• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Marinatto stays quiet, busy amid Big Ten talk

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Would Nebraska leave the B-12?? With ND not going anywhere. Would the B-10/11 invite 1 or 2 more team(s) if Nebraska rejects? And who would be next in line?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

Would Nebraska leave the B-12?? With ND not going anywhere. Would the B-10/11 invite 1 or 2 more team(s) if Nebraska rejects? And who would be next in line?

nebraska wouldn't reject

While I'm on my rant. Who would you add to the conference that would make it better than it is?   Marinatto would love to add a school that bring in more than it takes.  Adding another school adds another mouth to feed.  As the B10 is evaluating right now that very idea.  There is no slam dunk football playing school out there that will make the Big East better outside ND. University presidents & Boards make the call not AD's.  They will be looking for good sports and high profiles.  AAU membership Tier 1 schools or high Tier 2. Universities are first and foremost institutions of learning they want to associate themselves with other learning elite schools.  Sometimes this gets lost in the conversation. 

We were lucky while we are Tier 3 be pull down a lot of research money and that put us over the hump so to speck with the Big East.  Any new school must meet this criteria and maybe more.  Now if the Big East losses a school this criteria will change.   My guess is if we do loose a school it will be only one school.  The Big 12 is the conference that has to watch out. It doesn't share its money so it makes makes a lot of sen$e for schools to bail. 

Marinatto is in a tough spot and the only thing he and any other conference at this point is watch the Big Ten and see what happens.

TCU for starters.  Then think about ECU if necessary.

TCU will join the Big 12 before it joins the Big East.

TCU will not join tHe B12, the B12 already has that market covered and I don't see Big Brothers UT and A&M going for it.

You may be right, but UT and A&M had no problem being in the conference with TCU and SMU for decades.  Why would they be so opposed to it now?

Expansion is not ONLY about television markets.

Guest nybullsfan

if we were to lose only rutgers and somehow manage to get tcu as a replacement, I would call that a net gain for the big east

• Content Count:  771

if we were to lose only rutgers and somehow manage to get tcu as a replacement, I would call that a net gain for the big east

yep, would completely agree.  Even houston would be an upgrade in sports(not academically). 

• Content Count:  115

As I see it the Big 12 if they loose 1 school would probably go TCU because of  history & Politics.  Now if they loose 2 Utah & TCU.  Of course if the Big 10 took 2 it means Nebraska and Missouri left with Rutgers from the Big East.  My guess is Rutgers would be replaced by Memphis.  While there academics are suspect none of the other schools jump off the page either.  

Umass has some upside but only has a basketball add if you lost a a b-ball school or went to 18 schools in the Big East.  

Temple was kicked out once and is unlikely to get voted back in.  The Big East tired to get them to upgrade football for years but they just never seemed to make it even getting passed by Ucon who was upgrading to D1.  

ECU is good at football but really sux at everything else plus there market is crowed. Academics are shaky.

UCF has a nice market & big size but not much else. There facilities are nice but I wonder about there long term plan there.  They took on a lot of debt maybe a little more than they should have and could find themselves in trouble down the road.  The rest of there sports are middle of the road even by non BCS standards.  While this may break some UCF fans heart "UCF is 2-41 all-time against opponents from BCS conferences, having beaten Alabama in 2000 and N.C. State in 2007".   Football is not that great.  Its ok but has a long way to go.  Academics are shaky.

Memphis facilities are nice but they need to upgrade some of there football facilities.  Their academics are shaky. Their market is smaller than UCF but they are popular in their market. With only Tenn being their biggest competition.  Football is average at best.  They might bring the Liberty Bowl with them. Nice geography fit with UL & Cin.  They have a relationship with UL, Cin, and USF from the CUSA days.  But the real clincher is B-ball they are superior to every other school because of this.  The Big East is made for B-ball. By adding Memphis they are upgrading b-ball side of the conference.  Schools that play b-ball only will be inclined to include them and remember that is half the votes.

