• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football: What could be vs. what actually is

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

Despite all of USF's success, I think the Bulls STILL have more upside than ANY program in the country.

Central  FL recruiting + huge student body + big local alum base + football-crazed culture + solid coaching + relatively easy conference = major potential.

I could see USF becoming the 2nd best team in state and one of the dominant teams in the country. Whether it will come to that ... I'm not sure.

Do you agree that USF has this kind of potential? Do you think it will ever be reached? Why or why not?

• Content Count:  21,335
  • Days Won:  10

It comes down to money, we need to spend like a FSU, or UF.

Guest Sunburned

Despite all of USF's success, I think the Bulls STILL have more upside than ANY program in the country.

Central  FL recruiting + huge student body + big local alum base + football-crazed culture + solid coaching + relatively easy conference = major potential.

I could see USF becoming the 2nd best team in state and one of the dominant teams in the country. Whether it will come to that ... I'm not sure.

Do you agree that USF has this kind of potential? Do you think it will ever be reached? Why or why not?

True there's a huge student body + a big local Alumni base, but if there's a football crazed culture why isn't the stadium packed game days???

• Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

It's simple, win and everything else will follow. The money, the recruits, the full stadium, the covers of magazines. How do we win? We need a great coach to win with the talent we have who can also recruit well. Guess what, we have one! I truly believe in five years we will have had our first BE championship, first top 25 ranking at the end of the year, first top 25 recruiting class.

That could also define our cousins to the east... well, except the "solid coaching" part.

Based on your formula, UCF is a coaching change away from matching USF in potential.

Of course, potential doesn't pay the bills.

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Its obvious that the Football Program is poised to take the next step, however, getting to elite status (2nd in the State of Florida) will take alot $$$$$$ and several BCS bowl appearances.  

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Investments in time and money; I feel more donors will step up as CSH proves he can win here-just a feeling

• Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

That could also define our cousins to the east... well, except the "solid coaching" part.

Based on your formula, UCF is a coaching change away from matching USF in potential.

Of course, potential doesn't pay the bills.

This gets to the heart of my question. What is the variable that has given us more success? Is this the same variable that will take us to the next level?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

however, getting to elite status (2nd in the State of Florida) will take alot $$$$$$ and several BCS bowl appearances.  

It will take $$$$, BCS bowl WINS and, most importantly, multiple wins over the Big 3 programs to get to #2 in the state .... We're talking decade at bare minimum.

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Bullwark and I were talking the other day, and could you imagine if the Bulls had gone to a bowl game in 2001 when they were independent (or 2002?)? USF went what, 9-2 that year? But being independent, they were an at-large bowl bid, and some teams won/lost in the last week of the season and secured enough spots...

Had USF been invited to an at-large bowl that year (their first year of Division I/FBS football), not only would it be unprecedented (they played a full C-USA schedule that year from what I was told), but the recruiting jump could have/would have probably made an earlier rise...a few key players come in, and other wins could have been within reach...just a thought.

Archived