• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Pro Day Itinerary Today

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Cape Coral grad Allen opts out of running 40-yard dash during NFL Draft workout

By DAVID DORSEY • ddorsey@news-press.com • March 30, 2010  5:27 P.M.

TAMPA — Nate Allen, a 2006 Cape Coral High School graduate and a top prospect in this year’s NFL Draft, decided against running the 40-yard dash today at the University of South Florida’s pro day.

More than 30 NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel were on hand watching 17 pro prospects from USF do a series of drills.

Allen felt pain in his left quadriceps muscle, the same muscle that prevented him from running at the NFL Combine earlier this month.

“It bothered me. I figured don’t run and be able to run in a couple of weeks rather than blow it out right now and not be able to run,†Allen said. “Hopefully I can get another thing like this out here where I can run the 40. I’ll do it wherever. Wherever they can get the numbers.â€

Allen did participate in some of the shuttle run drills. He also talked to several of the dozens of scouts in attendance and to Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith.

Check back with Wednesday’s editions of The News-Press and news-press.com for more details on Allen’s day.

http://www.news-press.com/article/20100330/HSS05/100330073/1075/Cape-Coral-grad-Allen-opts-out-of-running-40-yard-dash-during-NFL-Draft-workout

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Smart move by Nate. Don't blow out a quad.

USF Pro Day Results 

Courtesy: USF

Release: 03/30/2010

NFL Teams In Attendance

San Francisco 49ers

Chicago Bears

Cincinnati Bengals

Buffalo Bills

Denver Broncos

Cleveland Browns

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Arizona Cardinals

San Diego Chargers

Kansas City Chiefs

Miami Dolphins

Philadelphia Eagles

Atlanta Falcons

New York Giants

Jacksonville Jaguars

New York Jets

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Carolina Panthers

Oakland Raiders

Baltimore Ravens

New Orleans Saints

Seattle Seahawks

Pittsburgh Steelers

Tennessee Titans

Minnesota Vikings

TAMPA -- With the most anticipated pro day in University of South Florida football history taking place today at the USF Soccer Stadium, 16 former Bulls, including five being projected as possible first or second day draft picks in the upcoming National Football League Draft in New York on April 22-24, took part in the event looking to impress 27 teams and the more than 45 NFL executives, coaches and scouts that are looking to bolster their rosters for the 2010 season.

A majority of the focus during pro day was centered on seven players: DE Jason Pierre Paul – a consensus top 15 pick who is rated as the fourth best player in the draft ESPN’s Mel Kiper, DE George Selvie, QB Matt Grothe, WR Carlton Mitchell, CB Jerome Murphy, LB Kion Wilson, and S Nate Allen.

With most of the attention being placed on Pierre-Paul and Selvie during the individual position drills, Pierre-Paul didn’t seem to be fazed by being in the spotlight most of the afternoon, even under the watchful eye of his agent Drew Rosenhaus. 

“I just came out here and did what I had to do,†said Pierre-Paul. “I went through defensive line drills and linebacker drills. I just came out here and did what I needed to do. It wasn’t a struggle for me; I just had to do what I usually do on the field. I came out here and played football.â€

It may, however, been Mitchell and Murphy who made the most significant improvement as each increased their 40-yard times from then they ran it last at the NFL Combine.

Mitchell improved by almost a tenth of a second to a 4.40, while Murphy increased his time to 4.51.

“I hope I improved my standing,†said Mitchell. “But you never know. They can say that this guy should be drafted in the first round and they go in the fifth, and guys should be drafted in the second and not get drafted at all. I’m just prepared for anything. I just think that today was a very positive day.â€

“I think that I helped myself today, but I think my biggest jump was after the Senior Bowl,†said Murphy. “I think I worked extremely hard there and showed them that I could cover man-to-man with anybody and they (scouts and coaches) really liked that about me.â€

Allen, rated by Kiper as the 47th best player overall in this year’s draft, and the fourth best safety, attended the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, however did not participate due to a pulled quad in his right leg.

