• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls 81 UTA 51

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,412
  • Days Won:  43

Lets not get too excited though because the road is going to get a lot tougher now that we are in C-USA play.  USF had 6 wins last season heading into C-USA play, so this year is not much different yet with 7 wins (you cant really count that win over DIVII IMO). USF needs to win at ECU to show the doubters something. Better yet, USF students and fans need to pack the Dome on 1/8 against UAB. If USF somehow starts 2-0 in C-USA then you have something brewing this year. I am just happy that we are playing smarter and better now. The FTs were not too good, but at least the defense picked up.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

That's the weekend BEFORE classes start back up, so don't count on a huge student turnout.  They should be able to make it, but probably won't know that the game is even happening.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Trib game story:

USF's Dennis Menaces Texas-Arlington

By GREGG BECNEL Tribune correspondent

Published: Dec 30, 2004

TAMPA - South Florida guard Collin Dennis came off the bench to lead three Bulls in double figures as USF closed out 2004 with an 81-51 win against Texas-Arlington at the Sun Dome on Wednesday night.

The Bulls had little trouble in their final tune-up before beginning Conference USA play at East Carolina on Jan. 5.

Dennis, a 6-foot-2 freshman, went into the game shooting 30 percent from the floor and averaging 4.6 points. He also was 0-for-11 from 3- point range in the five games before UTA.

But against the Mavericks, Dennis was eight of 10 from the field, including four of six from 3-point range, and scored a career-high 21 points in only 24 minutes.

``I've always said he's one of our best shooters,'' USF coach Robert McCullum said. ``I knew it was just a matter of time before he stepped up and knocked down shots. When you look at his stroke, I've never worried about him shooting the basketball.''

Dennis said it was good for the Bulls to get production from their bench, which scored 29 points.

Dennis was happy to see his shots fall.

``I've been in a big-time slump,'' he said. ``I think it's more of a mind thing. But I found my shot [Wednesday]. I hit the first one and that gave me confidence. I just let it come to me. I didn't try to force it too much.''

USF (7-4) almost squandered a 22-point halftime lead when UTA opened the second half with a 17-3 run to cut the Bulls' lead to 44-36 with 13:36 to play.

``When we come out after halftime, we try to win the first five minutes,'' said guard Marlyn Bryant, who finished with 14 points. ``But we didn't accomplish that goal. But we called a timeout and pulled it together. We came back and started executing on the offensive end and playing good, solid defense.''

USF put the game away with a 32-10 run to go ahead 76-46 with 3:19 remaining.

Terrence Leather scored 18 points for the Bulls and Brandon Brigman had a team-high seven rebounds. Brian Swift finished with eight points, five assists and three steals. Sophomore Chris Capko, who transferred from Florida, scored two points and had five assists.

Meanwhile, sophomore walk-on guard Brandyn Flowers, who played in seven games last season, left the team and withdrew from school. Flowers is the 13th player or coach to leave USF or be dismissed since McCullum became coach last year.

TEXAS-ARLINGTON (5-4) - Griffin 0-6 0-0 0, Thomas 4-9 8-9 16, Howell 4-8 5-5 15, Dawkins 1-5 0-0 3, Floyd 5-9 0-1 12, Epps 0-3 0-0 0, Guidry 1-1 1-3 3, James 0-0 0-0 0, Sauls 0-1 0-0 0, Neukomm 0-3 0-0 0, Henderson 0-1 0-0 0, Posey 1-3 0-0 2. Totals 16-49 14-18 51. SOUTH FLORIDA (7-4) - Prekevicius 1-8 0-0 3, Leather 6-10 6-6 18, Jones 4-6 1-2 9, Bryant 6-7 2-6 14, Swift 3-8 0-0 8, Brigman 0-2 0-0 0, Capko 0-0 2-4 2, Dennis 8-10 1-1 21, Holmes 0-2 1-2 1, Diarra 2-4 1-2 5. Totals 30-57 14-23 81. Halftime-USF 41-19. 3-Point goals-Texas-Arlington 5-15 (Howell 2-3, Floyd 2-5, Dawkins 1-4, Sauls 0-1, Epps 0-2), USF 7-20 (Dennis 4-6, Swift 2-6, Prekevicius 1-6, Holme 0-2). Fouled out-None. Rebounds-Texas- Arlington 35 (Thomas 11), USF 33 (Brigman 7). Assists-Texas-Arlington 8 (Howell 4), USF 21 (Swift, Capko 5). Total fouls-Texas-Arlington 19, USF 19.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBWC0CGC3E.html

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

impres

Trib game story:

Meanwhile, sophomore walk-on guard Brandyn Flowers, who played in seven games last season, left the team and withdrew from school. Flowers is the 13th player or coach to leave USF or be dismissed since McCullum became coach last year.

this has to be some kind of record  ::)

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

How do you withdraw from school in between semesters?

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,412
  • Days Won:  43

I love how the Trib just through that negative slant in at the end of the article. Things never change. Maybe Flowers wanted to go somewhere so that he can play basketball instead of riding the bench.  Chris Capko left UF so he can play instead of sitting on the bench. Good luck to Flowers on his new direction.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Flowers realized he had zero shot of playing anymore since capko is here.  His situation changed, so he left.  Nothing wrong with that.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

one of coach mac's guy's stepping up!

FT % is down hope this does not become a problem.

"called time out and got it together" a sign of good coaching not panic!

we have a third scorer we just need a consistant one. we miss mosley!

hope the boy's are ready to step up to cusa play!

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

the reason it was down was because Bryant was getting to the line... he isn't a great FT shooter, but the fact that he is being aggressive and putting double digit points on the board makes up for that and then some.