• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

TCU + Army, Navy, & ND = superconference!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

I facepalm'd at this thread.

+1

Army, Navy and ND dont make a superconference, and won't join the big east. Plus, I doubt the talent level of an Army and Navy football team in the Big East.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

To have Army and/or Navy join the Big East I would applaud, especially with Special Ops Central Command being centered in Tampa it would be great to see. 

Just asking ... but what does this have to do with anything? 

Guest nybullsfan

To have Army and/or Navy join the Big East I would applaud, especially with Special Ops Central Command being centered in Tampa it would be great to see. 

Just asking ... but what does this have to do with anything? 

Better you don't ask. Mama could tell you, but then she'd have to kill you.

:shhh :m16

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

12 teams - these are the right ones too - forget Nova.

whatdoyathink?

pass the pipe

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

Notre Dame will never join the Big East for football. Never. Ever. Not ever.

The Irish, if they ever decide to join a conference, can join any league in the country. Why would they join the league with the worst reputation, the least money, the oddest geography, and the least prestigious teams? How on earth can anyone believe this would ever, ever happen?

Also, there are five opponents the Irish play every single year: USC, Michigan State, Michigan, Purdue, Navy. Can you guess what league three of them are in? And that league happens to be the best geographic fit for Notre Dame. And it has much higher academic standards.

But yeah, Notre Dame's gonna say eff all that and join the crappy Big East. I don't think so.

It makes huge sense for Notre Dame to join the Big East, and the reason is because of money, as in more money.  Texas was not interested in the Big 10 because it would have stopped the Longhorn Network from happening.  Instead, they chose to stay in the Big 12, where they get a cut of the Big 12 pay, as well as the ability to have their own network.  As it turns out, they stand to pull in over 30 million a year, way more than the Big 10 teams, the SEC teams, or whatever.

College football is getting harder to schedule since they went to 12 games, and Notre Dame enjoys being in the Big East in other sports.  Having them be in the league would take away scheduling concerns and provide them the consistency of schedule for non football sports that they have now.  It also provides them a supposedly easier route to a BCS game when they can still have 3 or 4 losses and possibly be the league champion. 

The best and foremost reason, however, is if the Big East would allow Notre Dame to become a member and also have their own TV network.  The Fighting Irish network or whatever they would call it, would be far more lucrative than even the Longhorn Network.  They would probably be the highest grossing university in the country.  The Big East would benefit from having a team with a tremendously diverse fanbase.  There are Notre Dame fans all around the country.  It would be a much better move than adding Villanova, Temple, Memphis, UCF, etc. 

If you look a little deeper, there are millions of reasons for Notre Dame to join the Big East instead of the Big 10.  That said, money isn't everything, and Notre Dame values their independence.  Now that Kelly has them winning more games, they may feel a bit more puffed up than they would have been if they lost the last 2 games and had another dismal year.

Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Look if the BE were serious about a super conference and you wanted to go to 12...with the football only members potentially breaking off.....the way to go would be to stay at 9.....get a good TV deal.....then go try to kill the Big12-2 by seeing if you can raid Mizzou, Kansas and Kansas State.

Get them out from under Texas and you already have TCU out there in the mix. Break into East - West conferences and it would still be probably the top Mens Basketball Conference.

Guest nybullsfan

The Irish, if they ever decide to join a conference, can join any league in the country. Why would they join the league with the worst reputation, the least money, the oddest geography, and the least prestigious teams? How on earth can anyone believe this would ever, ever happen?

Also, there are five opponents the Irish play every single year: USC, Michigan State, Michigan, Purdue, Navy. Can you guess what league three of them are in? And that league happens to be the best geographic fit for Notre Dame. And it has much higher academic standards.

But yeah, Notre Dame's gonna say eff all that and join the crappy Big East. I don't think so.

It makes huge sense for Notre Dame to join the Big East, and the reason is because of money, as in more money.  Texas was not interested in the Big 10 because it would have stopped the Longhorn Network from happening.  Instead, they chose to stay in the Big 12, where they get a cut of the Big 12 pay, as well as the ability to have their own network.   As it turns out, they stand to pull in over 30 million a year, way more than the Big 10 teams, the SEC teams, or whatever.

College football is getting harder to schedule since they went to 12 games, and Notre Dame enjoys being in the Big East in other sports.  Having them be in the league would take away scheduling concerns and provide them the consistency of schedule for non football sports that they have now.  It also provides them a supposedly easier route to a BCS game when they can still have 3 or 4 losses and possibly be the league champion. 

The best and foremost reason, however, is if the Big East would allow Notre Dame to become a member and also have their own TV network.  The Fighting Irish network or whatever they would call it, would be far more lucrative than even the Longhorn Network.  They would probably be the highest grossing university in the country.  The Big East would benefit from having a team with a tremendously diverse fanbase.  There are Notre Dame fans all around the country.  It would be a much better move than adding Villanova, Temple, Memphis, UCF, etc. 

If you look a little deeper, there are millions of reasons for Notre Dame to join the Big East instead of the Big 10.  That said, money isn't everything, and Notre Dame values their independence.  Now that Kelly has them winning more games, they may feel a bit more puffed up than they would have been if they lost the last 2 games and had another dismal year.

Go Bulls!

Your basic assumption is flawed.

Notre Dame has NO problem scheduling games.

Every FBS school is their ***** and will crap themselves for a game with ND.

They'll make MUCH more money as a FB independent than they would as a BE member. That's why they do it.

ND has their own network. It's called NBC.

• Content Count:  21,334
  • Days Won:  10

Notre Dame has money and they will not share.  Will not happen.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

(Not that I think it would happen, but...)

Why would they join the big east?  b/c the big east would likely bend to ND's will and write a sweetheart deal for them if they were to join... something completely unfair to the rest of the teams in the league.  If they felt they could retain an independant contract with NBC / not have to chare revenue, and still get special treatment, while having two chances at a BCS bid instead of 1, in a perceived weaker conference, they could choose to do it.

Like i said... wouldn't happen (shouldn't ever happen, but ND I bet would do it if the big east offered something crazy enough).

• Content Count:  1,457
  • Days Won:  0

It certainly could happen in 3-5 yrs (from 2012).  Remember this thread.

talked to Selmon about TCU and viola they are in.  Talked to Selmon about Navy + Army.....we will see.

ND is the toughest sell - the way they have been going for past years may nudge them along.

By the way I don't smoke; maybe tip it a little!

Archived