• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A Five-Point Plan for Offensive Recovery

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  971
  • Days Won:  0

Keep in mind I'm just trying to salvage the season (2-3 more wins) and lay a foundation for next year.  Obviously, we need to recruit, recruit, and recruit some more to get the kind of players Skip wants.

1.  Rethink offensive goals and expectations.  Forget the big play (no gimmicks or complicated plays that take a long time to set up).  Just try to eliminate the negative yardage plays, the TOs, and penalties.  My goals would be about two TDs, 130 yards rushing, and 100 yards passing, with no more than one negative yardage play, zero turnovers, and maybe 15 yards of offensive penalties (hard to eliminate those entirely).

2.  Within the current playbook (important for the future), select a reduced number of plays and variations of plays that are most consistent with the above goals, as well as the actual abilities of our players.  Practice should focus on execution, with a high degree of repetition.  This is especially important for our younger players (and future stars).  It is now apparent we have been trying to do too much with what we have.  Play the cards we have been dealt, as lousy as they are (our bluffs are highly transparent).  Generally speaking, I think we should be calling about two runs to every pass attempt.  This is not a catch-up-quickly offense . . . and our defense and special teams need to keep that in mind.  This will not excite many fans either, but an occasional win will make up for it.

3.  We now have the advantage of knowing how every defense will attack us (with minor variations) for the rest of the year.  Entice the opposition to load the box.  Lull them to sleep with our simplicity.  In this scheme, blocking at the point of attack becomes everything.  A couple of devastating blocks and big things can happen.  If you can't block, you can't play.  No exceptions. 

4.  Use the best players for our reduced scope of attack (to a large extent, I think this is already being done . . . that's why some players we thought we would see haven't been playing).  For example, all of us (including our opponents) know we only have one decent receiver.  Any other WRs need to be excellent blockers (and capable of catching a ball every now and then when loosely covered).  Our base set should probably be 2WRs (Bogan and Landi), one TE, and two RBs.  Forget the empty back sets, etc.

5.  Allow BJ to excel.  Don't expect him to be able to go thru 3 and 4 WR progressions on thrid and long.  An insane OC is one who keeps doing the same thing and expecting a different result.  More 1980s-style run/pass options could help.  When we are able to see BJ consistently throw the ball away (or run) when receivers are covered, you will know his decision making load is manageable.

That's all I can offer.  GB!

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Keep in mind I'm just trying to salvage the season (2-3 more wins) and lay a foundation for next year.  Obviously, we need to recruit, recruit, and recruit some more to get the kind of players Skip wants.

1.  Rethink offensive goals and expectations.  Forget the big play (no gimmicks or complicated plays that take a long time to set up).  Just try to eliminate the negative yardage plays, the TOs, and penalties.  My goals would be about two TDs, 130 yards rushing, and 100 yards passing, with no more than one negative yardage play, zero turnovers, and maybe 15 yards of offensive penalties (hard to eliminate those entirely).

2.  Within the current playbook (important for the future), select a reduced number of plays and variations of plays that are most consistent with the above goals, as well as the actual abilities of our players.  Practice should focus on execution, with a high degree of repetition.  This is especially important for our younger players (and future stars).  It is now apparent we have been trying to do too much with what we have.  Play the cards we have been dealt, as lousy as they are (our bluffs are highly transparent).  Generally speaking, I think we should be calling about two runs to every pass attempt.  This is not a catch-up-quickly offense . . . and our defense and special teams need to keep that in mind.  This will not excite many fans either, but an occasional win will make up for it.

3.  We now have the advantage of knowing how every defense will attack us (with minor variations) for the rest of the year.  Entice the opposition to load the box.  Lull them to sleep with our simplicity.  In this scheme, blocking at the point of attack becomes everything.  A couple of devastating blocks and big things can happen.  If you can't block, you can't play.  No exceptions. 

4.  Use the best players for our reduced scope of attack (to a large extent, I think this is already being done . . . that's why some players we thought we would see haven't been playing).  For example, all of us (including our opponents) know we only have one decent receiver.  Any other WRs need to be excellent blockers (and capable of catching a ball every now and then when loosely covered).  Our base set should probably be 2WRs (Bogan and Landi), one TE, and two RBs.  Forget the empty back sets, etc.

5.  Allow BJ to excel.  Don't expect him to be able to go thru 3 and 4 WR progressions on thrid and long.  An insane OC is one who keeps doing the same thing and expecting a different result.  More 1980s-style run/pass options could help.  When we are able to see BJ consistently throw the ball away (or run) when receivers are covered, you will know his decision making load is manageable.

if it were that easy we'd all be coaches...

#1 - wont win games...

#2 - Thats likely what they do

#5 - The coaches are only having BJ make 1 read right now... its obvious when he tries to do multiple progressions or reads he fails

• Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

1- use BJ as running back and wildcat qb

2-use Eveld as qb

3-use Plancher only in short yardage situations, give Shaw, Murray, and BJ  the ball

4-replace quinton washington with k webster as starting cb

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

+1

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

+1

Webster on 1 side and T-Rex on the other.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

And you'll be rewarded with an offensive coordinator position under Coach Dozer's staff.  ;D

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  0

1. You want to win games with 230 yard of offense?

2. I think the number of plays is about as reduced as it can get.

3. No passing game is an advantage? So you propose running student body left and student body right all game?

4. See #3

5. "Allow" him to excel?  The only person stopping BJ is BJ.

• Content Count:  326
  • Days Won:  1

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE TIGHT ENDS ON THIS TEAM. NOT ONE EVEN ON THE FIELD SINCE KETCHELS TD AT THE GATOR GAME. PATHETIC PLAY CALLING

Archived