• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF can not afford the luxury of reshirting Gunsby

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I honestly believe Gunsby was red shirted because Eveld flat out beat him out for the #2 QB spot.

Calling for a red shirting true freshman to come in that was more than likely beat out by a walk-on true freshman is a tad bit outlandish.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  444
  • Days Won:  0

As I said in another similar thread.  Holtz is redshirting Gunsby and playing a true freshman walk-on, even though Gunsby is better, because Gunsby is the future at that position?  How does that even make sense?

Holtz isn't playing Eveld, he is playing BJ.  Eveld is just a place holder on the 2-deep to buy time for Gunsby to groom.

Place holder?  You can read the coach's mind?  By the way, Gunsby is so much the future they have committed for next season 2 QBs and are still recruiting Jacoby Brisset.

That's what I believe based on the circumstances with which Gunsby/Eveld were acquired by USF.  I didn’t say Gunsby was a guarantee; just that he is the best option for the future out of the current candidates.  Because he is no guarantee, naturally, you wouldn’t just stop recruiting QBs.

As I said in another similar thread.  Holtz is redshirting Gunsby and playing a true freshman walk-on, even though Gunsby is better, because Gunsby is the future at that position?  How does that even make sense?

Holtz isn't playing Eveld, he is playing BJ.  Eveld is just a place holder on the 2-deep to buy time for Gunsby to groom.

Place holder?  You can read the coach's mind?  By the way, Gunsby is so much the future they have committed for next season 2 QBs and are still recruiting Jacoby Brisset.

That's what I believe based on the circumstances with which Gunsby/Eveld were acquired by USF.  I didn’t say Gunsby was a guarantee; just that he is the best option for the future out of the current candidates.  Because he is no guarantee, naturally, you wouldn’t just stop recruiting QBs.

If Gunsby is truly the future it makes more sense to red shirt him this season than give him garbage minutes.  He's not going to beat out BJ this year.  Holtz and Fitch are committed to BJ.  Gunsby will have plenty of opportunity to get garbage minutes next season.  A true freshman will look just as confused as BJ out there with this receiving core and pass protection.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

LOL  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Now we are calling for a kid who does not know the plays to be our savior QB.  This place gets better all the time.  No need to shell out coin to visit a comedy club.  Thanks.  This thread is a classic.   :D :D :D

Normal

And BJ does know the plays? He may "know" them in his head or in practice, but surely doesn't play as if he knows them. If you look at the situation it just might be more beneficial for Gunsby to be getting minutes this year. I'd rather lose with a QB that will be gaining experience than with a QB that just does not "fit" into the "system". We never really had a "system" for BJ to learn, snap it, read option, or run around and throw it.

I honestly believe Gunsby was red shirted because Eveld flat out beat him out for the #2 QB spot.

Calling for a red shirting true freshman to come in that was more than likely beat out by a walk-on true freshman is a tad bit outlandish.

If what you believe is true, then I agree, it would be outlandish.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

While I have been a Holtz critic on other issues, this is one I have chosen to trust him on. If Skip does have this grand plan of making USF  into a powerhouse, I think we should give him a little quarter on decisions like these.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,633

Is it because he wants Gunsby to be a senior against UF in 2014? - Doubtful. You cant worry about a game 4 years down the road. Who knows what will be going on with either program at that time.

Is it because he convinced BJ to quit basketball to focus on QB, and he feels a sense of obligation to BJ now? Who convinced him to quit? He wasn't a part of the team last year to focus more on football.

Is it because BJ was Leavitt’s guy and Gunsby is his guy, and he would take more heat for the losses if they take place with his guy over center?After bj daniels play last year, I dont think anyone could have seen how drastically different he'd play this year. Holtz has even said that in practice, he makes all the right reads, throws, etc, and how when he gets into the games, the game speed seems to effect him.

Is it because he thinks BJ can reach the minimum requirement of winning 3 more games?Umm...I dont think the Birmingham or St. Pete Bowls were the goal for the season. I dont think that any coach goes into a season with a goal to win "X" amount of games.

If Gunsby is truly the future it makes more sense to red shirt him this season than give him garbage minutes.  He's not going to beat out BJ this year.  Holtz and Fitch are committed to BJ.  Gunsby will have plenty of opportunity to get garbage minutes next season.  A true freshman will look just as confused as BJ out there with this receiving core and pass protection.

If we are going to lose with either QB, I say lose with Gunsby.  I don't see them as garbage minutes; I see them as time on the job training if he is playing while the game is still winnable.  I’d like to avoid as much garbage time as possible next year.  I’m sure he would look as confused as BJ, but at least he would gain experience to build on during a loss that we'll apparently suffer either way.  Heck, there’s an outside chance he’d execute.

If we are going to lose with either QB, I say lose with Gunsby.  I don't see them as garbage minutes; I see them as time on the job training if he is playing while the game is still winnable.  I’d like to avoid as much garbage time as possible next year.  I’m sure he would look as confused as BJ, but at least he would gain experience to build on during a loss that we'll apparently suffer either way.  Heck, there’s an outside chance he’d execute.

But if he's not really going to play any better (which is what the coaches think from watching practice and red shirting him), then it's better to give him time to learn the system before throwing him into the fire.  He's a freshman, he's got a whole lot to learn text book wise in the college game.  No sense in burning a year of eligibility for no better results on the field.  He can pick up the minutes next year if BJ is still struggling and then have 3 more years of eligibility to go instead of 2.

Gunsby was a bit of a reach as a recruit.  He was an unevaluated player that came from virtually no where at the last minute when Skip pulled Carnes scholarship.  Gunsby was picked up for depth.  If he becomes the starting QB at USF it's added bonus, but it's not why he's here.

But if he's not really going to play any better (which is what the coaches think from watching practice and red shirting him), then it's better to give him time to learn the system before throwing him into the fire.  He's a freshman, he's got a whole lot to learn text book wise in the college game.  No sense in burning a year of eligibility for no better results on the field.  He can pick up the minutes next year if BJ is still struggling and then have 3 more years of eligibility to go instead of 2.

Gunsby was a bit of a reach as a recruit.  He was an unevaluated player that came from virtually no where at the last minute when Skip pulled Carnes scholarship.  Gunsby was picked up for depth.  If he becomes the starting QB at USF it's added bonus, but it's not why he's here.

You don't think that he will progress faster with real playing time than he would with only practice? 

I'm saying we can't afford to be greedy and try to get 4 whole years out of him.  The severity of our immediate problem won't allow for it.  The result on the field this year might not be any better, but he could hit the ground running next year.  I see sense in burning the redshirt.  This is all hands on deck...ship is sinking.  We'll find another QB for 2014.

And he may be what you say he is, but I don't see why you would want to preserve his redshirt with as dire as things are at QB right now.