• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Experts: Rank the Qbs coming out of HS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

That's impossible to do, and it's impossible to immediately put Hill ahead of Ingram, or grothe ahead of both.  I think you need to grade them in groups.

GROUP ONE:  SCHAEFFER, and WEATHERFORD (he visited so he must qualify somewhat).  These two are arguably two of the top 5 HS QB's to come out of FL in the past 25 years- maybe forever.

GROUP TWO:  AD McPherson, Grothe, Hill, and maybe Ingram.  It's not to say these guys won't be fantastic at the next level like Schaeffer and Drew, but you'd have to see Brent or Drew play in HS to understand why they are held in such high esteem.  I'll go one further and say if you rated Schaeffer, and Weatherford their junior seasons to these guys senior and cumulative totals they'd still be rated higher- they were that good!  This group all has loads of potential, maybe need to work slightly in an area or two.  If I had to split this group I'd say McPherson and Grothe were the more polished, and Hill and Ingram are more athletic-raw type.  Again, that doesn't guarantee success for one and not the other, or say that the QB polished group aren't athletes or the athletes aren't QB's, this is just how each player's career is defined.

GROUP THREE:  PJ, and Banks.  Nothing against these guys, but they were both major projects coming out of HS.  Both possessed good traits, and athletic ability that made their potential at QB, but they were never close to as polished coming out of HS as the aforementioned bunch.  This also doesn't mean they won't be successful, or aren't talented, it just means the staff required a ton of work, and patience to get them to the level of being competitive.

By the way, to make sure we make this an honest forum, our top QB in USF history, Marquel Blackwell would have clearly fallen in the GROUP THREE category.  This is based off his HS performance, and raw ability when he arrived.  

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Bien: even easier than that.

Two categories:

A. QB who is also an athlete...

B. Athlete learning how to play QB...

With these two classification it becomes more cut and dry.

USF can be successful with either Grothe and/or Hill playing the position. Once they sign the LOIs all the accolades go out the window and they need to get their head into the learning the playbook ....AND.....the offensive genius on our staff need to design plays that take advantage of their strengths.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488

LPH, what's up brother.  I know this has nothing to do with your post, but I did email you on this site.  I think I left my personal email on the message.  Send me a message sometimes.  Haven't heard from ya since Key West.  I'm in Boca Raton now, south florida area.  I was thinking you might want to head down here for the Miami game.  Email me.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

schaffer can't beat out ainge so how good can he really be

grothe and hill both seem very capable

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

Smazza, please refrain from posting on any thread that asks for 'expert' opinion.  Your basis for questioning Schaeffer's ability is absurd.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

I agree with Velcro's rankings, except I have PJ ahead of Banks.  

I'd put Denson between Hill and Ingram, but those 3 are a toss-up.

I'd rank Barnhardt right after Grothe.  He went to South Carolina originally, and had leadership ability.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

schaffer can't beat out ainge so how good can he really be

grothe and hill both seem very capable

Smazz... He DID beat out ainge... then was injured.  The reason ainge stayed after shaeffer became healthy is because he earned the spot and was playing very good.  The offense had was clicking.  

If you know sports like you say you do, especially college football like the "guru" you think you are, you'd know all that.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

1. Brent Schaeffer

2a. Benson

2b. Carlton Hill

3. Matt Grothe

4. Cornelius ingram

5. AD McPherson

6. Pat Julmiste

7.Ronnie Banks