• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Add UCiF, or disband Big East?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

If it was the only way to save BCS bid, I would say bring them in.  Other than than, bring someone else in.

If the BE loses one team, there are better candidates, imo.  TCU, Navy, ECU, and possibly Memphis.

If the BE loses 3 teams, I would not be for bringing in UCF, but I would be OK with it I guess, since there wouldn't be too many other choices.

Bottom line: If we only lose one team, don't bring in UCF.  Bring in TCU or ECU with navy and Memphis as backups.

If we lose 3 teams, would rather bring in the trio of TCU, ECU, and Memphis or Navy, but I could live with UCF at that point, since it might be necessary to survive.

• Content Count:  639
  • Days Won:  0

;D

didn't want to start a new topic to ask this but do any of you know what time is kickoff for your game against the Gators on September 11th might be? might join a few bulls for this just for an excuse to experience another gameday weekend in Gainesville ...hopefully it's 6pm or later

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

This is sad that this is even a question. So many try to say that UCF is not a rival. I really don't view them as such yet there is all this hatred for them. I don't hate UCF. It is another Public University in the state of Florida. Does it benefit USF sports if UCF does poorly, sure I guess, but really I don't care about them and I am really surprised that so many here give them any thought.

UCF is a by product of the Orlando market. Orlando's close proximity to Tampa is typically a good thing. You can go to Orlando for Disney, theme parks, restaurants, you come over to the coast for the beaches & Busch Gardens. If UCF did not exist where would all of those students go? USF nor UF could handle all of them. For our sakes, I hope UCF stays where they are but if they improve in sports or other areas, like getting a medical school, well good for them.

• Content Count:  24

If it was the only way to save BCS bid, I would say bring them in.  Other than than, bring someone else in.

If the BE loses one team, there are better candidates, imo.  TCU, Navy, ECU, and possibly Memphis.

If the BE loses 3 teams, I would not be for bringing in UCF, but I would be OK with it I guess, since there wouldn't be too many other choices.

Bottom line: If we only lose one team, don't bring in UCF.  Bring in TCU or ECU with navy and Memphis as backups.

If we lose 3 teams, would rather bring in the trio of TCU, ECU, and Memphis or Navy, but I could live with UCF at that point, since it might be necessary to survive.

If you lose 2 or 3 teams the big east conference as a BCS football conference will fold (IMO) ...You guys will have to hope to be picked up by the ACC and UCF is up S#!Ts creek as far as BCS...

IMO any situation where any conferences go to 14 football playing members is very very bad for UCF...We will not get into the ACC we in no way would be looked at for the SEC...I could see USF in the ACC though if they went to 14

• Content Count:  2,994

TCU, Temple, Navy, Tulane, ECU, Memphis, Houston, Southern Miss, Army... and even teams like Central Michigan, Akron, and Troy

Temple - no. Philly TV market is shared with Villanova, and partly Rutgers and Penn State too. Besides the football team having one good year out of 30, the rest is A-10 quality...basketball might do OK in the BE. Potential Philly bowl site.

Navy and Army - not a whole lot to offer unless taken as a package and can broadcast the Army-Navy games and their rivalry with ND (if ND sticks around in some form). National type of audience...to a point. No bowl tie ins.

CMU, Akron, Tulane - not a whole lot to offer. No real TV markets with these. CMU is in BFE, Michigan. Ohio is dominated by OSU. Tulane is in the shadow of LSU. Only bowl sites could be Superdome (which already has Sugar Bowl and R+L Carriers Bowl), or maybe a Detroit Bowl. bleh to that.

ECU - unless football maintains success, and a half-ass NC TV market in the shadow of 4 ACC teams, they have little to offer. Already have Meineke Bowl on lock.

Southern Mississippi - TV market? no. Athletics is ehhhh. Not good enough. No bowl sites.

TCU - if the BE were to disregard geography...then maybe. Christian school...and only 8,800 enrollment...but is part Catholic and Methodist...BE bball schools should be ok with it, minus the long travel. Dallas-FTW TV market is pretty solid though. Potential bowl sites, could play at JerryWorld.

Houston - same argument as TCU, but at least enrollment is larger. Houston TV market is on par with Dallas-FTW. Has experience in a bigger conference from it's Southwest Conference days playing the TX and OK schools. Athletics is solid. More potential bowl tie-ins.

Memphis - probably a logical choice if we didn't do UCF. Geographically better fit for UC, UL, and USF, not as far from other NE schools. If football takes off, would be nice. Basketball is a great addition. Possible bowl site. TV market not as big, but still Top 50.

Troy - athletically would have to greatly improve, not a bad location. TV market is small. Would almost consider UAB before Troy though. Longshot.

And while I'm at it:

UCF - TV market is probably 4th best on this behind Houston, Dallas, and Philly. Academics is solid, huge research school. Athletics could definitely improve but facilities are newer and quality. Enrollment is huge. Fanbase is huge. Geographically good...I don't think recruiting would affect USF too much, maybe have some better recruit battles between each other.

UCF only competes with the Orlando Magic for pro teams. Out of the other 3 good candidates (TCU, Houston, and Memphis), they have the least to contend with. Houston has baseball and basketball and football. Dallas has all that plus hockey. Memphis has hockey and basketball.

