• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

High School Teacher/ Recruiting question

BDYZR

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

it's probably one of those gray areas and if they already had an established relationship w/ the kid.

Pre-Established Relationship: Athletics representatives who have pre-established

relationships with prospects, their parents and relatives may continue normal contacts

with the understanding that such contacts are not made for recruiting purposes, and are

not arranged by members of the institution's coaching staff.

What Sileo did was straight up illegal ...

I was just thinking that if Sileo could talk up miami interview chickillo and miami just happened to come up, there may be instances where usf may just happen to come up if you talking to a student....but like you guys have said, would probably not be a bad idea to talk to compliance first.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  1

I think were being too cautious with this. As long as your not on USF's (or any college's) payroll, I'm sure you'll be fine. I don't believe that a teacher pumping up their alma mater is a recruiting violation. Hell that's why your an alumni and why the recruit might ask you about the school. Your not giving the kid anything but advice (hopefully only advice and not impermissible benefits lol). Not to undervalue your importance, but the NCAA and USF could care less about a teacher advising his/her student (i.e. your job).

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I think were being too cautious with this. As long as your not on USF's (or any college's) payroll, I'm sure you'll be fine. I don't believe that a teacher pumping up their alma mater is a recruiting violation. Hell that's why your an alumni and why the recruit might ask you about the school. Your not giving the kid anything but advice (hopefully only advice and not impermissible benefits lol). Not to undervalue your importance, but the NCAA and USF could care less about a teacher advising his/her student (i.e. your job).

I'm pretty sure this would qualify as a pre-existing relationship (teacher/student). I absolutely DON"T believe we are being too cautious though and the rules don't read"as long as you aren't on USF's payroll". It has a clear definition of Alumni and Booster in the rules as previously indicated.

ARE YOU A REPRESENTATIVE OF THE UNIVERSITY'S ATHLETICS INTERESTS?

Representative of Athletics Interests. A representative of the institution’s athletics interests is an individual,

independent agency, corporate entity or other organization who is known (or who should have been known) by a member

of the institution’s executive or athletics administration to:

• Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution’s intercollegiate

athletics program;

• Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization

of that institution;

• Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of

prospects; (i.e. provide lodging, meals, transportation to a Penn State Coach)

• Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or have been

involved otherwise in promoting the institution’s athletics program.

Once you become a Representative of the University's Athletics Interests, YOU retain this status FOREVER!

http://alumni.psu.edu/groups/volunteer/volunteer-toolkit/toolkit/09-10-GuidetoNCAARules.pdf

Pre-Established Relationship

A relationship between the athlete (or the athlete’s parents) and the booster must predate the athlete’s status as a

prospective student-athlete. Athletics Representatives who have pre-established relationships with prospects, their

parents and relatives may continue normal contacts with the understanding that such contacts are not made for

recruiting purposes and are not arranged by members of the institution's coaching staff.

Q. Is the contact rule applicable to a representative who is an established family friend or neighbor whose relationship with a prospect or the team that the prospect represents regardless of the conversation that occurs?

A. No. Family friends or neighbors can naturally have contact with the prospect provided such contacts are not made for recruiting purposes and are not initiated by any University of Arkansas at Little Rock athletic department staff member.

http://www.ualrtrojans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7400&ATCLID=220440

Guide to NCAA Rules...for Alumni and Friends of USF

ARE YOU A REPRESENTATIVE OF THE UNIVERSITY’S ATHLETICS

INTERESTS?

You are considered a "representative of the University's athletics interests" (a booster) of

USF if you:

(a) Are or have been a member of any organization promoting USF athletics;

(B) Have ever made a donation to the Athletics Department, a specific athletics

program, or any booster organization; (INCLUDING BEING A SEASON

TICKET HOLDER)

© Have ever assisted, or been requested by a USF Athletics staff member to

assist, in evaluating or recruiting prospects;

(d) Have ever helped to arrange or have provided employment to enrolled studentathletes,

prospects, and/or their parents and relatives; or

(e) Are otherwise involved in promoting the University's athletics program. Once

you become a Representative of the University's Athletics Interests, YOU retain

this status FOREVER!

As a "representative of the University's athletics interest," you are bound by NCAA, BIG

EAST Conference, and USF rules.

If you violate any of these rules USF is RESPONSIBLE for your actions!

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf8/769544.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=7700&KEY=FLGMLBQSJQVPCQY.20110628150054

I guess since your a season tix holder than you are considered a Rep. Again, though if you are his/her teacher I'm sure you will be okay. I think since we are so passionate about USF on this site, we think too much into this. I could understand if you are a season tix holder, plus donate crazy $$ to USF, and are asked to sponsor events and meet recruits that could be a problem.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

I guess since your a season tix holder than you are considered a Rep.

You are ...

Again, though if you are his/her teacher I'm sure you will be okay.

Possibly not, if you are, or ever have been, a season ticket holder .... USF asks us not to do it so why tempt fate?

Archived