• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Network 'is definitely on the table'

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/05/21/1201115/mountain-west-tv-what-you-need.html

here we are:

at the bottom of the article it shows the mountain with 8million subscribers.  I figure with the teams as is the big east could probably pull 12-15 million with there markets.  if they brokered basketball and football seperate, and had the football schools be solely with the BE network they could pay out 10-13 million per school assuming they get an average of 60cents per subscriber.  This would be a lot more attractive to say maryland and bc to join the league.  Then the sky is the limit if they do it right.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/05/21/1201115/mountain-west-tv-what-you-need.html

here we are:

at the bottom of the article it shows the mountain with 8million subscribers. I figure with the teams as is the big east could probably pull 12-15 million with there markets. if they brokered basketball and football seperate, and had the football schools be solely with the BE network they could pay out 10-13 million per school assuming they get an average of 60cents per subscriber. This would be a lot more attractive to say maryland and bc to join the league. Then the sky is the limit if they do it right.

Your math is a little off. 12-15 million at 60-cents is 86 to 108 million per year.

But it would not be split 8 ways, but 16 ways - and not evenly... Assume the football brings in 1/3rd of the revenue and basketball/all other sports bring in the other 2/3rds...

That would mean the basketball schools would each get 3.5 to to 4.5 million per year, then the eight football schools would get a total of 7 to 9 million each.

Now, this is just subscriber fees -- it does not include advertising, most of which would fund the operations of the network and production of the various events and shows.

here we are:

at the bottom of the article it shows the mountain with 8million subscribers. I figure with the teams as is the big east could probably pull 12-15 million with there markets. if they brokered basketball and football separate, and had the football schools be solely with the BE network they could pay out 10-13 million per school assuming they get an average of 60cents per subscriber. This would be a lot more attractive to say maryland and bc to join the league. Then the sky is the limit if they do it right.

Your math is a little off. 12-15 million at 60-cents is 86 to 108 million per year.

But it would not be split 8 ways, but 16 ways - and not evenly... Assume the football brings in 1/3rd of the revenue and basketball/all other sports bring in the other 2/3rds...

That would mean the basketball schools would each get 3.5 to to 4.5 million per year, then the eight football schools would get a total of 7 to 9 million each.

Now, this is just subscriber fees -- it does not include advertising, most of which would fund the operations of the network and production of the various events and shows.

my math isn't off if the football schools got everything from the network.  That is why I said they should broker a deal separately for basketball and football. 

here we are:

at the bottom of the article it shows the mountain with 8million subscribers.  I figure with the teams as is the big east could probably pull 12-15 million with there markets.  if they brokered basketball and football separate, and had the football schools be solely with the BE network they could pay out 10-13 million per school assuming they get an average of 60cents per subscriber.  This would be a lot more attractive to say maryland and bc to join the league.  Then the sky is the limit if they do it right.

Your math is a little off.  12-15 million at 60-cents is 86 to 108 million per year. 

That would mean the basketball schools would each get 3.5 to to 4.5  million per year, then the eight football schools would get a total of 7 to 9 million each.

my math isn't off if the football schools got everything from the network.  That is why I said they should broker a deal separately for basketball and football. 

Okay, I missed that in your post - sorry.

But that makes it even worse.  The MTN and BTN both include ALL sports... not sure that a Big East Football Only Network would by financially viable.  What would be on this network from January through August?  Other than Spring Games and signing days, there aren't any football events from the end of the bowl seasons until kickoff on opening day.

No. Any cable network the Big East forms would be for all sports. All sports means 16 teams.

here we are:

at the bottom of the article it shows the mountain with 8million subscribers.  I figure with the teams as is the big east could probably pull 12-15 million with there markets.  if they brokered basketball and football separate, and had the football schools be solely with the BE network they could pay out 10-13 million per school assuming they get an average of 60cents per subscriber.  This would be a lot more attractive to say maryland and bc to join the league.  Then the sky is the limit if they do it right.

Your math is a little off.  12-15 million at 60-cents is 86 to 108 million per year. 

That would mean the basketball schools would each get 3.5 to to 4.5  million per year, then the eight football schools would get a total of 7 to 9 million each.

Okay, I missed that in your post - sorry.

But that makes it even worse.  The MTN and BTN both include ALL sports... not sure that a Big East Football Only Network would by financially viable.  What would be on this network from January through August?  Other than Spring Games and signing days, there aren't any football events from the end of the bowl seasons until kickoff on opening day.

