• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

we got cannons!

Should we continue to use the cannons  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest nybullsfan

Didn't hear it on the internet stream, but my first thought when reading the thread was that we were copying another tradition, this time from Rutgers. But I think they did it once per score, not once per point.

IMO, a cannon is cool, but it needs to look 'real', and it needs smoke, so it's clearly identifiable where it is.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  22,719
  • Days Won:  109

Rutgers used a cannon.  And they fired it right next to the visitors section.  Don't remember what they did last year now that they enclosed that end of the stadium.  That game and the weather were so horrible I was kind of numb and don't remember much of that evening. 

Guest nybullsfan

Yah, I was there in '05, so I don't know what they're doing these days. Probably moved it to the corner of the endzone, even closer to the visitors, LOL.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  329
  • Days Won:  0

1) there was a black box maybe 3ftx3ft in the northeast tunnel. the sound was coming from there, not the pirate ship. The tunnel probably made it sound louder than the pirate ship. (if you think it was bad sitting next to that box, imagine sitting in the tunnel where I was, and having the living bejesus scared out of you everytime we scored)

2) What's wrong with trying to start a new tradition? What does the cannon have to do with the Bulls? Nothing. What does a cannon have to do with the miami hurricanes? nothing.

1) there was a black box maybe 3ftx3ft in the northeast tunnel. the sound was coming from there, not the pirate ship. The tunnel probably made it sound louder than the pirate ship. (if you think it was bad sitting next to that box, imagine sitting in the tunnel where I was, and having the living bejesus scared out of you everytime we scored)

2) What's wrong with trying to start a new tradition? What does the cannon have to do with the Bulls? Nothing. What does a cannon have to do with the miami hurricanes? nothing.

Exactly - the 'Canes have a cannon after a touchdown - and it's set off by a fraternity, not ROTC.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Exactly - the 'Canes have a cannon after a touchdown - and it's set off by a fraternity, not ROTC.

Not arguing for or against having a cannon... but if we're going to do it let's atleast have a cannon.... not a huge speaker box. That's the epitome of tacky....

Guest Sunburned

Can you perhaps find another example?  Cause a cannon makes perfect sense at UT, considering its Texas and their state history.

Its one thing if we had the USF ROTC cadets firing a cannon on the field, but its entirely different using the cannons from the Bucs ship.

1.   Florida! Cannons! State history!     Castillo de San Marcos, St Augustine FLORIDA

220px-CastilloGun.JPG

"The Castillo de San Marcos is the oldest masonry fort in the United States located in the city of St. Augustine, Florida. Construction was begun on the fort in 1672 by the Spanish when Florida was a Spanish possession. During the twenty year period of British occupation from 1763 until 1784, the fort was renamed Fort St. Mark  , and after Florida became a U.S. territory in 1821 the fort was again renamed to Fort Marion, in honor of revolutionary war hero Francis Marion. In 1942 the original name of Castillo de San Marcos was restored by Congress."  Wikipedia

2. Those explosive sounds didn't come from the pirate ship.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,657
  • Days Won:  6

Guys, ECU uses a cannon.  Guess where the idea came from.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Sorry to dissappoint, but cannons are used at some colleges games, and not just pirate/military themes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_the_Cannon

Can you perhaps find another example?   Cause a cannon makes perfect sense at UT, considering its Texas and their state history.

Its one thing if we had the USF ROTC cadets firing a cannon on the field, but its entirely different using the cannons from the Bucs ship.

A cannon also makes perfect sense at USF because of Tampa and its local folk lore of Jose Gaspar and the history of Tampa along with most of West Florida as being a haven for privateers and pirates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Gaspar

I see no difference between UT having "Old Smokey" at their games and us taking advantage of the Pirate Ship in ours... hopefully this will encourage some to push for an OCS.

Also I agree it did not come from the pirate ship... the sound needs to come from the ship.

Personally I liked it... bout time papa Glaizer started letting us use that ship.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Sorry to dissappoint, but cannons are used at some colleges games, and not just pirate/military themes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_the_Cannon

Can you perhaps find another example?   Cause a cannon makes perfect sense at UT, considering its Texas and their state history.

A cannon also makes perfect sense at USF because of Tampa and its local folk lore of Jose Gaspar and the history of Tampa along with most of West Florida as being a haven for privateers and pirates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Gaspar

I see no difference between UT having "Old Smokey" at their games and us taking advantage of the Pirate Ship in ours... hopefully this will encourage some to push for an OCS.

Also I agree it did not come from the pirate ship... the sound needs to come from the ship.

Personally I liked it... bout time papa Glaizer started letting us use that ship.

Dixie... read the thread

THE CANNON WAS NOT COMING FROM THE SHIP.... IT WAS A SPEAKER BOX IN THE TUNNEL... IT WASN'T EVEN A CANNON

Archived