• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lakeland Polytechnic talks to remove associations with USF

willia33

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Good editorial.

A Times Editorial

Arrogant power play on universities

In Print: Friday, July 29, 2011

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/editorials/arrogant-power-play-on-universities/1182965

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Good find, Mama. With regard to the "is this good business" question, does it boil down to USF seeking independent accreditation for its satellite campuses, and USF-Tampa, ultimately, winds up getting burned by this?

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

• Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  0

The current Student Body President is my old roommate/fraternity brother and he told me he would be surprised if they didn't split off.  Apparently Rick Scott vetoed additional funding for every constructions project (including taking $10 million away from our new Interdisciplinary Sciences building) at every public university in the state except for USF Polytechnic.  Leading him to believe that it's only a matter of time before the split happens. On the brighter side USF St. Pete was also on option to become its own university and if Polytechnic goes then St. Pete stays and St. Pete is a much more valuable campus to the USF Family in terms of the Oceanography research we do out of there and our sailing team.

The College of Marine Science, though located in Pinellas county is part of USF-Tampa.

• Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

USF needs to fight the state over this. Tampa made the Lakeland campus what it is.

The only current satellite that is even remotely deserving of being separated is USF St. Pete, and they have shown no inclination to do so.

A university in Lakeland would be a waste when we already have two universities on the I-4 corridor (USF and UCF).

It would be just another UWF or UNF.

I don't have a problem with New College. They're geared towards a different group entirely (being an Honors college).

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,583
  • Days Won:  29

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Without the USF name and brand, this will become just another country cow college. They have a highly inflated opinion of themselves, I mean for god sakes it's Lakeland. Next thing you know, they will build an aluminum stadium and demand entry into the SEC.

• Content Count:  7,039
  • Days Won:  11

don't know if anybody saw this, but some lawmaker is sarasota/manatee is trying to make a push to do the same thing with the sarasota campus

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20110817/ARTICLE/110819645

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

The problem is not with the satellite campuses, the problem originates with the mother ship.

Archived