• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rams inked both Selvie and Murphy today

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

this thread made me go back and look at all those posts where we whined and complained about how bad murphy has been playing and i got to relive those EPIC board meltdowns...

hilarious looking back

"Where we whined" ... with the 'we' being the aforementioned board experts who think they know more than the people who's lives are spent evaluating football players .... and if you want an even more hilarious read, look back and read the threads where you "experts" lambasted the "stupid" coaches for holding back the next Jim Brown... Those were a hoot.

If our coaches were good they wouldn't be predominantly unemployed and/or working the same job at North Texas. We had bad assistant coaches and you know that too...

On Ford... It would be hard to say he wasn't the most athletically gifted back that we had... He should have been the starter but since mike was too lazy and didn't want to work he was in the doghouse... Probably rightfully .. I think Mike is going to make the pros via supplemental draft and hopefully the money will motivate him....

Voicing your opinion makes you a board expert... Okay... What's the point of making a post then... The same could be said about you being overly optimistic about anything involving usf... It could be that you know even less than those of us(vast majority) who believe that Murphy had a less than stellar senior year at USF.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,528
  • Days Won:  0

cool to see Murphy and Selvie on the same team to start their careers.

• Content Count:  1,479

The "experts" who get paid don't always know either. Would Ryan Leaf  have been the #2 pick in the draft? How many times has an "expert" in the media said something about USF that was absolutely wrong and you KNOW they had only watched 5 mins of highlights.

I hope he has a long sucessful NFL career, but that doesnt take away the surprise being drafted that high.

• Content Count:  4,642

this is awesome news! grats to both!

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Looks like murph got himself a nice new ride...

That would be my first order of business too!

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Murphy getting $1M tells me our d-back coaching was lousy.  He looked like a chump in our 'system'.

A little early to be making those determinations.

how?

he had a terrible senior year... you can't tell me NFL GMs drafted him based upon his tape at USF.

dude is a physical presence at CB, he can be coached to be a great player.

LOL .... I know I should be immune to this by now but it still amuses the heck out of me when message board "experts" think they know more than college, and now pro, coaches. Murph tied for the team lead in picks and fumbles recovered and led the team in unassisted tackles and broken up passes yet you consider that a "terrible" year and think NFL GM's couldn't have possibly been impressed by his tapes. Fact is there were 29 cb's drafted after him and I'm sure more than a few had a "physical presence" at the position. I'm sure his "physical presence" played a part in his getting drafted but I'd be willing to bet his skill work on the field played a much bigger part ... Here's hoping his replacement has just as "terrible" a year for us.

he was terrible at usf

bonehead play after bonehead play

carlos zambrano got 90 million

the rams are known for making dumb decisions

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Murphy getting $1M tells me our d-back coaching was lousy.  He looked like a chump in our 'system'.

A little early to be making those determinations.

how?

he had a terrible senior year... you can't tell me NFL GMs drafted him based upon his tape at USF.

dude is a physical presence at CB, he can be coached to be a great player.

LOL .... I know I should be immune to this by now but it still amuses the heck out of me when message board "experts" think they know more than college, and now pro, coaches. Murph tied for the team lead in picks and fumbles recovered and led the team in unassisted tackles and broken up passes yet you consider that a "terrible" year and think NFL GM's couldn't have possibly been impressed by his tapes. Fact is there were 29 cb's drafted after him and I'm sure more than a few had a "physical presence" at the position. I'm sure his "physical presence" played a part in his getting drafted but I'd be willing to bet his skill work on the field played a much bigger part ... Here's hoping his replacement has just as "terrible" a year for us.

he was terrible at usf

bonehead play after bonehead play

carlos zambrano got 90 million

the rams are known for making dumb decisions

I feel even better about my position on this now ...

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Someone made a very interesting point, that despite a pretty bad senior season (I seem to recall talk of Murphy not even starting toward the end),

Link?

I seem to recall is hardly the kind of definitive statement that should solicit a call for a link.  I mean I think we are all delighted to see Murphy make it into the pros and truly hope he excels.  His senior year was a huge dissappointment.  Could be many reasons for that (could have been playing hurt, could have been asked to do too much, I don't know).  But to say you hope his replacement plays that well?

Here is a good article talking about his draft - mentions him being benched twice in second half.  http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=374189

Here is Greg's write-up following Lousiville game and I think it was in response to wide-spread discussion/speculation (comments from USF coaches about needing to get someone in there to get the job done), but it doesn't look like he ever relinquished the starting role.  Really not trying to bring all this up to bash the guy, just seems like we are exercising some very "selective" memory and jumping down the throats of a handful of posters who seem to have  decent point.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/11/usf-coaches-to-stick-with-murphy-at-corner.html

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

this thread made me go back and look at all those posts where we whined and complained about how bad murphy has been playing and i got to relive those EPIC board meltdowns...

hilarious looking back

"Where we whined" ... with the 'we' being the aforementioned board experts who think they know more than the people who's lives are spent evaluating football players .... and if you want an even more hilarious read, look back and read the threads where you "experts" lambasted the "stupid" coaches for holding back the next Jim Brown... Those were a hoot.

If our coaches were good they wouldn't be predominantly unemployed and/or working the same job at North Texas. We had bad assistant coaches and you know that too...

On Ford... It would be hard to say he wasn't the most athletically gifted back that we had... He should have been the starter but since mike was too lazy and didn't want to work he was in the doghouse... Probably rightfully .. ....

Exactly ... but how many threads were there lambasting the coaching staff for not utilizing our Gale Sayers reincarnate?

It could be that you know even less than those of us(vast majority) who believe that Murphy had a less than stellar senior year at USF.

LOL .... If you had called his year "less than stellar" to begin with, we wouldn't be having this conversation .... but you felt the need to embellish your criticism of his year with "terrible" and THAT's where I had the problem. Murphy had his rough times but overall his year was not terrible and his stats bear that out.

• Content Count:  3,403

Yet another thread of "supposedly" USF fans belittling USF athletes who gave it their all on and off the field for USF.   Gotta love it.

First DoJo this week.  Now Murphy.  And the USF coaches.

When does it end? 

Some of you people suck and I wish you would convert to become UCF fans.   

You can not compare the 2, imo.  Murphy was blasted all last season for his constant need to commit penalties and getting burnt a lot.  I have no idea why everyone has turned against USF's best basketball player, so complain away there.  There is no way all you guys defending Murphy predicted he would go as high in the draft as was projected after his junior season.  I don't know why some of you are acting like he didn't get burnt a lot last season.  Our secondary wasn't very good last year, and Murphy was one of the bigger disappointments.

I wish him all the luck in the NFL.

Edit:  btw, TripleB, a corner getting a lot of tackles is not a good thing for the defense.

Archived