• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Master Plan question

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

I believe all of that is "zoned" for the research park. I could be wrong. Although I see nothing in the plan in that regard. Maybe that's being leased? No idea.

I am reading the Major Project Update. It says we took out a loan for the USF athletic facilities. Is that still outstanding/what is left on that? It says the total cost ~$33,739,750.17.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

This reply may need to be moved to the OCS thread (but that thread seems to have strictly gone down the gutter arguing whether we need one or not). 

In all of the past OCS discussions, almost always it was brought up for areas located around the old football practice fields in the NE corner of campus.  The one thing I've always wondered is why it wouldn't make more sense in the SW corner, in the empty land at Fowler and BBD.  There seems to be enough space there looking at the aerial map.  And logistically speaking, theres room there by the Fowler intramural fields for another Beard-like parking garage, not to mention the possibilities of working out an agreement with University mall to use part of their parking lot for tailgating/parking.  That would easily be within walking distance, and would be a huge boom to business for the Sweatbay shopping plaza there on Fowler.  I imagine, much easier for Bars to open up as well to cater to the football fans. Plus, it would be a great visual for anyone approaching USF from Fowler.  The NE corner seems so isolated from the businesses in the area, it just doesnt seem to make sense to me.  Maybe I'm missing something?

The empty land does not belong to USF persay as I understand... it is owned by some state co-op for the purpose of building a Tampa Research and Development Park. Betty Castro signed the property over to the co-op back during her regime.

I agree with you that this is the most logical place to put a football stadium and a subsequent "mall" area since this part of campus is barren of any real buildings and its right next door to 2 very large hotels.

Perhaps Judy and co could reclaim the property since most USF units are now going off campus anyway because the University is running out of room. Maybe the Research Park could be built over in suitcase city area near the Wal-Mart... it would make more sense to have it there since the VA is right there and the University does millions of dollars in medical research with the VA.

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

I believe all of that is "zoned" for the research park. I could be wrong. Although I see nothing in the plan in that regard. Maybe that's being leased? No idea.

I am reading the Major Project Update. It says we took out a loan for the USF athletic facilities. Is that still outstanding/what is left on that? It says the total cost ~$33,739,750.17.

no - I'm talking about NORTH of the NEW practice fields, up near holly drive.

Archived