My thought is that some people here have too much unwarranted hate for UCF...unwarranted hate for them from not doing all that much (besides having some crazy fans) are the seeds of rivalry. UCF has the most potential out of this.

Unless we go get TCU or Houston (before the Big 12 does).

Id rather get UCF than disband. USF may be too big to be left out, but if there's no room at the inn, where DO we end up?

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

If they do add c-usa teams. Kiss the BCS membership goodbye. The BE is none as a weak football conference. It's like using tape to mend two metal pieces together. Instead of using a weld. The BE has been disrespected for years since the Bulls, Louisville, and Cincy joined. How much respect do you see the BE would get as c-usa II THE SEQUEL?

Which is why the Big East needs to:

(1). Split the Football and Basketball schools apart with Football keeping the name and BCS spot.

(2). Divide the remaining teams into Big East North and South.

(3). Add Army, Navy, and TCU to add immediate prestige.

(4). Add Tulane, Memphis, and a few others as fillers that have potential to improve under the reigns of the BCS and a can bring a  bonus to the table...

For example Memphis has the Liberty Bowl rights which they sign over to the Big East as terms for admission and Tulane, well Tulane would make for a killer road trip to the big easy every other year  :drinkup

Of course the Big East is too stupid to ever do this because we are under the heal of a bunch of basketball schools.

To answer the question of this thread... I would add UCiF rather then see the BEast go away...

• Content Count:  1,400

If they do add c-usa teams. Kiss the BCS membership goodbye. The BE is none as a weak football conference. It's like using tape to mend two metal pieces together. Instead of using a weld. The BE has been disrespected for years since the Bulls, Louisville, and Cincy joined. How much respect do you see the BE would get as c-usa II THE SEQUEL?

(1). Split the Football and Basketball schools apart with Football keeping the name and BCS spot.

(4). Add Tulane, Memphis, and a few others as fillers that have potential to improve under the reigns of the BCS and a can bring a  bonus to the table...

For example Memphis has the Liberty Bowl rights which they sign over to the Big East as terms for admission and Tulane, well Tulane would make for a killer road trip to the big easy every other year  :drinkup

Of course the Big East is too stupid to ever do this because we are under the heal of a bunch of basketball schools.

To answer the question of this thread... I would add UCiF rather then see the BEast go away...

I would hate to lose the rest of the big east basketball only schools its the best basketball league by far and very fun to watch.

1. Current BE commish is from Providence. Providence and the other Catholic bball schools will not give up the BE name. If they do, everyone else is high and dry.

2. The possibility of splitting puts teams like WVU, Pitt, Syracuse, and UConn on the fence. Do they leave their basketball brethren? If all 4 of them left and stayed together, especially if they can take Louisville and Cincinnati with them...it might be feasible since they would still have a strong nucleus of football and basketball.

3. If the 8 football teams broke off, and ND left. They'd have 7 teams left (MQ, DP, GTown, SH, St.J, Villy, & Prov), 4-5 of which are pretty strong every year. They couldn't poach Temple unless Villy was cool with the whole getup, and perhaps they add some teams like Rhode Island, UMass, Northeastern, and maybe poach a team like Butler from Indiana to replace the void that ND leaves between the 2 midwest teams. That could give the Big East 12 teams, and they can go their own way.

4. Set up a "classic" tournament against the BE and the former BE football schools, so that SU/WVU/Pitt/UC/UL can still face the BE schools as OOC games in the early season.

5. Assuming Notre Dame goes to the Big 10 because they're greedy little jerks, we get to keep Rutgers (nonchalant 'woo' and 'yay'). Come up with a new name and start our own stuff. We get to keep all of the football bowls obviously, and we'll just have to find a new site for the basketball tourney...which, until money is raised, can just be played at a host member school each year, or have the first round played at the home of the team with the better record. Bam, that's taken care of.

6. Then the 8 football schools just have to figure out the never ending question of who to add to this new conference, and being that the 8 football schools can travel alot easier with larger budgets and all the schools are fairly large, we can disregard geography of the "Big East" and go after TCU, Houston, Memphis, and UCF. Adding those schools are the biggest and best TV markets, bowl tie-in locations, fanbases, and athletics we can find, and the academics are decent enough to fall in line with the rest of the schools.

Ensures every team has at least 1 natural rival.

Houston - TCU

SU - Rutgers - UConn

Pitt - WVU

USF - UCF

UC - UL - Memphis

as well as other rivalries like the Memphis - UCF - Houston rivalries from CUSA.

I would hate to lose the rest of the big east basketball only schools its the best basketball league by far and very fun to watch.

To be honest though:  Pitt, SU, WVU are in the top of the conference this year. Louisville and Cincy were mid-pack. Uconn had a down year, but is usually strong, and USF had alot of improvement for once. The "basketball only" schools weren't the top teams this year, other than Villanova and Georgetown. MQ and ND were mid pack (but ND may be gone anyways), but the other 3 teams were average at best (but still competitive).

Losing Villanova and Georgetown and possibly Marquette may hurt some, but if we picked up Memphis, that's at least one good replacement, and Houston could be another, as they're not too shabby. UCF has the ability to be better (new coach pending), though I'm not sure how TCU fares...usually not so well. They may make up for it in baseball and football though, and they'll have more access to northeastern recruiting if they joined up.

Archived