• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Glazers paying for on campus stadium???

Joe

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Why is no one bringing up the fact that the Glazers gave $5 million for the construction of the Children's Museum downtown? Some of you are pissed because you think they don't support Tampa, which they do, and some of you are pissed because they don't specifically support USF athletics, which they have no reason to either through obligation or alumni ties. Why aren't any of you ******** about Robert Brooks? What about Bob Basham, Trudy Cooper, Chris Sullivan, and Tim Gannon? How about Gallagher, lets get on his ass for being a deadbeat alumni! They all have ties to Tampa and a ton of money. I would love for the Glazers to pony up the money for an on campus stadium, but I'm still confused as to why any of you think they should. (also, I should give a disclaimer for those of you who think a low post total or lack of unconditional support for all things USF makes me a "troll" - my diploma, USF pay stub, and my wife's USF pay stub are all available on request)

Absolutely great point. Other than being tenants in a stadium paid for with tax money and administered by the TSA (essentially the Glazers front), there are no ties that would prompt the Glazers to build something for USF. What's in it for them on the business-side? Is it the warm and fuzzy feeling of giving your most consistent tenant its own home thereby eliminating the income derived from said tenant? We should be getting up-in-arms about financially successful alumni (or even attendees) that haven't donated a single cent to USF. Besides Leo Gallegher, anyone know if attendees Terry "Hulk Hogan" Bolea or Lauren Hutton donate? I'll continue not attending Bucs games or concerts at Ray Jay.

Still trying to figure out if your truly being flippant about the sweetheart deal they have, or if your being sarcastic. If your being flippant, you may want to rethink your "other than" phrase. That is a HUGE benefit, and not an "other than". There are real people being laid off at the city of Tampa and Hillsborough County because of lack of funds. I'm pretty sure that their families would love to have some of the money back that they pay to the bucs. Do the glazers owe a **** thing to USF, NO, do they owe the community? Yes, "other than" the musuem, what have they done for the community as a whole. Public money out of private sports businesses. If you want a new stadium, build your own.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

BBM... I don't have the figures to link to but I know the Glazer foundation donates millions each year to charities around the area.

Not saying it's all rosy but it's not like they don't give generously.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

In the back of my head, I always thought George Steinbrenner would be the one to build an OCS.... I have absolutely nothing to base that off of except his ties to the bay area....

BBM... I don't have the figures to link to but I know the Glazer foundation donates millions each year to charities around the area.

Not saying it's all rosy but it's not like they don't give generously.

I don't doubt that they do, but IMO they should. It irks me when people are so quick to dismiss the benefit that they get by playing in a Tax Payer funded stadium. To be fair, it's not just the Bucs that irritate me regarding publicly funded facilities. I'm tired of the sports teams extorting money from municipalities that are laying people off. Of course as long as there are people like Ken Hagan, there will be publicly funded stadiums.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,654
  • Days Won:  424

In the back of my head, I always thought George Steinbrenner would be the one to build an OCS.... I have absolutely nothing to base that off of except his ties to the bay area....

My gut feelings told me different ... and my gut was dead on. The sign's kind of small but readable:

steinbrenner.jpg

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

My gut feelings told me different ... and my gut was dead on. The sign's kind of small but readable:

steinbrenner.jpg

There's always room for jello

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Why is no one bringing up the fact that the Glazers gave $5 million for the construction of the Children's Museum downtown? Some of you are pissed because you think they don't support Tampa, which they do, and some of you are pissed because they don't specifically support USF athletics, which they have no reason to either through obligation or alumni ties. Why aren't any of you ******** about Robert Brooks? What about Bob Basham, Trudy Cooper, Chris Sullivan, and Tim Gannon? How about Gallagher, lets get on his ass for being a deadbeat alumni! They all have ties to Tampa and a ton of money. I would love for the Glazers to pony up the money for an on campus stadium, but I'm still confused as to why any of you think they should. (also, I should give a disclaimer for those of you who think a low post total or lack of unconditional support for all things USF makes me a "troll" - my diploma, USF pay stub, and my wife's USF pay stub are all available on request)

Absolutely great point. Other than being tenants in a stadium paid for with tax money and administered by the TSA (essentially the Glazers front), there are no ties that would prompt the Glazers to build something for USF. What's in it for them on the business-side? Is it the warm and fuzzy feeling of giving your most consistent tenant its own home thereby eliminating the income derived from said tenant? We should be getting up-in-arms about financially successful alumni (or even attendees) that haven't donated a single cent to USF. Besides Leo Gallegher, anyone know if attendees Terry "Hulk Hogan" Bolea or Lauren Hutton donate? I'll continue not attending Bucs games or concerts at Ray Jay.

Still trying to figure out if your truly being flippant about the sweetheart deal they have, or if your being sarcastic. If your being flippant, you may want to rethink your "other than" phrase. That is a HUGE benefit, and not an "other than". There are real people being laid off at the city of Tampa and Hillsborough County because of lack of funds. I'm pretty sure that their families would love to have some of the money back that they pay to the bucs. Do the glazers owe a **** thing to USF, NO, do they owe the community? Yes, "other than" the musuem, what have they done for the community as a whole. Public money out of private sports businesses. If you want a new stadium, build your own.

No, I stand by what I wrote. We're nothing more to the Glazers than their most consistent tenant. That family doesn't owe USF a thing. When I wrote that posting, I didn't understand why people were getting upset with them for building a stadium for Tulane. I still don't understand the ire, since they have no direct ties to USF. I choose support TSA as little as possible, by only going to USF games. I will not attend Bucs games or other events at Ray Jay.

I wouldn't call our deal with TSA (the Glazers) a sweetheart deal, but it's the best deal USF can likely obtain under the current circumstances. For a sweetheart deal, you may want to look to Pittsburgh's deal with Heinz Field.

With regard to job cuts in Tampa and Hillsborough, I'm not sure where you're going with that line of thinking. I guess we agree that the Glazers have really done jack other than put money up for a few charities here or there and help build a museum. If USF wants its own stadium, then, we also agree, it'll have to build it itself. I hard a tough time decifering your post.

By the way, anyone know if Hulk Hogan, Lauren Hutton, or Leo Gallegher donate to USF? Hulkster Field at Watermelon Smash Stadium would be mega sweet! :D

No, I stand by what I wrote. We're nothing more to the Glazers than their most consistent tenant. That family doesn't owe USF a thing. When I wrote that posting, I didn't understand why people were getting upset with them for building a stadium for Tulane. I still don't understand the ire, since they have no direct ties to USF. I choose support TSA as little as possible, by only going to USF games. I will not attend Bucs games or other events at Ray Jay.

I wouldn't call our deal with TSA (the Glazers) a sweetheart deal, but it's the best deal USF can likely obtain under the current circumstances. For a sweetheart deal, you may want to look to Pittsburgh's deal with Heinz Field.

With regard to job cuts in Tampa and Hillsborough, I'm not sure where you're going with that line of thinking. I guess we agree that the Glazers have really done jack other than put money up for a few charities here or there and help build a museum. If USF wants its own stadium, then, we also agree, it'll have to build it itself. I hard a tough time decifering your post.

By the way, anyone know if Hulk Hogan, Lauren Hutton, or Leo Gallegher donate to USF? Hulkster Field at Watermelon Smash Stadium would be mega sweet! :D

I think that we're on the same side, USF does NOT have a sweetheart deal, the glazers do. As for employment, if tax dollars weren't going towards a stadium, they could be spent on infrastructure etc... The more money spent on local projects, the more jobs that are saved.

Shouldn't there be a big gap between sections of seats in Hulkster Field at Watermelon Smash Stadium? :P

Archived