• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How to fix the offense?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

So i say again, how do you know he can do this?  He's been far from looking like a world beater the few times we have seen him on the field?  I think just because the guys is a "pocket passer" people are making assumptions he can do these things even though he has never shown the ability to consistently do it.  If you know people on the team that are telling you the opposite of this please let it be known but nothing i have seen or heard suggest that he has the ability to surely do these things as easily as some are suggesting.  Just like i didn't have blind faith that BJ would come in and be productive when Matt went down (I was also not one of the loons calling for him to replace Matt preinjury) I'm not going to have blind faith that a true freshman walk on will come in and immediately be able to do things that he has not shown the ability to consistently do.  Yes i know he was drafted in the MLB draft, however playing QB in a BCS conference and playing minor league baseball are worlds apart.

I did say "if" he can see the blitz. The point I was making is that, he won't necessarily take a lot of sacks because he's not as mobile as BJ. Honestly, a blind cockroach could see some of the blitzes that the Cuse ran today. Who knows if Eveld can read the blitz and beat it. I know that BJ can't though, and it results in him getting sacked or running for his life.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  901
  • Days Won:  0

the offense needs to be built around the talent and not build an offense for which we don't have the talent "or his guys".

he's thrown bj off balance.  quit jamming a square peg in a round hole.

• Content Count:  21,080
  • Days Won:  39

For those of you that think it's because Skip's offense doesn't fit bj daniels strengths, just remember most of you were complaining that BJ ran too much last year.  Also, one of his apparent weaknesses is not being able to see wide open receivers.  How does a change in offense going to help that. He's got to be able to pass sometimes.

Yes and people forget that last year if he couldn't run our offense looked miserable. 

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

For those of you that think it's because Skip's offense doesn't fit BJs strengths, just remember most of you were complaining that BJ ran too much last year.  Also, one of his apparent weaknesses is not being able to see wide open receivers.  How does a change in offense going to help that. He's got to be able to pass sometimes.

I think he misses guys because his struggles at standing in the pocket and going through progressions. I say move the pocket more cut the field in half which gives him less to diagnose and gets him on the move so he can take off.  By putting him back there dropping back you are making him a stationary target for pressure and making him survey the whole field.  I think we need to get offensive players other than the WR's involved in the passing game as well.  

• Content Count:  21,080
  • Days Won:  39

Skip Holtz offense needs Skip Holtz players, they are not here yet so his offensive coaches need to dance with what we have .

They have no faith in BJ and have taken him out of the game.

This would actually suggest they have no faith in the guys behind BJ on the depth chart

Yeah I think if they had anyone else they would be in there.

• Content Count:  1,479
  • Days Won:  0

The Skipmeister said multiple times in the offseason he was going to build the scheme this year to fit the current players and would change it to whatever he wanted over time as his players came in.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

the offense needs to be built around the talent and not build an offense for which we don't have the talent "or his guys".

he's thrown bj off balance.  quit jamming a square peg in a round hole.

What was "balanced" about BJ last year?

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

I say change the QB.  BJ looks just like he looked at the scrimmage in Vero.  couldn't complete a pass then, continues with the same.  We don't know how someone else will do because they haven't been given a chance. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,703
  • Days Won:  108

If you watch the speech on Greg's blog after the game, Skip claims that he IS building the offense around BJ.  If true, it speaks volumes about what BJ is capable of understanding.  To me, he is trying to "pass first" which has made him slower to take off but has been allowing him to be caught more easily by the defenders.

Archived