• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

More Sanity regarding Conference Expansion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

One of the few writers who actually has tried to make sense of all this expansion talk....Andy Staples.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/05/12/expansion-candidates/index.html

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

is usf an aau member

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

is usf an aau member

Nope

as soon as there is one conference that starts poaching

the floods gets will open and there will be insanity

• Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

college football live just reported that boise state will more than likely get an invite to the mwc next month.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

college football live just reported that boise state will more than likely get an invite to the mwc next month.

They deserve to be in a better league and if they went to the MWC, then the MWC should get an auto BCS bid.

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

is usf an aau member

Nope

Well, not yet. President Genshaft has made it her mission to get USF included into the AAU. I believe various monetary components of USF's current fundraising campaign, "USF: Unstoppable," go toward infrastructure upgrades that could facilitate our inclusion into the AAU. USF is taking steps toward that goal, but any realistic shot at AAU inclusion is probably a few years off.

Donate, donate, donate.  ;D

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

is usf an aau member

Nope

Well, not yet. President Genshaft has made it her mission to get USF included into the AAU. I believe various monetary components of USF's current fundraising campaign, "USF: Unstoppable," go toward infrastructure upgrades that could facilitate our inclusion into the AAU. USF is taking steps toward that goal, but any realistic shot at AAU inclusion is probably a few years off.

Correct.

The Unstopp-A-Bull campaign was launched to generate even more research funding.  It provides

- Faculty research grants

- PHD program support, and increasing the enrollment of PHD students

Both of which are needed by the AAU

The AAU mission is the reason they implemented the new rule that Freshmen (except those that live in the county) must live in the campus dorms.  This is to meet the residency requirement.

It was also a strong factor of finally getting the Music building constructed (after 30 years of planning.)  AAU members must show strong support for the Arts:

- Music will now have a dedicated state of the art building.

- Visual Arts will not have a dedicated building as well (now that they will occupy all 3 wings of FAH) and can remodel it to meet their specific needs.  With more space, they may be able to offer more PHD programs as well.

- Graphic Studio is also in the process of planning a new building for themselves as well. 

They deserve to be in a better league and if they went to the MWC, then the MWC should get an auto BCS bid.

no more automatice bids

if big boys go to superconferences that isnt good for those left out

• Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

USF is a tier 3 school in national rankings.  There is no way a tier 3 will ever be admitted to the AAU.  Any chance of USF getting into the AAU is realisitcally decades off, not a few years, if at all.  I am not knocking USF's academics, as a WVU grad, we are in the same position. 

USF is not a nationally known brand-name type of prestigious school (barely 50 years old), and there are literally dozens of name-brand schools that are not AAU members that would get consideration before USF.  Speaking of USF as if it is just a few years away from AAU membership makes about as much sense as discussing USF being admitted to the Ivy League in a few years.

The AAU is a self-formed, private entity - admission is by invitation only.  And these snob schools are not going to give USF any serious thought or consideration.

Archived