• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Todays TBT -- why being a Rays fan is hard

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

What I'm getting at is that the Rays leadership and the local media are not only doing nothing to attract new fans...they are undermining the support of the fans they DO have. No one wants to buy tickets to a sinking ship, even if it is the biggest, shiniest ship in the harbor.

The streaming negativity about attendance, ballpark, location, etc is tiresome. Maybe the leadership should try a new tactic: Reaffirm the Rays committment to the Tampa Bay area in an effort to galvanize the loyalty of the local fanbase. I don't know if it would work, but its **** sure got to be better than threatening us all the time.

Not buying this at all .... What is the Rays leadership doing to attract new fans?? How about fielding one of the most exciting teams in baseball .... people get too wound up in all the media's melodrama and hand wringing and can't separate it from the organization. I couldn't locate all three of those articles but did find one and here's a comment from Rays' leasdership:

City council member Leslie Curran put the question to a test at a recent public meeting. Spotting Rays vice president Michael Kalt in the audience, Curran invited him to the podium and asked him: “Do you want to stay in St. Petersburg?â€

“I don’t think that’s a question we are prepared to answer at the mo­ment,†Kalt said. “We want stay in the Tampa Bay area. We haven’t ruled out any locations.â€

Not sure how much plainer he can put it. Maybe I missed the articles where they are threatening us all the time. If you don't want to buy into the team ... fine ... Just don't blame the Rays organization. I'm not sure what more they could do to get people out to the ballpark ....

As far as the media goes, it's not their job to attract new fans. It's their job to report on the games and to be as controversial as possible to attract readers...

Sternberg: "One way or another, if people care about baseball, collectively the region will figure something out. If they don't care about baseball, it will work itself out in a different way".

If that ain't a threat, I don't know what is.

Yes, that could be perceived as a threat .... but you said they were threatening us all the time and I just don't see that ... Plus, can you really blame him for saying what he said? If enough people, and the right people, here cate about baseball it WILL work itself out. If not, sayonara....

You're correct that it's not the media's job to make the Rays succeed, but the organization is certainly not doing much to address the swirling rumors and speculation that the team may leave. I tend to think that's a result of design and not lack of marketing prowess.

Maybe it is by design but I've got no problem with them not jumping every time one of the local columnists writes yet another of their rabble rousing, fear mongering columns about attendance anc relocating ...

And I DO want to buy into the team.  They are winning, and I'd love to raise my kids taking them to games.  Just wish I didnt have to worry that

Honestly, I'm not sure what's stopping you if you really mean that. Enjoy them, with your kids, while the Rays are here. There's nothing better than a day/night at the ballpark with the family ... and if they do leave, at least your kids will have a team to root for wherever they go. The Internet has made it so much easier to follow out of area teams these days ... Just my .02.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

This ownership group has brought the Bay area a winner for 3 years and are not being rewarded.

• Content Count:  1,390
  • Days Won:  0

This ownership group has brought the Bay area a winner for 3 years and are not being rewarded.

I've been a Rays fan since Dewon Brazelton was our next big thing, and I have to say that last years team was mediocre. You can not call a team 10+ games out of the wildcard a winner. Still though, the fans need to step it up. I know I do my part by going to games when I can. I'd be at twice as many if they played in Tampa though.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I guess it is how you look at it. 84 and 78 is very competitive.

All I'm saying is the owners have tried everything short of giving away tix to get people in the building. Why they can't get people in the trop is a polarizing issue.

Archived