• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Year 2 of Skip Holtz

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Most teams in Year 2 of a new Head Football Coach seem to make significant strides in the progress of becoming a quality team, this team doesn't appear to have made those strides.  I was willing to chalk up the loss to Pitt as a mulligan, however with this bad loss coupled with Pitts meltdown this program is worse off than I thought.  There seems to be no trust in BJ to throw the ball down field, our guys can't make the splash plays when needed and our defense allows to many 3rd down conversions.  This is going to be a long year as the program has taken a step backwards instead of forward.  Here we come St. Pete Bowl.

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Agree with everything except the bowl, I think we are staying home this year

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

They still dont trust BJ

Skip should have this team playing better.. very disappointing

• Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

They still dont trust BJ

All that pre-season talk about BJ 2.0 was crap.  A few less turnovers, but otherwise it's the same old BJ. 

• Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Can we wait, until, oh, I don't know, after the season maybe. We are in the EXACT same position as UConn was last year in terms of W/L overall and conference and they went to the BCS game.

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

They still dont trust BJ

All that pre-season talk about BJ 2.0 was crap.  A few less turnovers, but otherwise it's the same old BJ. 

Very well said

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

They still dont trust BJ

I agree-they don't trust him

• Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

It is like we did not build this team to be elite-merely good at best.

You want to see a team come out and be ready to win big.

Is it an issue of coaching? A lot of people thought Charlie Strong would be a better coach than Skip Holtz because of his recruiting skills, but Louisville has been average at best.

I think part of it is that we do not run a high powered offensive system, even though we have the players. Mike Leach had his problems, but he would have blown open the gates yesterday offensively against UConn.

Don't get me wrong, I like Skip Holtz. I felt that the first thing B.J. Daniels needed to do was become a competent player who didn't make stupid mistakes. He's done that better this year. He's not so up and down. I love Matt Grothe, but he had those problems sometimes.

The problem is that this team seems to lack leadership. There isn't that guy out there who will say "I'm putting this team on my back. We're going to win this game or die trying." I'm not sure we've ever had a guy with both the talent, will, and drive to be that guy. This is what you see out of guys like Andrew Luck and Tim Tebow. Will we have that guy some day? I'd like to hope so, but it's not certain whether B.J. can be that guy.

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

he's not as funny

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Most teams in Year 2 of a new Head Football Coach seem to make significant strides in the progress of becoming a quality team, this team doesn't appear to have made those strides. 

I guess you remember the 2010 team as being a lot better than I remember the 2010 team.

Archived