• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: Ex-USF star Jones clarifies comment on teammates

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

Ex-USF star Jones clarifies comment on teammates

By SCOTT CARTER | The Tampa Tribune

Former USF basketball player Dominique Jones ruffled some feathers around campus when his comments following a recent workout with the Washington Wizards made their way into the blogosphere.

When asked by a reporter to assess his chances in the NBA, a confident Jones talked about why he left school and how he sees himself adjusting to the pro game.

"As long as I have a good situation and the opportunity to go out on the court and show what I can be, in the long run, I'm going to be a great player," Jones said. "People are going to look back 10, 15 years from now and be, like, 'How was that Dominique Jones still in the draft?'"

Later in the interview, Jones added: "There's a lot of things that I can do that I wasn't able to show in college, because of the team that I was on and the talent surrounding me."

That's the comment that raised a few eyebrows and got his cell phone ringing Wednesday morning while he was in Chicago preparing for the first day of the NBA draft combine. Jones clarified his statement to make sure his former teammates understand what he meant.

"I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for those guys," he said. "I went to war with those guys, and they went to war with me. I love the program. I had a role at USF, and in the NBA I'll have a different role because of the players around me."

Link

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  771

I think it is obvious jones thinks he is better than what he really is.  Good luck to him.

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

One of the reason why I think the chemistry will be better at least among the guards. Now hopefully Famous and or Gus won't be the new head case(s) on the team. I have never seen success to to somebody's head as fast as it did with Jones after the G'Town win. Yes he helped make last season's team into a winner, but he also hurt the team costing them a shot at a NCAAT berth. I can still see the discuss on Howard's and Mercer's face as Jones started playing for himself instead of the team.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

I don't see why you're all upset by that?

USF basketball has rarely if ever had more than one really good player at a time.

Charlie Bradley had no one else of his caliber to help him, etc.  That's always been one of the major weaknesses with USF BB.  Other teams can key on one guy and make his night a lot harder.

• Content Count:  2,277

USF basketball has rarely if ever had more than one really good player at a time.

Charlie Bradley had no one else of his caliber to help him, etc.  That's always been one of the major weaknesses with USF BB.  Other teams can key on one guy and make his night a lot harder.

You do have a valid point, but......  You don't say something like he did in public, even worse, a press interview.  You don't throw your former teammates under the bus to make yourself look better.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

You do have a valid point, but......  You don't say something like he did in public, even worse, a press interview.  You don't throw your former teammates under the bus to make yourself look better.

I agree, but they aren't his teammates anymore and loyalty is no longer a part of our society.  Just ask Jim Leavitt.  LOL

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,492
  • Days Won:  13

I hope he gets drafted late in the 2nd round. Dosent get big money and blows his kneee out and ends up working at the Lakeland McDonalds. The guy thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread and cares only about himself. Never have I wanted to see a Bull fail, but this Bull deserves to fail.

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Ex-USF star Jones clarifies comment on teammates

By SCOTT CARTER | The Tampa Tribune

Former USF basketball player Dominique Jones ruffled some feathers around campus when his comments following a recent workout with the Washington Wizards made their way into the blogosphere.

When asked by a reporter to assess his chances in the NBA, a confident Jones talked about why he left school and how he sees himself adjusting to the pro game.

"As long as I have a good situation and the opportunity to go out on the court and show what I can be, in the long run, I'm going to be a great player," Jones said. "People are going to look back 10, 15 years from now and be, like, 'How was that Dominique Jones still in the draft?'"

Later in the interview, Jones added: "There's a lot of things that I can do that I wasn't able to show in college, because of the team that I was on and the talent surrounding me."

That's the comment that raised a few eyebrows and got his cell phone ringing Wednesday morning while he was in Chicago preparing for the first day of the NBA draft combine. Jones clarified his statement to make sure his former teammates understand what he meant.

"I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for those guys," he said. "I went to war with those guys, and they went to war with me. I love the program. I had a role at USF, and in the NBA I'll have a different role because of the players around me."

Link

What I find funny is that if you look at the blog where it was originally posted, after the part you have in bold, he went on to say:

"I feel like if I can take guys like that and go beat teams in the top 10, the top 20, then if I get some other pros, I can make some good things happen."

if you're one of his former teammates, how can you not take offense at that?

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2010/5/16/1474293/dominique-jones-and-the-science-of

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,492
  • Days Won:  13

Didnt you know Jones won those games all by himself?

• Content Count:  1,517
  • Days Won:  1

I hope he gets drafted late in the 2nd round. Dosent get big money and blows his kneee out and ends up working at the Lakeland McDonalds. The guy thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread and cares only about himself. Never have I wanted to see a Bull fail, but this Bull deserves to fail.

Agreed. Someone needs to take a pin and deflate his head a little bit.

Archived