No. Any cable network the Big East forms would be for all sports. All sports means 16 teams.

I agree they need to boot out most of the non football members, but it's probably not going to happen.  Even if they gave the non football members more of the basketball pot so they don't feel left out would be ok.  They would have to figure st johns would probably get the BE network in the new york city market.  especially if they say no local syndicate can air any of the BE basketball games unless they are the network that owns the rights.  basically what I am saying if ESPN pays for BE basketball they would have first dibs on games they would air.  If espn decides they didn't want to show the game then BE network would air it in that region.  It would force providers to put it on basic cable in those areas.  It might also force nd hand, cause the BE network would reap off of ND basketball and ND wouldn't get anything for it.  Not saying any of this will happen, but I think that would be a more innovative idea than just sitting back and doing nothing

• Content Count:  4,016

can you not make the silly talk about 'booting out the non-football members' of the BE.  That statement alone should put someone in the penalty box and not allowed to discuss this topic until they do proper research and can talk about it intelligibly.

The non-football/Catholic Schools are not getting booted out of anything.  They not only control 50% of the lower tier voting rights they also control 75% of the voting rights of the owners of the trademark, and BE application with the NCAA.  If anything the non-football members will be giving the football members the boot...it will never be the other way around. 

A network, if feasible would be contingent on the BE culling together ALL their sports.  The panacea for a Network wouldn't be some football game, but the Big East Men's and Women's hoop tournament.  That is one of the biggest televised sporting events in the northeast.  I've also contended that if the BE could, and only if they could, find a network feasible then it would probably be contingent on some type of super growth to the conference- something that many members still may not agree on.  One where they add 4-8 more members to form a hockey (which is highly televised events in the northeast) conference, and add for football too.  I don't believe that happens, but that's the only way.  The difference between the BE, and say B10, and SEC is they actually compete in more sports that have television viewership interest, for example the B10 has hockey, wrestling, swimming and diving, and gymastics.  To get advertisers you must not only create an audience but give them viewable events they can advertise during.  The BE would need to add members to bolster those areas.

can you not make the silly talk about 'booting out the non-football members' of the BE.  That statement alone should put someone in the penalty box and not allowed to discuss this topic until they do proper research and can talk about it intelligibly.

The non-football/Catholic Schools are not getting booted out of anything.  They not only control 50% of the lower tier voting rights they also control 75% of the voting rights of the owners of the trademark, and BE application with the NCAA.  If anything the non-football members will be giving the football members the boot...it will never be the other way around. 

A network, if feasible would be contingent on the BE culling together ALL their sports.  The panacea for a Network wouldn't be some football game, but the Big East Men's and Women's hoop tournament.  That is one of the biggest televised sporting events in the northeast.  I've also contended that if the BE could, and only if they could, find a network feasible then it would probably be contingent on some type of super growth to the conference- something that many members still may not agree on.  One where they add 4-8 more members to form a hockey (which is highly televised events in the northeast) conference, and add for football too.  I don't believe that happens, but that's the only way.  The difference between the BE, and say B10, and SEC is they actually compete in more sports that have television viewership interest, for example the B10 has hockey, wrestling, swimming and diving, and gymastics.  To get advertisers you must not only create an audience but give them viewable events they can advertise during.  The BE would need to add members to bolster those areas.

I grew up in michigan, followed U OF M my entire childhood.  I know what they follow up there and college hockey is not that big in terms of tv.  The big 10 isn't a hockey conference.  the teams that play hockey are apart of the ccha.  They might very well televise some games on the b10 network, but that is not the money maker.  Football is what brings in the cash.  I don't think anyone says they will boot out non football members, but they should unless they don't want to be an AQ conference anymore. 

I grew up in michigan, followed U OF M my entire childhood.  I know what they follow up there and college hockey is not that big in terms of tv.  The big 10 isn't a hockey conference.  the teams that play hockey are apart of the ccha.  They might very well televise some games on the b10 network, but that is not the money maker.  Football is what brings in the cash.  I don't think anyone says they will boot out non football members, but they should unless they don't want to be an AQ conference anymore. 

