• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football: What could be vs. what actually is

Central FL recruiting + huge student body + big local alum base + football-crazed culture + solid coaching + relatively easy conference = major potential.

That could also define our cousins to the east... well, except the "solid coaching" part.

Based on your formula, UCF is a coaching change away from matching USF in potential.

Of course, potential doesn't pay the bills.

This gets to the heart of my question. What is the variable that has given us more success? Is this the same variable that will take us to the next level?

Not necessarily.

The Big East intangibles, especially TV games, and the chance to play "name" programs are the bigger reasons USF has managed to pass UCF.

But more than anything, USF rode the BCS train to this point. Lose the BCS automatic qualifier, and USF becomes the next ECU.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

Had USF been invited to an at-large bowl that year (their first year of Division I/FBS football), not only would it be unprecedented (they played a full C-USA schedule that year from what I was told),

2002 btw,  but USF only played 4 C-USA teams and did not play the top 3 place teams(TCU, Cinci, and Louisville ) that year.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,701
  • Days Won:  108

Despite all of USF's success, I think the Bulls STILL have more upside than ANY program in the country.

Central  FL recruiting + huge student body + big local alum base + football-crazed culture + solid coaching + relatively easy conference = major potential.

I could see USF becoming the 2nd best team in state and one of the dominant teams in the country. Whether it will come to that ... I'm not sure.

Do you agree that USF has this kind of potential? Do you think it will ever be reached? Why or why not?

I believe that the potential is there.  It will take time, a lot of time, but having a team that consistently finishes in the Top 25 with a BCS bowl win or two is within the grasp of USF.  I think it will take 12 - 15 years - with the occasional finish in the Top 25 possible on the way there.

You can see that slow progress is being made.  Spring game attendance is on a gradual rise as are season ticket sales (trending upward at least).  As more students graduate that are football fans, establish themselves financially and contribute to the program the amount available for assistant coaches and recruiting will increase.  You would hope that the coaching and recruiting will improve as more funds become available.

All of this is contingent upon USF staying in a BCS conference.  If not, all bets are off and we'll just have to enjoy USF football with no hopes of National Titles and consistent Top 25 finishes.

• Content Count:  743

Its definitely going to take money but winning is the best way to get it. The payout for a BCS bowl is 18million right? and the payout for our international bowl is 750,000? Thats a pretty substantial difference.

• Content Count:  771

WIN WIN WIN

Lack of conference championships is what's holding usf back.  #2 in 07 wooopty freakin do.  yeah it's exciting as fans to reminisce about the good ole days, but if usf wants respect they need to start getting to bcs games.

• Content Count:  12,463
  • Days Won:  25

Agree with CousinRicky, and I've said this before, our FOOTBALL ALUMNI will continue to grow in numbers and donations.

And don't forget, we're coming off one of the deepest recessions in history - AND WE'RE STILL GROWING!

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

however, getting to elite status (2nd in the State of Florida) will take alot $$$$$$ and several BCS bowl appearances.  

It will take $$$$, BCS bowl WINS and, most importantly, multiple wins over the Big 3 programs to get to #2 in the state .... We're talking decade at bare minimum.

3  years usf  should be a top 20 team

holtz isnt getting 10 years

Archived