• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe Tryout with Storm

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Also Gabbart only has 3 years of statistics just like Grothe, Locker had a year that was limited due to injury (less than 100 pass attempts), and Ponder only has 4 years of stats but 1 of those was 1 game of mop up time as a freshmen.  So as far as total stats all are very similar in the time they spent behind center so lets no use the ole "Grothe didn't have a senior year" argument for comparing statistical differences. 

what's the point of this? someone pointed out how many more picks Grothe had than the other guys. i only pointed out the fact that he also had more TDs. I also pointed out that Grothe had a better passer rating his junior year than any of these guys had their senior year.

if you don't think losing the better part of your senior year(arguably the most likely to be statistically your best year) wouldn't have a greater effect than not playing your freshman year then you are insane.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

You have to remember Matt was on pace to be the NCAA All-Time Leader in INTERCEPTIONS!!!!!!!!

not even close. Matt had 44. He would have had to have 130 more to tie the record.

the BYU QB(1999-2002) who holds the record had 174 in his career and he had 61 in one season.

the guy averaged 44  a season. Matt had that for his entire career.

at least you don't let facts get in the way of your opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_records_%28individual%29#Passing

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Also Gabbart only has 3 years of statistics just like Grothe, Locker had a year that was limited due to injury (less than 100 pass attempts), and Ponder only has 4 years of stats but 1 of those was 1 game of mop up time as a freshmen.  So as far as total stats all are very similar in the time they spent behind center so lets no use the ole "Grothe didn't have a senior year" argument for comparing statistical differences. 

what's the point of this? someone pointed out how many more picks Grothe had than the other guys. i only pointed out the fact that he also had more TDs. I also pointed out that Grothe had a better passer rating his junior year than any of these guys had their senior year.

if you don't think losing the better part of your senior year(arguably the most likely to be statistically your best year) wouldn't have a greater effect than not playing your freshman year then you are insane.

Grothe Scored a lot of rushing TD's and Rushing TD's hold little value when talking about being a NFL QB.  The athleticism on defense at the next level negates most QB's rushing potential and total TD's and so does the fact that Grothe would no longer be in a read option spread system.  The part of the game where Grothe struggled was decision making and reading defenses in the passing game and those are the two most important things when it comes to being a NFL QB.  You combine that with questionable arm strength and that is not a good combination for being a successful NFL QB.  Matt was a great bull and is a HUGE part of the highs that this program has experienced in it's short existence but he's just not a NFL QB, and all of the QB's you are comparing him to are much better prospects with skill sets that are better suited to the NFL game.  Another interesting stat break down would be looking at the stats all of the above QB's Vs BCS AQ teams only.  Yes there are some QB's that have beat the odds in the measurables department but for every one of those there are many more that have failed.  The fact that Matt hasn't been able to even stick on a roster yet at any level should tell everyone something about his ability as a QB above the college level.        

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Using quarterback rating as the end all be all of who's a better QB=Failing, so hard

so quarterback rating is failing but TD-INt ratio is the end all be all. gotcha.

No leaning on ONE STATISTIC (hell even stats alone), especially one as LOL worthy as QB rating, when evaluating and comparing talent is failing. 

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

You have to remember Matt was on pace to be the NCAA All-Time Leader in INTERCEPTIONS!!!!!!!!

and future hall of famer brett farve leads the nfl in all time interceptions.

what's your point?

Yeah leading the nfl in ints is exactly the same as leading a weak be in ints. 

The best and only indicator of whether someone belongs in the NFL IS IF.THEY ARE IN THE NFL!  grothe is not and never will be.  End of discussion.  Size has nothing to do w/it.  There have been plenty of undersized qbs in the league.  Grothe doesnt have what it takes physically or between the ears to make it.  Im pretty sure nfl scouts and myself know more than the majority of posters on this board.  Dudes been gone for 2 years.  Let him go.

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

And every 1 of those qbs have  better arm strength and deciaion making ability than your hero.  None of them.had paltry 1 to 1 td/int ratios in a very weak big east during their college careers either.  Lol a 1/1 in the BE translates to a 0/3 ratio in the nfl.

Grothe had better numbers his junior year then plenty of current NFL QBs.

Blaine Gabbert had a QB rating this past year lower than grothe's junior year and he was drafted in the first 15 picks. all the scouts say he has a weak arm. they said his decision making was suspect especially in the red zone where he never had a TD pass on 3rd or 4th down. all he can throw is the curl routes.

C Ponder had the exact same rating his senior year as Grothe had his junior year. His shoulder had to be surgically repaired after the season and it was considered weak before that. he also had 2 elbow surgeries. He was drafted in the first 10 picks.

You let your blind hatred for Grothe cloud your judgement.

the NFL is terrible at evaluating QBs. half the teams trot out stiffs because they paid them millions of dollars on their measurables and potential. I wish they drafted football players instead of scouting combine wunderkinds.

Youre right.  Youre obviously an nfl gm.  My apologies...

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Bull94, are you really playing the "don't let facts get in the way" card ... while citing Wikipedia?

I can go on that site right now and "edit" the page to give you the record. The guy you think has the record "BYU's Tom Arth" -- is also credited with having 18 INTs in one game.

Don't cite Wikipedia if you're looking for accurate, verified information. Here's a site you can trust a little more:

http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Pass_INT_CR.asp?id=2

It shows Timmy Chang with most career INTs since 1970 -- 80 total in four years at Hawaii. Dan Marino is third on the list, oddly enough. Grothe, with 44 for his career, ranks 72nd.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

And hey, I'm a sophomore!

A Super Sophomore ...

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

i have no hate of grothe so none of that gets in my way of thinking, but I will bet you money I dont have he will never be in the NFL. 

didnt he just get cut from a non nfl roster before trying out with the Storm? not a good sign

kid has guts and is a playmaker and did A LOT of amazing thing at USF (mostly individual plays and stats).  He also turned the ball over A LOT at USF

something tells me the amazing plays and stats would go down in the NFL and the turnovers would go up. 

again this shouldnt even be a discussion.  I can make an argument the NY Jets are the best team in the NFL every year, but I wont because ultimately I know I am wrong, but I could. 

Archived