• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Carl Crawford

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

My favorite baseball player in the MLB, whether I lived in Tampa or not.  Thanks for the good years of being able to watch you play every night and congrats on the new contract.  Well deserved. 

I hope no one is bitter, I dont care if you were a Rays fan your whole life if you were offered that contract and to play in front of passionate fans that love baseball, you and show up to games.  Every SINGLE one of you would do the same thing.  If the Rays offered him a like contract I bet he would still be on the Sox. 

Gonna miss Carl....as for Pena, hit the bricks buddy... surprised by the Cubs, thats a typical Mets move. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I hope no one is bitter, I dont care if you were a Rays fan your whole life if you were offered that contract and to play in front of passionate fans that love baseball, you and show up to games.

I don't think it would have worked that way. It's more like, the Rays decided they couldn't pay Crawford that much because nobody pays to go to their games. And so, if they could afford it, it would mean there were more fans in the stands.

The Rays expanded their payroll for a few years, put together one of the three or four best teams in baseball over that time, and it wasn't enough to get people to go. I know there are reasons - the stadium's location, mainly - but I don't blame the owners for saying they need to slash their payroll, and I don't think any fan can either. I'm not a Rays fan per se, but I agree that Crawford's a fun guy to watch. Too bad for the Rays they just couldn't afford to keep him.

• Content Count:  1,412
  • Days Won:  0

My favorite baseball player in the MLB, whether I lived in Tampa or not.  Thanks for the good years of being able to watch you play every night and congrats on the new contract.  Well deserved. 

I hope no one is bitter, I dont care if you were a Rays fan your whole life if you were offered that contract and to play in front of passionate fans that love baseball, you and  show up to games.  Every SINGLE one of you would do the same thing.  If the Rays offered him a like contract I bet he would still be on the Sox. 

Gonna miss Carl....as for Pena, hit the bricks buddy... surprised by the Cubs, thats a typical Mets move.   

Bruce, you are little too young, this was not case till the recent history.

• Content Count:  4,642

sucks to see him go to the Sux....  would have been great in a Yankees uni

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

Screw you, Carl .... only thing worse would have been the Yankees.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,503
  • Days Won:  13

The Rays should have traded him and got something for him when they had the chance.

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I would have been okay with the Angels or Yankees.

At least those fields have proper dimensions. He's going to be good on playing short field catching bloopers, and his lateral speed, but anything hit decently hard out there just bounces off the wall. But he's a triples machine, and his base stealing gives the Sux another threat. Their lineup is pretty scary, but I'm still skeptical on their pitching.

Still waiting to see if the Bartlett to Padres (for 2 relievers) goes official.

The Cubs are interested in Matt Garza.

No word on Soriano yet.

Rays still have great starting rotation, and should have good defense. I don't think they'll be a cellar team, but I don't think they'll make playoffs behind the Yanks and Boston. Over/under on years til the move to Vegas?

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

The Rays should have traded him and got something for him when they had the chance.

No way. They won the division and had a great chance to make the World Series last year, no way they should have traded their best position player away in the middle of a pennant race.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

No way. They won the division and had a great chance to make the World Series last year, no way they should have traded their best position player away in the middle of a pennant race.

And they do get Boston's 2011 first round pick plus a supplemental first rounder ... Not much, considering, but better than nothing.

• Content Count:  2,511

Every marquee Rays player who was traded away or left via free agency done diddly after leaving the Rays.  Randy Winn anyone?  Josh Hamilton sort of broke out 3 years ago with the Rangers, but then bombed 2 years ago, and slightly rebounded last season.  Still was not a difference maker in the World Series.

Carl is a great outfielder and a base stealing threat, but he does not hit for power, and is prone to strikeouts if the pitcher knows his pattern.

The Washington Nationals boosted Carl's salary potential with that ridiculous offer they gave to Jason Werth.  Idiots.

Archived