“I think today went well,†said Allen. “The quad started bothering me, but I decided to just grind through the feeling of it and was able to get the position work in, so that was the main thing. I was disappointed that I wasn’t able to run the 40 (yard dash) – because it is so important - but hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will be able to get back out here and get that done. It was an amazing day though. Just being able to get out here and perform for all the coaches and scouts and being able to show them what you can do to get a shot.â€

Wilson also had a solid outing during the afternoon and improved his 40-yard dash time.

“I feel that I did well,†said Wilson. “I improved my 40 (yard dash) time a little bit, and I'm proud of my short shuttle and long shuttle times as well. I’m just glad I came out and had a great day.â€

Included among the coaches that attended were head coaches: Lovie Smith (Chicago Bears), Tom Coughlin (New York Giants) and Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati Bengals).

Also taking part in pro day today were: P Delbert Alvarado, WR Dexter Baldwin, TE Ben Busbee, DL Aaron Harris, WR Jessie Hester, CB Cameron Perkins, LB Chris Robinson, WR Theo Wilson.

Other is attendance at USF Football Pro Day:

Media

Ft. Myers News Press

Ft. Myers TV

USF Nation

Tampa Tribune

Bright House Sports Network

WBUL

News Channel 8 (NBC)

St. Petersburg Times

Justin Pawlowski - 620 AM WDAE

Tom Zebold - Lakeland Ledger

Rick Brown - Lakeland Ledger

USF Oracle

Fox 13

Chris Harry - Orlando Sentinel

American Football Magazine

Tampa Tribune – Anwar Richardson

Jim Flynn – Pewter Report

Pat Yasinskas – ESPN.com

10 Connects (CBS)

CFL Teams In Attendance

Hamilton Tiger Cats

NFL Teams Not In Attendance

Dallas Cowboys

Washington Redskins

New England Patriots

Houston Texans

St. Louis Rams

Indianapolis Colts

USF Pro Day Results

Weight Broad Vertical Bench 40 3-Cone Shuttle 20 Shuttle 60

Nate Allen 205 9-6 34.5 -- -- 6.46 4.22 11.41

Delbert Alvarado 200 8-11 30 -- 4.69 -- 4.27 --

Dexter Baldwin 213 9-4 31.5 12 4.69 7.14 4.29 --

Ben Busbee 244 9-1 32.5 13 4.91 7.33 4.49 12.06

Matt Grothe 207 9-0 32 -- 4.84 7.19 4.32 11.69

Aaron Harris 268 9.7 34 16 4.96 7.24 4.47 --

Jessie Hester 182 8-5 -- -- 4.72 7.18 4.52 --

Carlton Mitchell 212 -- -- -- 4.40 -- 4.39 --

Jerome Murphy 195 -- -- -- 4.51 -- -- --

Cameron Perkins 179 9-9 31.5 16 4.54 7.37 4.44 11.52

Jason Pierre-Paul 266 9-9 31.5 -- -- -- -- --

Chris Robinson 230 9-7 29 -- 4.71 7.45 4.38 12.17

George Selvie 253 -- -- -- 4.88 -- -- --

Kion Wilson 235 -- -- -- 4.84 7.47 4.41 12.04

Theo Wilson 205 9-4 29.5 15 4.66 6.96 4.45 --

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=204919249

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

BUCS CENTRAL

Bucs In Attendance At USF Pro Day

By: Jim Flynn

March 30, 2010 @ 6:00pm

The Bucs attended USF's pro day to watch several prospects, including Bulls DE Georgie Selvie (Getty Images)[not shown here]

The Bucs attended South Florida's pro day workout on Tuesday. The Bucs were represented by pro scout Doug Williams, special teams coordinator Richard Bisaccia and an unidentified scout. At least two USF players are scheduled to have private workouts with the Bucs next month. [Grothe and Allen]

The University of South Florida held its pro day workout on Tuesday, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had a presence on the college campus, which is just a few miles down the road from One Buccaneer Place.

