami and UCF are moving their spring games this year from their off-campus stadiums. However, Miami was forced to because the Orange Bowl is being renovated. UCF decided to move its game to its on- campus practice fields to help attract attention after last year's 0-11 season.

USF following in the footsteps of UCF? Serenity now! Serenity now!

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGB9R1WEK5E.html

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  618

wow, all i gotta say is chill out!! What's the big deal if we play on campus huh buddy?? Terrible article written by a guy who can't get over the cancellation of Seinfield and needs to find ways to put the quotes he memorized into use for all the years he wasted of his life, what a retard.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719

Maybe you should take it easy.  Retard?  If you have ever met Brett he is not a retard.  So he is emotional about the possible move.  I also think it it a bad move.  We should be showcasing where we play our games for the BE commissioner and spend the money.  

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  420

Spring Football At Soccer Stadium? Embarrassing

BRETT MCMURPHY

Published: Feb 24, 2005

TAMPA - South Florida officials are considering moving the April 16 spring football game from Raymond James Stadium to the school's soccer stadium.

USF athletic director Doug Woolard and associate AD Tom Veit said no decision has been reached, but they are looking into the possibility.

If it happens, there's one word that pretty much sums up holding USF's spring football game at the school's soccer stadium: embarrassing.

In only eight seasons, the football program has ascended from Division I-AA into the Big East Conference. The Bulls finally hit the big time, or so we thought.

By keeping the game at RJS, the Bulls' marketing department - if there really is one - could hold a ``select-a-seat'' promotion. Individuals could chose their seats and lock in for five- or 10-year season- ticket plans with the allure of future games against Miami, other BCS powers, Big East rivals and, who knows, maybe even Notre Dame gets added sometime down the line.

Sure, maybe only a few thousand fans will attend the spring game, making the soccer stadium a more quaint setting. Remember how quaint those trailers were? But if USF prefers quaint settings for its athletic teams, the men's basketball team would hold all its games in the Corral.

A big reason USF officials want to move the game to the soccer stadium is to hold a ``Spring Festival,'' on campus, including home games for USF's baseball and softball teams.

Instead why not just call it ``Spring Festivus.'' George Costanza will do the coin flip. The Sidler can shadow Coach Jim Leavitt along the sideline. The Soup Nazi works the concession stand and USF can give away thousands of green and gold puffy shirts. Then yada, yada, yada ... USF is the only one of 119 I-A schools playing its spring football game at its soccer stadium.

A regulation football field will barely squeeze inside the surrounding track inside the soccer stadium and - we're not making this up - USF also would have to sod over the pole vault pit.

Promoting a weekend for fans to catch a baseball or softball game and tour the new athletic facility afterward isn't a bad idea. However, instead of moving the spring game - what will recruits think of the soccer stadium? - why not tie it all in with one of USF's spring football scrimmages?

There are another 20,000 reasons why USF officials are considering the move - the $20,000 it costs to use Raymond James Stadium.

Woolard said the football game would be moved from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. to give fans a break from the heat. However, both the baseball and softball teams' games start at - you guessed it - 1 p.m. So unless USF recently added retractable roofs at the baseball and softball fields, those fans are out of luck.

Did we also mention Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese will make his first appearance at USF the weekend of April 16?

USF officials added that Miami and UCF are moving their spring games this year from their off-campus stadiums. However, Miami was forced to because the Orange Bowl is being renovated. UCF decided to move its game to its on- campus practice fields to help attract attention after last year's 0-11 season.

USF following in the footsteps of UCF? Serenity now! Serenity now!

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

20,000 reasons to charge people for attending the Spring game if it's in RJS. Am I the only one who doesn't think it's such a big deal to hold the game on campus? Take the 20 grand and put it to good use. To blow it on RJS "just because" strikes me as throwing money around...why not use it towards improving other aspects of USF athletics?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

I think it is a fine idea.  Look at the pictures displayed on SouthFloridaBulls.com of the Spring Game last year - hardly anyone was there.  It doesn't make sense to throw more money into the Glazers/TSA wallet for the chance to mock a practice game at RJS.  I'd rather see the funds go to building some following and community on campus.  It can be a great all day fan fest with little of the cumbersome and obstructionist rules we always have to deal with at RJS.

I have heard of a lot of ideas that may coincide with the Spring Game taking place on campus and it sounds great.  It's not a done deal yet, just an idea.  I think Brett is a little off the mark with his complaints and grievances.  I doubt he knows the detail to which they have looked into this option and the added comfort and entertainment possibilities.

Playing at Raymond James for a lightly attended Spring Game is overrated...we play there every home game.  Any recruit knows that.  This is a small issue and something to stir controversy in a local fishwrap.  And clearly the shot at Veit/Marketing is a little more than necessary.  Brett's simply regurgitating all the whining here about marketing.  That ought to rally some disenchanted Bulls fans around the Tribune.

I for one say have it on campus until either we have enough interest to get 30K to a Spring Game...oh wait, we need to get that to a regular season game first...Talk about embarassing.

Spend the 20K on hyping the season and the team, not paying rent for an underattended Spring Game.  

Maybe this is the marketing boost we need.  Save the change and invest it wisely in the program not in the Glazer's/TSA's wealth.

Get back on campus until we're ready for the 65K facility...what's more ridiculous?  Being on campus and having a great time, or 1500-2000 (?) people wandering around a few lower level sections of 65K seat stadium?

If it is so embarassing, maybe Brett can get The Trib to cough up some funds to sponsor the event at RJS, no wait that's the St. Pete Times that sponsors the Bulls - how embarassing!

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

9 more reasons to move it to campus this year

Spring Game 2004

100_6751002.jpg

100_6787003.jpg

100_6796004.jpg

100_6840005.jpg

100_6871001.jpg

100_6848006.jpg

100_6851007.jpg

100_6870008.jpg

Common sense

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866

Outstanding work Brett.  Way to poison the minds of any casual fans (because as we can see above those of us who follow the program day-to-day know this is probably a good idea) on how much our administration sucks even before we make an announcement.  With the exception of the green-and-gold bleeders who would attend if the scrimmage was held in Folsom, no one cares where you have a meaningless spring game.  Casual fans (re: potential season ticket holders) aren’t coming to a scrimmage… it’s that simple.  You sell season tickets by getting people to go to a game and have a great time, not by having them watch the fourth-string punter get his moment of glory.  

So why not use this as an opportunity for our "football only" alumni to head back to campus and see the new building?  Maybe when they’re sitting at Red McEwen at 1pm in the heat, they’ll drop a check towards our needed improvements to that facility.  Who knows, you might even get a few students out there and make it a real campus atmosphere!  What a concept!  You put the band and Sun Dolls out there, and all of a sudden you’ve got a fun-filled day for the family and students and sports with a merchandise stand and Lee Roy and Coach Mac signing autographs.  This is a bad thing?  Plus everyone sees up close the plans for what the Southeast quadrant of campus is going to look like in 10 years.  They are just awesome, and people might actually get excited for the future.  But you’re too busy going all Dennis Miller and busting out pop culture references spiced with a healthy kick of bitterness and sarcasm.  

As far as recruits, they just don’t care.  They will be far more interested in the attendance for the UCF game than the spring game.  Here, since you like to give out cheap shots, I’ll take a couple of my own.  Does this have anything to do with the fact that our non-existent marketing department you spoke of signed the St. Pete Times as a Golden Bull sponsor, along with many other members of the Tampa Bay business community over the past year?  Or maybe it's because no one internally will talk to you because you've alienated the entire department at this point.  

I typed this, then saw Brad’s pics… couldn’t have said it better myself!