• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF season recap from ESPN Big East Blog

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Brian Bennett says at the end he's not sure how much longer Mark Snyder is going to be in Tampa. After seeing this defense's performance this year, I agree with him, but man I hope he doesn't leave anytime soon. This defense was amazing, maybe the best USF has ever fielded. Certainly near the top.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/15884/south-florida-regular-season-recap

<i>The preseason slogan promised "A Holtz new era" at South Florida.

And though the Bulls' 7-5 record may not seem revolutionary, things have definitely changed in Tampa. It's not just Skip Holtz's outgoing, infectious personality that's a 180-degree turn from the crabby Jim Leavitt. This USF team always looked well-coached and prepared despite some major holes on the roster, and after some inevitable bumps in the road early on, it played its best football down the stretch. In other words, also a complete reversal of the last regime.

Holtz and offensive coordinator Todd Fitch committed to remaking the team into a balanced offense and not just one where the quarterback ran around and made plays. That meant converting talented sophomore B.J. Daniels into more of a pocket passer, which did not go smoothly at first. Daniels made far too many mistakes early on and finished with more interceptions (12) than touchdowns (9), but he gradually improved until a quadriceps injury slowed him the final few games. The Bulls didn't have a lot to work with in the receiving corps and often turned to the power running game behind Demetris Murray and Mo Plancher, two solid if not game-breaking backs who combined for more than 1,250 yards.

USF often had to try to stay in the game into the fourth quarter and hope to make a big play on special teams or elsewhere to win. The defense always kept the team in the game with what Holtz called a bunch of no names. Defensive coordinator Mark Snyder transformed the unit from what had been a fast but undisciplined bunch to one that could hold its own against bigger offensive lines.

The Bulls won four of their last six games, broke losing streaks against Rutgers and at Cincinnati and Louisville and notched a signature win over Miami. The Holtz era is just beginning, and there are many reasons to like the direction it's heading.

Offensive MVP: Dontavia Bogan

Despite having so many Florida athletes on the roster, the Bulls were surprisingly thin on offensive difference makers. Bogan was the one guy who could really stretch the field, and the passing game noticeably improved once he healed from an early-season ankle injury. He set career bests with 46 catches for 670 yards and five touchdowns.

Defensive MVP: Terrell McClain

Like West Virginia's Chris Neild, McClain was a force up the middle whose stats don't do his performance justice. The senior whom teammates call "Dancing Bear" was a dominant run stuffer best illustrated by his play to stop Louisville's fourth-down quarterback sneak in overtime.

Turning point: The 38-30 win at Cincinnati on Oct. 22 doesn't look impressive in retrospect, given the Bearcats' struggles. But that game served as a major confidence boost after an 0-2 conference start and got Daniels and the offense finally moving forward. It was also the start of a three-game winning streak at the time of year the Bulls traditionally wilted.

What's next: Holtz returns to North Carolina as the Bulls take on Clemson in the Meineke Car Care Bowl. There could be a quarterback controversy between Daniels and walk-on Bobby Eveld, who shined in the Miami game and late against UConn in the finale. Holtz needs to recruit more offensive playmakers, and he could have a hard time holding onto Snyder beyond this season.</i>

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

there are plenty of talented coaches out there

who is hiring snyder so fast

bulls would need to win something

there are plenty of talented coaches out there

who is hiring snyder so fast

bulls would need to win something

He had a good reputation as a defensive mind before he even arrived at USF, and he already has head coaching experience. I don't think he'll be gone this offseason, but another year like this year in 2011 and I would expect him to get an offer somewhere, either as a defensive coordinator at a school that will pay him more than USF can, or as a head coach somewhere.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Not sure if his head coaching experience is something to write home about, or something that can be parlayed into another head coaching job just yet.  He had kind of a rough time during most of his years at Marshall.  If USF has another good defensive performance next year, I can see him getting another small school head coaching job, or a DC position at a bigger school. 

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Not sure if his head coaching experience is something to write home about, or something that can be parlayed into another head coaching job just yet.  He had kind of a rough time during most of his years at Marshall.  If USF has another good defensive performance next year, I can see him getting another small school head coaching job, or a DC position at a bigger school. 

I agree, I'm thinking we have him another year before he gets an offer as a DC at a school that will pay him more. Do you really think he wants a head coaching job at this time, I mean he just resigned last year from Marshall?

Do you really think he wants a head coaching job at this time, I mean he just resigned last year from Marshall?

I'm sure he'd love a head coaching job. I just don't think he'll be offered one in the immediate future, except for maybe at a school even smaller in stature than Marshall is.

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Do you really think he wants a head coaching job at this time, I mean he just resigned last year from Marshall?

I'm sure he'd love a head coaching job. I just don't think he'll be offered one in the immediate future, except for maybe at a school even smaller in stature than Marshall is.

I bet he'd be considered for a gig like UNCC if and when that ever opens up....I also think that would be perfect for someone like leavitt, since he has experience with that

• Content Count:  3,116

Then we'll just have to hope that USF becomes that bigger school. The talent is there, we just need to get a QB who can play efficiently and make our offense go.

We held four opponents to twenty points our less and still lost. Turn those just two of those games into wins and we're Big East champions. Turn three or four of those games into wins, and we're talking a real BCS contender from the Big East.

The only game where we were really outclassed was against WVU. The other three Big East losses would have been wins if we'd had competent quarterbacking.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Then we'll just have to hope that USF becomes that bigger school. The talent is there, we just need to get a QB who can play efficiently and make our offense go.

We held four opponents to twenty points our less and still lost. Turn those just two of those games into wins and we're Big East champions. Turn three or four of those games into wins, and we're talking a real BCS contender from the Big East.

Can't argue with this. 

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

And who said Brian Bennett did not poke fun at Leavitt & Co? I chuckle when I read this and I recall all who said the National Media had not turned on Leavitt....long before "the incident".

"It's not just Skip Holtz's outgoing, infectious personality that's a 180-degree turn from the crabby Jim Leavitt. This USF team always looked well-coached and prepared despite some major holes on the roster, and after some inevitable bumps in the road early on, it played its best football down the stretch. In other words, also a complete reversal of the last regime."

Archived