The Bucs were represented by pro scout Doug Williams, special teams coordinator Richard Bisaccia and an unidentified scout. Neither Bucs head coach Raheem Morris nor general manager Mark Dominik were in attendance, but it's worth noting that USF's pro day workout competed against others, including ones held by UCLA, where defensive tackle Brian Price worked out, and former Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant, who worked out in Texas.

Like the other NFL teams on hand, the Buccaneers had their eyes on several of USF's pro prospects entering the 2010 NFL Draft, including Bulls defensive ends Jason Pierre-Paul and George Selvie, safety Nate Allen, cornerback Jereome Murphy, wide receiver Carlton Mitchell and quarterback Matt Grothe.

None of USF's pro day workout times (including 40-yard dash) were immediately available.

Pierre-Paul is the player most NFL scouts, front office executives and coaches, including New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin and Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith, came out to see. He showcased his athleticism at the combine by running a 4.64 time in the 40-yard dash. The former JUCCO transfer opened some eyes in 2009 by notching 6.5 sacks and raising havoc in opposing teams' offensive backfields in his debut with the Bulls.

The 6-foot-5, 270-pound Pierre-Paul is projected to be a first-round pick and could be the highest draft pick that ever came out of USF. Some have even linked him to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who have a need for a pass-rushing defensive end and own the number three overall pick in the draft.

Pierre-Paul's partner in crime, Selvie, had a much more productive collegiate career, notching 27 sacks, including 14 as a sophomore. However, Selvie (6-3, 252) is considered undersized and might not be targeted by many teams that run the 4-3 defense. Selvie is also not entering the draft with much momentum. He notched just three sacks in 2009 and hasn't impressed this offseason. At the combine, Selvie ran a 4.89 time in the 40-yard dash. Still, Selvie is a player the Bucs could target if he falls in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Behind Pierre-Paul, Allen is considered the next best Bulls player, and like both USF defensive ends, Allen could be on Tampa Bay's radar. Allen (6-0, 207) had 10 interceptions and one touchdown at USF, including four as a senior. He didn't run at the combine, but Allen still is projected to be a second-round pick in April. Allen's chances of landing with Tampa Bay slipped substantially when the team signed Philadelphia S Sean Jones in free agency.

But Allen, who has been unable to run the 40-yard dash this offseason while he recovers from an injury, is one of several Bulls players that has a private workout scheduled with Tampa Bay at One Buc Place next month.

"I'm scheduled to visit with Dallas and Kansas City. I'm not exactly sure when, but I do have a private workout scheduled with Tampa Bay," said Allen, who has been working out in Arizona. "I talked with Coach Morris and the Bucs at the Senior Bowl. I would love to play anywhere, but staying in Tampa to play in the NFL would be really special."

The Bucs still have needs at cornerback and wide receiver, which make Murphy and Mitchell players that Tampa Bay could seriously consider drafting in April.

Murphy (6-0, 196) had eight interceptions at USF, including four as a senior. He ran a 4.52 time in the 40-yard dash at the combine.

Mitchell (6-3, 215) really helped his draft stock with an impressive workout at the combine in Indianapolis. He ran a 4.49 in the 40-yard dash, which was a very good time for a big receiver. The early-entry junior finished his collegiate career with 105 receptions for 1,648 yards (15.6 avg.) and nine touchdowns.

"It's been a long process, starting with training for the combine all the way to this point," said Mitchell. "My day is planned out each day except for Sunday. That's my day to relax and be free. It's pretty exciting. I'm drained and tired all the time, but at the same time this is what I see myself doing. This is who I am and my life.

"I learned at a very young age that the NFL is a business and they don't need me, so any opportunity I get I'm going to take it and run with it."

One player that some were surprised to see participate in USF’s pro day workout was Grothe, who suffered a season-ending ACL tear in late-September.

