• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Daniels Development has USF Climbing in Polls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

http://www.theledger.com/article/20110924/NEWS/110929639?Title=Daniels-Development-Has-USF-Climbing-in-Polls

BY TOM BALOG

NYT REGIONAL MEDIA GROUP

Published: Saturday, September 24, 2011 at 5:27 a.m.

Last Modified: Saturday, September 24, 2011 at 5:27 a.m.

TAMPA | The University of South Florida keeps climbing in the national polls because quarterback B.J. Daniels keeps putting up numbers approaching the stratosphere of Bulls football.

Facts

TONIGHT'S GAME

Who: Texas-El Paso (2-1) at #18 South Florida (3-0)

Where: Raymond James Stadium, Tampa.

Kickoff: 7 p.m.

Live Online: ESPN3.com

On Radio: WFLA (970-AM).

Weather: 82 degrees, scattered thunderstorms

Polk Connection: USF – Maikon Bonani, PK, Lake Wales, Jr.; Thor Jozwiak, OL, Lake Region, Fr.; Claude Davis, DE, Lake Gibson, Sr.

The reason, aside from the caliber of opponent the past two weeks, is the junior from Tallahassee has a clearer understanding of what he's doing with the ball in his hand, in his third year as a starter for the 18th-ranked Bulls (3-0).

"I like my opportunity to be more of a director," Daniels said. "Last year I was making sure I was doing what I'm supposed to do. Knowing the offense gives me the opportunity to direct the younger guys and be able to change a play and use it to the best of its ability."

Daniels tied Lake Gibson graduate Matt Grothe's school single-game passing record (382 yards) in last week's-17 blowout of Florida A&M, in which the Bulls set a Big East record with 745 yards total offense. Daniels also set a school-record for first-half passing yards with 355 yards.

This followed a 37-7 win over Ball State in which Daniels posted career-highs in completions (28), attempts (39) and yards (359).

He has thrown for 869 yards in three games, averaging 289.7 yards passing per game, completing 67 of 100 passes for six touchdowns with just one interception.

"It's only three games, I still have the rest of the season to continue to get better," said Daniels, who has started 25 games and played in 30, in his three-year college career. "I just want to be focused, consistent and take what the defense is giving us and not trying to make a big play. Just leading the offense and doing what I can."

In short, Daniels is becoming the quarterback that second-year head coach Skip Holtz believes can lead the Bulls to their first Big East championship. He has beaten Notre Dame, Florida State and Clemson, as a starter.

"Just the poise he's showing in the pocket, the confidence he's displaying, the leadership role that he's given forth," Holtz said. "He is truly playing quarterback. He's not just an athlete running around making plays."

Daniels has made a conscious effort to make sure he became a better player himself, from last season, and help the offense with his head as well.

"He said to me a number of times last year, ‘It's very hard for me to open my mouth when I'm the one that's not getting it done, making a poor throw or a poor read, not understanding everything,' " Holtz said.

"It's just doing what the coaches are asking of me," Daniels said.

In the season-opener at Notre Dame, that meant, most of all, playing mistake-free football, which Daniels did.

The Bulls upset Notre Dame 23-20, arguably the biggest win in school history, because Daniels did not turn the ball over once, and neither did anybody on the offense, while the defense registered five takeaways.

"Not only did he not have a turnover, but he never put the ball in danger," Holtz said.

His teammates, like junior running back Darrell Scott, are so inspired by Daniels' leadership that he was voted as a team captain.

"He's the heart and soul of the team," Scott said. "He has to operate everything. He runs the show. We just complement him, that's it."

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I'm glad to see BJ doing well. I knew all he needed was experience. I think next year will be even better. I hope all those people who gave him crap his first two years realize how dumb they look. He didn't deserve any of that. it's actually normal for a qb to need time to develop.

• Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

I'm glad to see BJ doing well. I knew all he needed was experience. I think next year will be even better. I hope all those people who gave him crap his first two years realize how dumb they look. He didn't deserve any of that. it's actually normal for a qb to need time to develop.

[/quote

I agree. I think he will even better next season

• Content Count:  28
  • Days Won:  0

Would also credit our WRs and RBs, especially Scott.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

BJ never had a problem playing ahead, or, playing weaker competition. He led a huge drive against ND, which was a great indicator of his development, but, it still remains to be seen if he is going to be the guy that can lead a come-back drive, or, a "nails in the coffin" type drive late, in a close game, against equal or better competition.

Again, the ND drive gives me great hope and I do believe that he's developing, but, it's way too soon to call out the critics as looking "dumb". He certainly deserved the criticism last year, but, it's great to see him bouncing back.

Even with the weaker competition, BJ's mechanics, decisions, and accuracy look LIGHT YEARS better to me so far this year. He also looks a lot more confident which is really all he needs. Clearly, he has the the tools, including a real threat at RB to take some pressure off of him.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,659
  • Days Won:  424

BJ never had a problem playing ahead, or, playing weaker competition. He led a huge drive against ND, which was a great indicator of his development, but, it still remains to be seen if he is going to be the guy that can lead a come-back drive, or, a "nails in the coffin" type drive late, in a close game, against equal or better competition.

@UConn 2009 ...

Again, the ND drive gives me great hope and I do believe that he's developing, but, it's way too soon to call out the critics as looking "dumb". He certainly deserved the criticism last year, but, it's great to see him bouncing back.

Even with the weaker competition, bj daniels mechanics, decisions, and accuracy look LIGHT YEARS better to me so far this year. He also looks a lot more confident which is really all he needs. Clearly, he has the the tools, including a real threat at RB to take some pressure off of him.

he deserved the criticism in his 2nd year as a starter in a new system after losing 7 of his 8 top receivers and playing hurt for most of the year ?? wow talk about unrealistic expectations. it's people like you who look foolish thinking a QB should step in a be perfect even with all those limitations and his lack of game experience.

95% of college QBs need time to develop. BJ Daniels is no different.

so you think we have a real threat at RB 3 games in and yet you are still skeptical of Daniels improvement and his ability to lead the team down the field 80 yards for a critical TD against notre Dame?

what did that RB do against Notre Dame? 12 carries 33 yards.

it seems to me the improved QB play has opened things up for the run. not the other way around.

I want to see that real RB threat actually do something against legit competition before i anoint him the chosen one.

@UConn 2009 ...

rutgers last year 4th quarter comeback to win by 1 .

48 yard 4th quarter TD pass to bogan against Uofl in 3 point OT win

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,659
  • Days Won:  424

@UConn 2009 ...

rutgers last year 4th quarter comeback to win by 1 .

48 yard 4th quarter TD pass to bogan against Uofl in 3 point OT win

I'll give you the Ville, but Rutgers ...?? He specifically said "equal or better competition".

Would also credit our WRs and RBs, especially Scott.

WRs with more experience helps. not sure Scott has done anything to deserve credit for daniels development though. he has 3 games, two against inferior competition, and the one against ND he had 12 carries for 33 yards.

Archived