• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF gives Stan Heath an extension through 2015

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

Great news. Just repoorted by USF on facebook.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  100
  • Days Won:  0

From the <a href="http://twitter.com/USFAthletics">USF athletics Twitter feed</a>:

<blockquote>USF has signed head basketball coach Stan Heath to a contract extension through 2015. Stay tuned to GoUSFBulls.com later for more details...</blockquote>

Nothing at GoUSFBulls.com or Greg Auman's blog as I type this. It's excellent news, though, Heath deserves it.

• Content Count:  1,797

Good.  That takes away a potential negative recruiting angle for other teams.

Normal

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

TAMPA -- The University of South Florida and Director of Athletics Doug Woolard announced a contract extension through 2015 for men's basketball head coach Stan Heath.

"I am very pleased to extend Stan's contract," said Woolard. "In just three years, he has been able to position our men's basketball program as a viable competitor within the BIG EAST Conference and nationally. Winning games in the best conference in America is no small feat, and to have us in the postseason in that period of time is one heck of an achievement.”

Heath signed a contract that added three years to his previous agreement, which was due to expire on August 1, 2012.

For the complete release, click here:

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=204965802

• Content Count:  56

Nice...He deserved a new deal. I'm sure he'd trade a year of his contract for pair of guards, though. The backcourt will struggle in the Big East...

• Content Count:  100

<a href="http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/07/usf-gives-heath-raise-new-deal-through-2015.html">Here's Greg</a>:

<blockquote><i><b>USF gives Heath raise, new deal through 2015</b>

Fresh off a 20-win season, USF has announced a new contract extension for men's basketball coach Stan Heath, who picks up a solid raise and is now the Bulls' coach through 2015.

Heath, who led USF to its first postseason appearance in eight years in the NIT in March, had two years remaining on the contract he signed when he came to Tampa in 2007. This new contract, combined with the Muma Center practice facility being built just south of the Sun Dome, represents a substantial financial commitment to basketball as the Bulls try to move up in the Big East standings.

"My family and I are honored and appreciative of USF's commitment to our basketball program," Heath said in a statement. "My staff and I look forward to the work ahead in building a championship program. It's an exciting time to be a USF Bull."

Heath, 41-54 in three years at USF, was making $675,000 a year under the original contract, but his new deal averages $900,000 a year, a raise of 33 percent. The contract was signed by Heath, athletic director Doug Woolard and USF President Judy Genshaft on Wednesday, the final year of USF's fiscal year.

"I am very pleased to extend Stan's contract," Woolard said in a statement. "In just three years, he has been able to position our men's basketball program as a viable competitor within the Big East Conference and\ nationally. Winning games in the best conference in America is no small feat, and to have us in the postseason in that period of time is one heck of an achievement.â€

The pool for his assistants also increases from $375,000 to $435,000, a 16 percent bump.

The new contract slightly lessens the penalty Heath would pay if he left USF in the final years of the deal. Under the previous contract, Heath had to pay $27,083 for each month left on the deal when he terminated the contract -- that figure is the same until March 2013. In the final two years of the contract, his cost to leave the Bulls would drop to $20,833 per remaining month in the fourth year and $12,500 per remaining month in the final year. It would still cost Heath $500,000 to leave with two years left on his contract.</i></blockquote>

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Yahoo, Stan is the man.  He has helped to rebuild our team, while we compete in the toughest basketball conference there is.

Great stuff. 

Congrats Stan.  I hope we extend it again for a decade more.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

That's showing a real commitment to Stan Heath for his hard work.  I was stunned when we hired him at nearly 700K...I'm glad to see the commitment to the sport I love.

Whatever happened to Brett McMurphy's accusations of NCAA violations?  With that on the periphery there is no way USF would have given him a new contract.  I guess it was more McMuprhy manufacturing of a story?  Apparently, nothing to worry about.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

New basketball practice facility.....CHECK

Head coach locked in.....CHECK

New arena.....

Archived