AGAIN...I am using caps because it doesn't sink in, THEY CANNOT BOOT THE NON-FOOTBALL MEMBERS BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT.  THE ONLY PEOPLE IN OUR CONFERENCE THAT HAVE THE RIGHT TO "BOOT" ANYONE IS THE NON-FOOTBALL MEMBERS. 

I hope that was clear, therefore the point being there will be no "BOOTING" there coul be "SPLITTING" but the "SPLITTING" economically would not benefit the football members because they would have to go it alone, meaning no BCS tie-in, no television contract, no-NCAA conference affiliation (it takes 2 years to form a new conference and the first two years is strictly as a provisional member), no bowl tie-ins.  Think about that in your discussions and that will explain why it doesn't make sense unless absolutely necessary.

As for your hockey discussion, actually it is a money maker.  Attendance, conference tournaments, and the Frozen Four have become NCAA revenue producers.  ESPN wouldn't buy the rights unless they were not.  The B10 is not a hockey conference "YET", but they've publically explored the option, partially for the desire to capture this revenue and television rights.  Look over the articles because the B10 has started a public discussion about it, even thinking of adding some non-traditional B10 schools that have hockey to create the conference and revenue possibilty.  Football rules, BUT, when you have a network you must televise more than just football.  You need to schedule a 365 day television package and the B10 is exploring creating hockey to fold in this available programming to their network.  It gives them more potential subscribers, more potential programming that otherwise gets televised by ESPN, and other regional carriers.  Therefore it matters, and would matter to the BE in a theoretical world where they grew big, all the major hockey presence around them might as well capture that too if the BE were ever able to create a network because Lord knows they lack the football clout alone to launch a network.  I never suggested it matters more than football, or hoops, but when a conference has it's own network it needs to make sure it uses as much airtime as possible, the more sports on the more eyes watching the more eyes watching the greater the advertising revenue.

• Content Count:  1,985

This will never launch due to a number of reasons, most notably the high broadcast numbers already seen for BE MBB games.  We have too many games on the ESPN suite and national broadcast games before you even look at the other college bball outlets.  Why would a subscriber pay to see games already broadcast for free?  And ESPN et al would take the broadcast rights first.  If they do not you are simply shifting dollars from the current TV contract to the BEchannel.

Second, the BE does not have the alumni numbers nationally to make this work.  Football is just not a big enough draw to get national subscribers, and you have to get Time Warner, Comcast, and Cox on board for a move like this, and they will not do it regionally.

As for hockey, that would help, but not sure enough. The one variable that would help this out would be Notre Dame coming on board, but they probably would not do that, and I do not see them getting their independent TV contract once their current deal expires.

This will never launch due to a number of reasons, most notably the high broadcast numbers already seen for BE MBB games.  We have too many games on the ESPN suite and national broadcast games before you even look at the other college bball outlets.  Why would a subscriber pay to see games already broadcast for free?  And ESPN et al would take the broadcast rights first.  If they do not you are simply shifting dollars from the current TV contract to the BEchannel.

Second, the BE does not have the alumni numbers nationally to make this work.  Football is just not a big enough draw to get national subscribers, and you have to get Time Warner, Comcast, and Cox on board for a move like this, and they will not do it regionally.

As for hockey, that would help, but not sure enough. The one variable that would help this out would be Notre Dame coming on board, but they probably would not do that, and I do not see them getting their independent TV contract once their current deal expires.

good points...these smallish Catholic Schools have tiny enrollment numbers, and small pools of alumni.  A school like Ohio State probably graduates more kids in one year then Villanova has in it's entire school.  Ditto for Wisconsin, and MSU, and Illini...the SEC schools are even bigger, they pump out future subscribers like an assembly line.  Whereas the BE is filled with many tiny, elitist Northeastern Catholic Schools, or an elitist SUNY like Syracuse.  Just not a big enough alumni play.

The hoops could be broken off equitably from the ESPN, or a smaller more abbreviated agreement could be worked out with ESPN, but like you said the BE doesn't have the alumni support for interest to watch the BE Network if it is televising St. Johns v. Providence, if on ESPN they've got Syracuse v. Connecticut.  Just not a deep enough well...wheras if the B10 was showing OSU v. UW in hoops they would still get solid support to watch Iowa v. Northwestern....or maybe more like Illini v. Minnesota (a more closer representation to SJU v. PC)...but two state schools have tons more television interest.

From a viewership standpoint I can't see the BE capable of maintaining an exclusive network.

Archived