The 6-foot, 205-pound Grothe sported a knee brace, but participated in all the workouts. In addition to running the 40-yard dash, Grothe put his arm on display by handling all of the passing.

Grothe, 23, completed 62.5 percent of his passes for 8,669 yards and tossed 52 touchdowns and 44 interceptions in four years with the Bulls. USF utilized his mobility by having him carry the ball 545 times for 2,206 yards and 23 touchdowns.

The Bucs are ready to take a closer look at the Lakeland native. Grothe revealed Tuesday that he’s scheduled to have a private workout with Tampa Bay next week. 

“I’ve gone from thinking I might not even be able to walk right again to running,†Grothe said of his rehab from the knee injury. “I’ve come a long way in a short amount of time. I’m proud of myself and I’m just going to keep working.

“I’m just going to keep working out, and I’ve got a workout next Thursday with Tampa Bay. We’ll go from there.â€

Because the USF campus is just a few miles away from Tampa Bay's training facility, the Buccaneers can invite Bulls players to One Buc Place for private workouts between now and the draft without having them count against the 30 collegiate player private workouts each team is allowed to host each year.

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/6867

March 30, 2010

Pro Day notes: Mitchell continues rise with 4.40

TAMPA -- On a day when two of USF's best NFL draft prospects didn't run -- defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul didn't need to, and safety Nate Allen had a nagging quad injury -- receiver Carlton Mitchell continued to improve his draft stock, running the 40-yard dash in 4.40 seconds, according to USF's results.

"I had a great time. I'm very fortunate to be here," said Mitchell, who checked in a 6-foot-3 and 213 pounds and improved on an official time of 4.49 seconds at the NFL Combine four weeks ago.

Mitchell, a junior from Gaither, has been diligent in training since making the decision to skip his senior year after becoming USF's career leader in receiving yards in three seasons. He's in a position to be taken on the draft's second day, which would be the second or third round.

"There's a lot of good talk -- they like my size and my speed, my ability, my character," Mitchell said. "At the same time, they want to see me pluck the ball better, keep it away from my body, sink my weight and create separation."

STRONG TURNOUT:  There were more than 50 representatives from 26 NFL teams at USF's soccer stadium, including three head coaches -- the Giants' Tom Coughlin, the Bengals' Marvin Lewis and the Bears' Lovie Smith.

Pierre-Paul, projected as a mid-first-round pick despite playing only one season of major college football, should be the first Bulls player taken, potentially as the highest ever from USF, and in all, six or more Bulls are expected to be drafted.

Pierre-Paul ran well enough at the NFL combine that he didn't run Tuesday, but looked solid in extensive position drills with former All-American George Selvie.

"It went pretty well -- a great experience," said Pierre-Paul, one of three Bulls represented by agent Drew Rosenhaus. "It's competition -- you come out here and do your best, and hopefully they like it."

BACK SCRAMBLING: Six months after his college career ended with a knee injury in September, quarterback Matt Grothe ran through all the drills, running a 4.84 in the 40. That time would have ranked sixth among the 15 quarterbacks timed at the NFL combine workouts last month.

"I've come a long way in a short time, and I'm proud of myself," said Grothe, who has a workout scheduled with the Bucs on April 8. "I feel real good. I don't know exactly what my times were, but I heard rumors that it was pretty good for where I'm at right now. I thought I threw the ball exceptionally well."

TRAINING AGAIN: Former USF walk-on Nick Schuyler, who has made national news as the lone survivor of a boating accident that claimed the lives of three others last spring, was in attendance as well, having worked as the personal trainer for USF defensive lineman Aaron Harris and tight end Ben Busbee.

"Nick is awesome. I've never been around somebody who motivated me so much," said Harris, who has added 20 pounds since the end of last season. "His whole attitude about life -- obviously he's been through a lot. He's as tough as a box of nails."

Schuyler, who is training out of a gym in north Tampa, said he's had informal discussions about making a movie from his book "Not Without Hope."

