• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone Else Notice We Still Have the Same Crappy Commerical?

Matt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

I agree about the uniforms and helmets but I think that how our university is marketed to the masses is very important.  These commercials that each schools get allocated during a broadcast are pretty much always shown back to back and we ALWAYS get outshined by the other school's commercial.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

I agree about the uniforms and helmets but I think that how our university is marketed to the masses is very important.  These commercials that each schools get allocated during a broadcast are pretty much always shown back to back and we ALWAYS get outshined by the other school's commercial.

fine-- get another one made

that is not my job and not something i am PAID to do. 

I always hate that cop out of an argument.  (if you don't like it do something better)

Just because I am not in the Marketing Department at USF or have the resources at my disposal to make a commercial for the University does not mean I do not have the right to voice my opinion about it.

that is not my job and not something i am PAID to do. 

I always hate that cop out of an argument.  (if you don't like it do something better)

Just because I am not in the Marketing Department at USF or have the resources at my disposal to make a commercial for the University does not mean I do not have the right to voice my opinion about it.

so even if I agree with you, you still are not happy?

someone agreeing with you is not a cop out-- the "get one made" is not directed at you unless you are somehow in charge of this (which would be quite strange that you were outing your own work as being terrible)

Well I apologize if that is how you meant it but when I read your comment I took it as you saying "if you don't have something better than you can't complain" .....I have seen that type of stance more than once by different people on this site and others.

• Content Count:  280

I agree with Matt here that this should be more of a priority for the University to effectively market themselves. Not for the reason that this one commercial will flip an 18 year old instantly from one school to another, but more serving as key piece of a combination of factors that help make impressions to people that might then look at USF when the time comes to choose a University (e.g. school website, academic rankings, etc).  

Regardless, the real reason I'm replying to this thread is because if anybody saw today's Fall address delivered by Judy Genshaft, she closed with a video promoting USF. The version that was shown was too long to play as a commercial, but I wouldn't be surprised if that footage was cut down and used as our new commercial as it looked pretty professional and was definitely an upgrade from what we currently have out there. It was a little cheesy in some parts, but still pretty well done IMO.  

See Link to the replay of the address below, and see the 39:06 mark for the video I'm talking about.

http://news.usf.edu/article/templates/?a=3671&z=158

Well I apologize if that is how you meant it but when I read your comment I took it as you saying "if you don't have something better than you can't complain" .....I have seen that type of stance more than once by different people on this site and others.

for all we know-- there may be a newer version in the works as we speak. I don't know that for certain but it seems reasonable. Of course-- it could be a budget issue where they had to cut certain things and this was one of those items deemed not a priority. I think I will trust Woolard or whoever had to make that decision did so with the best intentions.

either way-- it seems beyond the reach of the fanbase to make an impact short of a huge directed donation. I can forget about it for the rest of the month though-- until we play at Pitt and I need to fast forward through it again.

for all we know-- there may be a newer version in the works as we speak. I don't know that for certain but it seems reasonable. Of course-- it could be a budget issue where they had to cut certain things and this was one of those items deemed not a priority. I think I will trust Woolard or whoever had to make that decision did so with the best intentions.

either way-- it seems beyond the reach of the fanbase to make an impact short of a huge directed donation. I can forget about it for the rest of the month though-- until we play at Pitt and I need to fast forward through it again.

This wouldn't be something that is coming from Athletics.  These type of commercials are from the general University Marketing department and should never fall victim to a budget cut.  This has potential to be a revenue GENERATOR if done properly not an expense. 

I know people around here get a little sensitive when someone questions anything our Athletic department does.  This isn't the case.  I think the USF Athletic marketing department has really stepped their game up in recent years.  That Fight song campaign was very solid and well promoted.

The commercial I am referring to has nothing to do with athletics and should not require a huge donation to get done (there you go hinting at that 'if you dont like it do something better or if you dont like it make a donation to pay for something better')

In fact- it is possible that it could be done for VERY little money by utilizing the equipment and student knowledge that is already in place within the Mass Comm dept. 

Even to get something professionally done we are talking about maybe $10K-15K range.  but we are also talking about if that helps bring even 1 more student to the university then it pays for itself.   

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

honestly-- this is almost as important to me as the great helmet/uniform debates

I'm either at the game, getting a beer during the commercial, or fast forward the dvr through the commercial=--- WHO THE HELL CARES?

Mike- I guess you don't get it then.

The purpose of this commercial is to promote USF on a national level to a national audience and maybe have a few out of state students look into coming to school here.

It helps with making USF more prestigious on the national level and helps all USF alumni advance further in their career by adding more recognition to their degree.

It is far more important than how visually pleasing our Uniforms are.

In a lot of cases- the only thing the national football audience knows about the academics of our university come from these commercials. 

To continuously run some 2nd rate, garage chop shop commercial makes us look foolish.  especially those of us who graduated from USF with a degree in Mass Communications.  We have CURRENT students who could put together a better commercial.

Amen.

Everytime I see this commercial I am embarassed that I hold a degree from that school.

How hard is it to put on a half decent commercial?

Marketing department is crap.

• Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I agree with Matt here that this should be more of a priority for the University to effectively market themselves. Not for the reason that this one commercial will flip an 18 year old instantly from one school to another, but more serving as key piece of a combination of factors that help make impressions to people that might then look at USF when the time comes to choose a University (e.g. school website, academic rankings, etc).  

Regardless, the real reason I'm replying to this thread is because if anybody saw today's Fall address delivered by Judy Genshaft, she closed with a video promoting USF. The version that was shown was too long to play as a commercial, but I wouldn't be surprised if that footage was cut down and used as our new commercial as it looked pretty professional and was definitely an upgrade from what we currently have out there. It was a little cheesy in some parts, but still pretty well done IMO.  

See Link to the replay of the address below, and see the 39:06 mark for the video I'm talking about.

http://news.usf.edu/article/templates/?a=3671&z=158

Better then the current ad, but still not right for TV during the games. Well done, though - they even had Saturday's 23-20 score in there at the end. Wow, that's fast.

Archived