• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Sun Dome Arena and Convocation Center Renovation

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Any new information on this about architect and/or contractor selection?  Hopefully this is moving forward.  Was at the game tonight and it really is in bad shape.  Saw 3 things literally being held together by duct tape - a hole in a seat, a hole in the floor behind the 1st level student section and another seat with some rusty metal sticking out that was covered by yellow duct tape.

Was thinking about the new design.  It would be great if one entire end was rounded from corner to corner with bleachers for the student section.  This could be the section that is retracted for a concert stage set up (similar to UCF's student end). Anyhow, I hope this is moving forward - those 30 year old seats are in really rough shape.

I was over there on Friday and the Sun Dome parking lot is in shambles and it appears that they have most of the sewer and underground plumbling almost complete. They have yet to start building anything... they basically have dug up a huge portion of the Sun Dome parking lot, have it fenced off and are doing the underground stuff.

They probablly won't start building anything until next Spring.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

i hope we can see some renderings before it's complete

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Any new information on this about architect and/or contractor selection?  Hopefully this is moving forward.  Was at the game tonight and it really is in bad shape.  Saw 3 things literally being held together by duct tape - a hole in a seat, a hole in the floor behind the 1st level student section and another seat with some rusty metal sticking out that was covered by yellow duct tape.

Was thinking about the new design.  It would be great if one entire end was rounded from corner to corner with bleachers for the student section.  This could be the section that is retracted for a concert stage set up (similar to UCF's student end). Anyhow, I hope this is moving forward - those 30 year old seats are in really rough shape.

I was over there on Friday and the Sun Dome parking lot is in shambles and it appears that they have most of the sewer and underground plumbling almost complete. They have yet to start building anything... they basically have dug up a huge portion of the Sun Dome parking lot, have it fenced off and are doing the underground stuff.

Dixie... all that work being done in the south parking lot is for the practice facility... they have not yet started any of the upgrades to the actual dome itself.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Dixie... all that work being done in the south parking lot is for the practice facility... they have not yet started any of the upgrades to the actual dome itself.

Well I'll be damed... looks like they won't get started on the dome until this summer  ???

Is there a timeline  ???

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf needs to upgrade

the state wont help usf?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

IIRC it was supposed to start immediately after the last game this season and be done sometime around November of 2011... though I could be a year ahead of myself.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Well I'll be damed... looks like they won't get started on the dome until this summer  ???

Is there a timeline  ???

Yeah, thats the practice facility and its slow going there because the construction company is the same one that is building the baseball & softball complex. Most of their focus is on completing that by opening day.  But the basketball facility has to be completed first before they start any type of renovations to the Sun Dome (well maybe some minor gutting beforehand).  Of course, the Sun Dome renovations are not "official" yet, but its probably the worst kept secret in USF athletics right now.

• Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

Does everyone realize an ocs for football is on the bottom of the list for USF athletics.  A:  The cost will be astronomical, and B:  They want to get these other facilities upgraded especially when they have Ray Jay.  So unless you have 300 mill to drop you won't be seeing one in the next decade. 

• Content Count:  6,831
  • Days Won:  22

Here is an article from earlier this month that talks about Commencement services being moved in 2011 due to SunDome renvations

http://www.usforacle.com/news/sun-dome-renovations-to-change-2011-commencement-venues-1.2419990

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Just a thought about the renovations.....ice rink capabilities?

Archived