THIS AND THAT: Fifteen Bulls from last year's team worked out, along with seven former Bulls from previous seasons, including defensive end Jarriett Buie, who was cut in preseason by the Bucs last year. ... Allen, who did not run at the NFL combine due to his quad injury, has private workouts set up with the Cowboys and Chiefs in the next two days. He hopes to run the 40 before the draft, and had a 34.5-inch vertical Tuesday, best among the Bulls. ... Cornerback Jerome Murphy, also projected to go in the first three rounds, was timed at 4.51 seconds, a slight improvement on his time at the combine.

Posted by Greg Auman at 05:58:50 PM on March 30, 2010 in Draft , Football | Permalink | Comments (2)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/03/pro-day-notes-mitchell-continues-rise-with-440.html#comments

USF WR Mitchell looks to be rising fast

March, 30, 2010 Mar 30 5:40PM ET

By Pat YasinskasTAMPA, Fla. -- Generally, I leave draft evaluations up to guys like our Mel Kiper and Todd McShay because that’s what they do. But I’ll break with the norm here because I’m pretty sure I just saw something significant.

I think I just saw University of South Florida receiver Carlton Mitchell's stock take a pretty strong leap. Mitchell, who is leaving college with a year of eligibility remaining, seemingly has been on the rise since a solid showing at the scouting combine in February. Before the combine, Mitchell had been viewed as a late-round pick.

Lately, there have been some rumblings about him going as early as the third round and even some whispers that he could jump to the second round with a good workout on his pro day. Well, Mitchell just finished his pro day and I’m pretty sure his stock didn’t tumble.

According to several people I know who were holding stopwatches when Mitchell ran his 40-yard dash, his times were very consistent with what he ran at the combine. My sources had Mitchell running anywhere from 4.40 seconds to 4.42 seconds on his first run. They had him anywhere from 4.47 to 4.52 seconds on his second try.

Those are pretty good numbers on the same day Dez Bryant was not putting up great numbers at his workout in Texas. Mitchell also caught the ball very well and at 6-foot-2 and 213 pounds, he’s got the kind of size NFL teams are looking for.

Maybe even some NFC South teams. All four teams had at least one representative there. The Bucs obviously are familiar with Mitchell and they desperately need help at wide receiver. Can’t say the highest brass in Tampa Bay was at this workout because Raheem Morris and Mark Domink were not there. But they easily could do a private workout with Mitchell if they want.

I think Mitchell could be a potential target for the Bucs. But I think Carolina is another potential landing spot for Mitchell. The Panthers obviously need a replacement for Muhsin Muhammad. I always emphasize not paying too much attention to who attends a certain workout or what players teams interview. However, I’ll just throw it out there that Carolina receivers coach Tyke Tolbert was there to watch Mitchell’s workout.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/9225/usf-wr-mitchell-looks-to-be-rising-fast

• Content Count:  140
  • Days Won:  0

I overheard some of the scouts today that were in the weight room during the work outs and some of the players including Mitchell did more reps than they posted but they didnt count because either they didnt keep their back totally flat or didnt do it exactly how they were supposed to. I heard as many as 7 reps didnt count for one player. This goes back to what they do in the weight room daily.

• Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Its no surprise we're putting low numbers on the bench. Leavitt's staff was all about speed speed and more speed.

• Content Count:  98
  • Days Won:  0

bump

Allen did 16 at the combine, which is a decent number.  A lot of times a player, for example, will do 20 reps but scouts do not count all of them for reasons such as the butt coming off of the bench or not locking out the weight at the top.  So the official number of reps is only recorded as 13, and that is all the general public sees.

USF has had some very solid bench press numbers from every year.  Nicholas 28, Mckenzie 29, Davis 36, Jenkins 18, Clebert 43, Tim Jones 35.  Last years pro day had 5 guys at 28 reps or better (Buie, Schmidt, Huners, Griffin, Mckenzie), pretty impressive.  Look at our numbers compared to other pro day numbers, the bench presses are for the most part, very good.

Archived