• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Todays TBT -- why being a Rays fan is hard

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

I know this is a recurring topic, but you see..that's just the point.

I'm actively trying to be a dedicated Rays fan this year. Following the team, attending games, buying gear, talking the team up at the office, inviting others to games, etc. But every time I read a news article or a message board post, it's always about how sorry Tampa Bay fans are and how the team is threatening to move away from the area if we sorry fans dont show that we appreciate what we have. It makes me wonder why I'm making the investment.

What I'm getting at is that the Rays leadership and the local media are not only doing nothing to attract new fans...they are undermining the support of the fans they DO have. No one wants to buy tickets to a sinking ship, even if it is the biggest, shiniest ship in the harbor.

The streaming negativity about attendance, ballpark, location, etc is tiresome. Maybe the leadership should try a new tactic: Reaffirm the Rays committment to the Tampa Bay area in an effort to galvanize the loyalty of the local fanbase. I don't know if it would work, but its **** sure got to be better than threatening us all the time.

Oh, and I meant to say...the reason I mention TBT is because like 2 of the 3 main articles about the Rays are about attendance woes and threats to move the team out of Tampa Bay.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,489
  • Days Won:  13

please move them. Then I will get all the marlins games on TV in April and wont have to suffer through the NBA Playoffs on FSN

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Griggsy,

that what teams fees the media when they want a new ballpark. Check ANY city before they get a new sports venue the media directors harp and harp and harp on it.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

What I'm getting at is that the Rays leadership and the local media are not only doing nothing to attract new fans...they are undermining the support of the fans they DO have. No one wants to buy tickets to a sinking ship, even if it is the biggest, shiniest ship in the harbor.

The streaming negativity about attendance, ballpark, location, etc is tiresome. Maybe the leadership should try a new tactic: Reaffirm the Rays committment to the Tampa Bay area in an effort to galvanize the loyalty of the local fanbase. I don't know if it would work, but its **** sure got to be better than threatening us all the time.

Not buying this at all .... What is the Rays leadership doing to attract new fans?? How about fielding one of the most exciting teams in baseball .... people get too wound up in all the media's melodrama and hand wringing and can't separate it from the organization. I couldn't locate all three of those articles but did find one and here's a comment from Rays' leasdership:

City council member Leslie Curran put the question to a test at a recent public meeting. Spotting Rays vice president Michael Kalt in the audience, Curran invited him to the podium and asked him: “Do you want to stay in St. Petersburg?â€

“I don’t think that’s a question we are prepared to answer at the mo­ment,†Kalt said. “We want stay in the Tampa Bay area. We haven’t ruled out any locations.â€

Not sure how much plainer he can put it. Maybe I missed the articles where they are threatening us all the time. If you don't want to buy into the team ... fine ... Just don't blame the Rays organization. I'm not sure what more they could do to get people out to the ballpark ....

As far as the media goes, it's not their job to attract new fans. It's their job to report on the games and to be as controversial as possible to attract readers...

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

They're also having the concert series.  They are trying to get fans out.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

They're also having the concert series.  They are trying to get fans out.

I was amazed they didn't get closer to a sellout for Fogerty... Will be interesting to see how many for ZZ Top .... and I have no freaking clue who "Train" is, who'll be there for USF night.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

i got that email about ZZ top, cant believe those guys are still around. 

that might actually deter me from going to that game

• Content Count:  12,463
  • Days Won:  25

I think most concert dates last year were either sold out or pretty darn close. So this year they raised the price on THAT ticket and lost about 10,000 sales, concessions and parking. Took away the free parking for four or more in a car.

Do some math.

Not buying this at all .... What is the Rays leadership doing to attract new fans?? How about fielding one of the most exciting teams in baseball .... people get too wound up in all the media's melodrama and hand wringing and can't separate it from the organization. I couldn't locate all three of those articles but did find one and here's a comment from Rays' leasdership:

City council member Leslie Curran put the question to a test at a recent public meeting. Spotting Rays vice president Michael Kalt in the audience, Curran invited him to the podium and asked him: “Do you want to stay in St. Petersburg?â€

“I don’t think that’s a question we are prepared to answer at the mo­ment,†Kalt said. “We want stay in the Tampa Bay area. We haven’t ruled out any locations.â€

Not sure how much plainer he can put it. Maybe I missed the articles where they are threatening us all the time. If you don't want to buy into the team ... fine ... Just don't blame the Rays organization. I'm not sure what more they could do to get people out to the ballpark ....

As far as the media goes, it's not their job to attract new fans. It's their job to report on the games and to be as controversial as possible to attract readers...

Sternberg: "One way or another, if people care about baseball, collectively the region will figure something out. If they don't care about baseball, it will work itself out in a different way".

If that ain't a threat, I don't know what is.

You're correct that it's not the media's job to make the Rays succeed, but the organization is certainly not doing much to address the swirling rumors and speculation that the team may leave. I tend to think that's a result of design and not lack of marketing prowess.

And I DO want to buy into the team.  They are winning, and I'd love to raise my kids taking them to games.  Just wish I didnt have to worry that they won't be around in 5-10 years (or that they'll be mired in perpetual mediocrity due to a business decision not to invest more in salary than they have to...which is what they're threatening to do)

Archived