• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Wharton HS **2013**

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Southshore is correct. USF shouldn't dream of getting a 5 star bluechip athlete. We need to know our place. Stick with the two and three stars athletes.
Never said not to dream... but at the same time you have to look at the reality of the situation. For us to pull 5 star national level players we're going to need to string together a better record for a couple of seasons and actually compete for a conference title. I love USF football... but I'm also realistic enough to admit that we've only been around for a short time and we're still growing. While we're competing at the same level as schools like USC, Alabama, LSU and UF, it's foolish IMO to think that we can compete with them for a skill position player at this time. That may change after this season or 5 years down the line... but right now if you offer a kid a trip to USC or UF there's just about a 2% chance that the guy is coming here.
In the past two years, USF had more DB's drafted into the NFL than just about any school in the country. I remember GA mentioning that fact, but I'm not going to bother looking it up.

THAT is why blue chip DB's might very well consider coming here.

Southshore is correct. USF shouldn't dream of getting a 5 star bluechip athlete. We need to know our place. Stick with the two and three stars athletes.
Never said not to dream... but at the same time you have to look at the reality of the situation. For us to pull 5 star national level players we're going to need to string together a better record for a couple of seasons and actually compete for a conference title. I love USF football... but I'm also realistic enough to admit that we've only been around for a short time and we're still growing. While we're competing at the same level as schools like USC, Alabama, LSU and UF, it's foolish IMO to think that we can compete with them for a skill position player at this time. That may change after this season or 5 years down the line... but right now if you offer a kid a trip to USC or UF there's just about a 2% chance that the guy is coming here.
In the past two years, USF had more DB's drafted into the NFL than just about any school in the country. I remember GA mentioning that fact, but I'm not going to bother looking it up. THAT is why blue chip DB's might very well consider coming here.
MAY 03, 2011 DBs in draft? USF has NCAA's 2nd-most since '08 With Mistral Raymond getting picked in this past weekend's NFL Draft, USF has had five defensive backs selected in the last four drafts -- in all of college football, only USC can boast more in the last four years. USF's five of Raymond, Nate Allen, Jerome Murphy, Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams are trumped only by USC's six drafted DBs -- the Bulls are one of seven programs that have had five DBs drafted, along with LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Utah. Defensive backs have accounted for nearly half of USF's draft picks since 2008, with five of the 11 Bulls selected. It's a strong position for other Big East programs -- Cincinnati and West Virginia have had four DBs drafted, with Rutgers and Connecticut having three each. By comparison, Conference USA as a whole has had three defensive backs drafted in the same period, the MAC and Sun Belt have just six each. Could USF continue its defensive backs trend in 2012? The Bulls will have two senior starters in cornerback Quenton Washington and safety Jerrell Young, and both have their share of starting experience, with Washington entering the season with 24 career starts and Young having 18. Posted by Greg Auman at 6:34:49 pm on May 03, 2011 in

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

MB that's great and all but outside of Raymond, none of that occured under the current staff... and at that, Raymond was a CJL era player. IMO, our current staff has not put forth the coaching to get our current DB's to the next level. That's going to have to change before Blue Chips start giving us stronger consideration.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044

Of course we want him, but the reality of the situation is he's not coming here. Temper your expectations on him.

I'm thoroughly disappointed that one of the best CB's in the nation is the son of one of our long time coaches and he's still not considering USF (I mean he's considering USF, but at about the same level that Agholor did early).

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  64
  • Days Won:  0

I say we temper expectations, know our place, and go after 3/4 star athletes. We're closer to 3/4 than 2/3 IMO.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044

I say we temper expectations, know our place, and go after 3/4 star athletes. We're closer to 3/4 than 2/3 IMO.

No one said not to go after them. I think generalities around recruits at any level is silly.

But VH3 isn't coming here. His dad should try and convince him otherwise, but as of now USF is isn't in it.

Edited by Bull Martin

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

as a Dad you care more about your son's best interest than you do your current employer

as a Dad you care more about your son's best interest than you do your current employer

Do you know where his dad thinks he should go to college?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Do you know where his dad thinks he should go to college?

Here we go...