• Content Count:  115

Lets face it outside market and academics Rutgers is not that great in sports.  Of course they keeping beating us but that's another story. TCU & Houston wouldn't be bad but they are a little far off of our geographic foot print.  Maybe both together? TCU is a small private Christian school but has a tradition in football.  We do share a old conference USA link with them.  Hey maybe we could beat them in basketball.  Houston is a large state school with a nice market but share there market with all of the other big state schools.  I would be surprise if they aren't in the Big 12's plans.

• Content Count:  4,016

As I see it the Big 12 if they loose 1 school would probably go TCU because of  history & Politics.  Now if they loose 2 Utah & TCU.  Of course if the Big 10 took 2 it means Nebraska and Missouri left with Rutgers from the Big East.  My guess is Rutgers would be replaced by Memphis.  While there academics are suspect none of the other schools jump off the page either.  

Umass has some upside but only has a basketball add if you lost a a b-ball school or went to 18 schools in the Big East.  

Temple was kicked out once and is unlikely to get voted back in.  The Big East tired to get them to upgrade football for years but they just never seemed to make it even getting passed by Ucon who was upgrading to D1.  

ECU is good at football but really sux at everything else plus there market is crowed. Academics are shaky.

UCF has a nice market & big size but not much else. There facilities are nice but I wonder about there long term plan there.  They took on a lot of debt maybe a little more than they should have and could find themselves in trouble down the road.  The rest of there sports are middle of the road even by non BCS standards.  While this may break some UCF fans heart "UCF is 2-41 all-time against opponents from BCS conferences, having beaten Alabama in 2000 and N.C. State in 2007".   Football is not that great.  Its ok but has a long way to go.  Academics are shaky.

Memphis facilities are nice but they need to upgrade some of there football facilities.  Their academics are shaky. Their market is smaller than UCF but they are popular in their market. With only Tenn being their biggest competition.  Football is average at best.  They might bring the Liberty Bowl with them. Nice geography fit with UL & Cin.  They have a relationship with UL, Cin, and USF from the CUSA days.  But the real clincher is B-ball they are superior to every other school because of this.  The Big East is made for B-ball. By adding Memphis they are upgrading b-ball side of the conference.  Schools that play b-ball only will be inclined to include them and remember that is half the votes.

Honestly I can't see Memphis making it in in any way shape or form.  You're not putting enough emphasis on academics and when you've got 16 Presidents voting on this, half of which will see not a dime from the new addition, and that half made up of pretentious uppity Catholic schools that were not happy with us.  Forget Memphis, and for that matter ECU, and/or UCF are on a thread.  Grabbing a tier 4 academic institution with average to below average ratings on research, and structured education will not happen!  If any of those gets picked to me it will be ECU or UCF...strictly because they embody more potential in football, and at least have some level of autonomy in their academic structuring and development whereas Memphis is a B**CH in TN to UT, UT's got a medical school smack dab in Memphis. ECU and UCF have the ability to move up academically, and they have the facilities over Memphis too.

I'll keep say it but don't be suprised though if darkhorses, in this situation only, rise up in Temple, Buffalo, and Umass.  I've heard grumblings about this already, but Temple didn't work before partly because they struggled without a home for all sports.  This year their football team could be it's best in 50 years, and other sports have always been competitive.  Buffalo is an AAU school, and the BE loses an AAU school in RU...and that does mean a LOT to these Presidents.

TCU will never, ever, never be added to the BE.  First the B12 won't let them get away, and two the geography is to massive.  It would mean they skipped over about 8-9 options to travel 1000 miles out of the way.  The BE schools just don't make enough money individually from conference pay-outs to justify taking such an outlier and causing massive, massive jumps in their travel budget.  Thirdly, and this is the most important, good luck getting a "Christian" non-denominational school with a loose affiliation to a Christian Protestant outlier group, into a conference where 50% are Catholic Schools.  For you non-religious folks I'll save you the trouble "It not happenin."

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Do you think the Big East would look at ucf books to see how much in debt they are in? I here Cincy is in serious debt right now. That's why you don't here about them in any expansion talk.

• Content Count:  4,738

i dont think it ends there.  If those scenarios occur, SEC tries to take texas teams.  If they fail, then they try to get clemson, fsu, GT, etc

then acc fills the void left.  hopefully that is where USF comes in.  This is the dream scenario.

Archived